SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

RIML

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allardyce hasn't a clue what to do with Hoilett

All I know is the lad has pace (a rare asset in our team) and has been doing well in the ressies. I don't think Sam has enough faith in the lad, which is why he only makes sparing appearances. He'll never develop that way.

Now I don't watch the ressies so am willing to accept that perhaps I might not be seeing the whole picture (can't remember him getting rave reviews there though), but I've seen the vast majority of first team appearances he's made. Whilst he's nippy I fail to see what else he contributes, perhaps go as far as saying it's more like playing with 10 on the pitch when he plays. He's a luxury player. If we'd enough points to not worry about a couple of bad results, then we could afford to give him a few starts but whilst we're in a battle he's not the sort of player I'd want to see starting.

I know it's a long shot but how about looking at individuals rather than laying all the blame with BFS?

Now I don't watch the ressies so am willing to accept that perhaps I might not be seeing the whole picture (can't remember him getting rave reviews there though), but I've seen the vast majority of first team appearances he's made. Whilst he's nippy I fail to see what else he contributes, perhaps go as far as saying it's more like playing with 10 on the pitch when he plays. He's a luxury player. If we'd enough points to not worry about a couple of bad results, then we could afford to give him a few starts but whilst we're in a battle he's not the sort of player I'd want to see starting.

I know it's a long shot but how about looking at individuals rather than laying all the blame with BFS?

In that case, Mame Diouf, Dunn and Pedersen are all "luxury players" but they've all been given runs in the side. They rarely track back, and if they do, in Pedersen's case, they become a liability. In a team that plays 4-5-1, we need players with pace who can get forward quickly and support the front-man, especially on difficult away games.

If Sam gave Hoilett a decent run in the side, and the guy didn't make it, then I'd credit the boss for trying.

Quite right Neill.

Hoilett needs to do more when he does get his chances - which he's had under Sam. To get a decent run in the side he's got to show something more than he has. I think the lad has got something about him, but he's being used on here to bash Sam again.

rubbish....he's exactley the type of player that if developed properly will flourish in the premier league....direct, quick over the 1st 10 yards, can beat a man one on one....with all the rubbish that we've been playing these last 10 games or so, I just cant see how he's not at least being tried as a impact player for the last half hour....He'd have been perfect to play on Bramble's shoulder for the last 20 minutes against Sunderland...

rubbish....he's exactley the type of player that if developed properly will flourish in the premier league....direct, quick over the 1st 10 yards, can beat a man one on one....with all the rubbish that we've been playing these last 10 games or so, I just cant see how he's not at least being tried as a impact player for the last half hour....He'd have been perfect to play on Bramble's shoulder for the last 20 minutes against Sunderland...

Remember Lennon a few years ago. He has made very good progress

I just think he needs a consistent run in the side to mature his game and become a better all-round player. I don't think the odd appearance here or there benefits any of us. As Bucky alludes to, Lennon frustrated the hell out of fans because he was all pace and nothing else. They stuck with him and now he's a far better player than before. Surely Hoilett is worth giving the same shot?

Marky, you do watch games with more than one eye don't you? Yes he has good qualities but I really don't see how he's going to improve vastly when the whole teams' results are going down the pan. Sunderland - you mean the game when Samba had been sent off so we were down to 10? And bringing Hoilett on would have reduced us effectively to 9 adopting the tactics you suggest? Seem to remember he had 20 - 30 mins vs Liverpool last season (as an example, I'm not suggesting all judgment should be based on that) : that was hardly a revelation, I don't remember too many positives and I can't see what difference he'd make now.

I really dont think we have many other options on how to play... we lack quality ball player in central midfield and up front we are a bit toothless with 3 kids and a donkey (sorry still dont rate roberts)..

No point battering Sam, he had nothing too invest this preseason so we cant expect more than what we are getting, hell he was after getting players in those positions this summer (including 3 of the current top 10 scorers who many here slated) but just could not fund them.

At least kids are getting some experience and we are still not in too poor of a position after 11 games that have included Villa, Liverpool, Man City away and Chelsea and Arsenal at home..

The takeover and a ouple of half decent players over xmas and we will be pretty comfortable.

rubbish....he's exactley the type of player that if developed properly will flourish in the premier league

OK, so I could say that about any youngster not playing regular first team football. Give me some idea of how the coaches are dealing with his development and how you would do it differently?

Or, to cut to the quick, you have no idea how he's being coached and you've never seen him do anything in the first team. Sam bashing.

You get to see him a lot over there in sweden do you Robin? I've seen him plenty this season in the reserves and I know he's a class footballer who will never fit into the system that Sam adopts every week. He's got zilch chance of getting a regular run in the team and building his confidence...He's the only player we have with pace and the ability to beat a man with skill(perhaps Dunn to a point too). People go on about his decision making, but that comes with experience...

In a 442, he would be a perfect partner for Benjani(the best forward at the club by a mile)...but it'll never happen....Hoilett will leave, go to a decent championship or german club and end up playing top level football.

Just judging him from what ive seen on telly when he has come on as a sub(and this season it hasnt been much).

And if it is like you say,it would be a pity if he went somewhere else because we play the way we do right now.

I just think he needs a consistent run in the side to mature his game and become a better all-round player. I don't think the odd appearance here or there benefits any of us. As Bucky alludes to, Lennon frustrated the hell out of fans because he was all pace and nothing else. They stuck with him and now he's a far better player than before. Surely Hoilett is worth giving the same shot?

He's not got a football brain for a start. I think Lennon had a lot more savvy, even as a young player.

For all you guys rubbishing MGP. He was named on the team of the weekend.

Well I'm not surprised as I do wonder what most people see when they go to a game and continue to moan at MGPs contribution - which then takes an even harder line on here when the mb posse work each other into a feeding frenzy.

I rate Pedersen as a decent premier league player, not special but decent - one that may not be the most gifted but always seems to try his hardest despite the boos that ring out when his attempts don't come off. He tracks back, he always trys to get forward, he takes responsibility for nearly all the set pieces, he can head the ball and he does stop opposition attacks, in the 5 years he has been here I cannot remember him not being available so he is clearly very professional (are reading DD?).

So come on the boo posse, who else at the club gives as much as MGP?

PS this wasn't meant to be a Pedersen love-in, I just do not get why he is the target when DD, Grella, Julie, Emo, Hoillet (for gods sake), Banjoni etc seem to produce so much less

But so were most of them. Why pick on him?

Crosses were poor and his set pieces were poor apart from the rare decent free-kick. Also the fact that for large parts of the game Wigan ran rampant through our midfield and he was nowhere to be seen.

Once again people are refusing to accept the truth about Pedersen because of the player he was 4, 5 or 6 years ago. People need to take off the blinkers and realise the truth, that he is a very average and inconsistent player who far more often than not is a detriment to the team.

Crosses were poor and his set pieces were poor apart from the rare decent free-kick. Also the fact that for large parts of the game Wigan ran rampant through our midfield and he was nowhere to be seen.

Once again people are refusing to accept the truth about Pedersen because of the player he was 4, 5 or 6 years ago. People need to take off the blinkers and realise the truth, that he is a very average and inconsistent player who far more often than not is a detriment to the team.

The whole team is very average, so to single out Pedersen shows you have a vendetta against him.

Why does Pedersen get a lot of stick? Because he's supposed to be our key player in midfield. Everything goes through Pedersen, from long-throws to set-pieces. He's also one of the highest earners at the club. Therefore, many of us would expect a little more than mediocrity - it's too bad we've had that for the past four years.

The fact you have to defend him with "he was as bad as everyone else" speaks volumes about his value.

• Backroom

Pedersen does get an unwarranted amount of stick though, even if he plays just OK and the rest of the team are crap he's usually the first to be criticised on here.

I've said it before but his new contract is being justifed far more than Dunn's new one.

But so were most of them. Why pick on him?

He was awful against Chelsea when the rest of the team weren't, and has been consistently dire for the last 5 or 6 games. Unacceptably so when you consider he's one of, if not the, highest paid (whoops - nearly said 'earning' ;) ) players at the club.

Why does Pedersen get a lot of stick? Because he's supposed to be our key player in midfield. Everything goes through Pedersen, from long-throws to set-pieces. He's also one of the highest earners at the club.

We as supporters don't actually know what MGP, or indeed other players, earn.

Archived