BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

RIML

I see another manager has today claimed the their team's defeat was partly down to the "physical battle" you have at Ewood.

WHAT??? PHYSICAL BATTLE??

Lazy comments, lame excuses and lazy journalism not to challenge them. We couldn't have been less physical today if we tried.

It probably looked like because of all the free kicks "won" by players who just couldn't seem to keep their feet. On our side Diouf had an absolute field day with this joke of a referee - but they had a large number of players that went down when one of players dare breath on them.

Though I hate to see the opposition down to 10 - why was their player not given a second yellow ?

Anyone else think that Mame Diouf had his worse game in a rovers shirt - don't think he could have scored if we had played all night.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple question - didn't go today but given the time we have had Sam as manager where is the progression / improvement?

We are barely standing still, grinding out results with no style or flair until we are mathematically safe and we can play with more freedom.

I would love to know Sam's vision - is it just keeping us going till the chicken money arrives or has he lost the spark he demonstrated at Bolton. It may be heresy but at least Blackpool are having a go and winning friends. We are incapable or frightened of playing football - the other team can't score if we've got the ball or am I missing something ?

Simple question - didn't go today but given the time we have had Sam as manager where is the progression /

Zero investment & your always going to struggle....

As for where is the progression...took over in 20th, finished 10th the last time around.

Zero investment & your always going to struggle....

As for where is the progression...took over in 20th, finished 10th the last time around.

Yes i know that and we all understand he got us out of a hole Hughesy, but by this time your namesake was developing us into a decent top half outfit - this team isn't.

If you thought Wigan looked poor, I'm intrigued to know what you thought we looked.

So our win was "lucky" but "never undeserved"? Not sure how at that works. I'm afraid it was both lucky and undeserved.

Wigan lost and to be honest never looked like scoring. They may have had more shots at goal but 90% where right at Robinson. I don't know what the actual possession figures where because there are several wildly different amounts floating around. We looked far superior to Chelsea last weekend and lost.

Secondly, I said that we where lucky today not that the win was lucky. We got lucky that the 2nd goal was given as Emerton was offside for the through ball, but had been flagged a few times when he was well onside.

Finally, we fully deserved the victory because we scored more goals than them!

I also worryingly fully agree with Hughesys likening of Wigan to Everton, in that they had all the possession but didn't make it count.

To Blackburn catering in the Premier suite - best hot pot I've ever had and highlight of the game!!!

Jacks Kitchen by Northcote?? Good aint they!

Everton & Wigan were exactly the same...Ohh luck at us, we can keep the ball - but we dont really do anything with it!! We played much better football last week & got diddle squat...just shows that fancy football isnt everything.

Good gravy but that was dreadful. First game ive gone to this season due to the birth of first child and other than the relief of getting 3 points it really failed to make the 9 hour round trip worth while.

No player in a blue and white shirt seemed to have any idea of what to do going forward. No idea of how to trap or pass a ball. How to track or pressure a player. Givet and Samba looked good at times but very suspect at others. The only consitant players we had was Robbo and the Admiral. Diouf Snr had an uncharistic day off. Pederson was anonomous other than a good lofted pass for the M.Diouf chance and the misshit freekick that flew in.

However, David Dunn, time to put out to pasture, either that or dont even think of playing him til the new year. Tell him to take a couple of months off, lose a couple of stone and then come back, hopefully, as fit as he could be. Putting him on meant we were playing with 10 men for the entire second half(barring injury time and that run).

Truly a terrible game of football.

Definitely a push on Pedersen and from behind too, dirty ******* ;)

The free kick that lead to Wigan's goal, Gomez I think it was, was off balance and falling over before Jones was anywhere near him.

Roberts 2nd goal - WASNT offside

Wigan disallowed goal - Personally I think it was a foul...you them given & see them not given!

MOTD just highlighted the fact we did create a good few chances today, just didnt take them all!

I think we got lucky with the disallowed goal - we'd have been going mad had it been us.

Roberts goal was fine I think, though he very nearly missed it.

Dunn's miss was horrible!

• Backroom

Didn't go today but it doesn't seem like I missed too much but chuffed with the win that's the main thing today.

Changes obviously need to be made in January though, lets just hope Goulon can do the business.

Edit: Just seen the highlights, great run from Chimbonda for Dunns shocking miss, I am one of Pascals fans on his day he is great, shame he is inconsistent

You are joking arent you?? Just got back and apart from that goal he was terrible, Phil Jones got MOM but i didnt think he should have go it, mind you the sponsors had to pick the best from a bad bunch today, But we won so i`m a happy chappy

Nope. It is habit to concentrate on Peders poor play and ignore the good stuff - rare these days but today we saw the old Peders at times. Three outstanding crosses, one perfect header that on any other day (keeper luckily being in the right place) would have gone in and two brilliant lofted through balls, even his throw ins and corners beat the first man. Plus of course the free kick, he didn't even pick the ball up and place it, just floated it in. Compare to Diouf, whose crosses were mostly wayward and nowt from Dunn.

According to the BBC Sam is manager of Bolton (check the manager comments near the bottom):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/9146869.stm

I think we got lucky with the disallowed goal - we'd have been going mad had it been us.

Roberts goal was fine I think, though he very nearly missed it.

Dunn's miss was horrible!

I, for one, would have gone mad if it had been given. Looked a definate shove on MGP from 12,000 miles away.

Wigan looked the better side, probably because that's what they are. Hardly Allardyce's fault, the fact that the likes of Wigan have better players than us is 100% the responsibility of The Walker Trust.

Yet we pretty much ripped Chelsea apart last week.....

Shhhhhhh...

Does that matter at all? No. We lost. It was a good performance but one that doesn't count for a thing. Did it spur the team on today? Not in my book. The only thing that I can think spurred the players on in that game is that they had nothing to lose. I can't see how our o gracious manager had anything to do with the performance that day.

However...the Chelsea game showed that our players can play football...they can pass it around and create chances against the best. I've never doubted that. Fat bar steward simply knocks the confidence out of them in my opinion. They have the talent to play football and not sit back and take what they do. Yesterday we were up against a team you'd expect to comfortably play off the park...we didn't. We certainly didn't earn three points.

When you know what the team can produce but don't see it against a team of that stature and talent...it's only one man's fault in my opinion. His tactics worked by chance...and I haven't seen any post match interviews but I presume he's a mile high up his own ugly intestine right now.

I, for one, would have gone mad if it had been given. Looked a definate shove on MGP from 12,000 miles away.

Goal

For the first time I found myself agreeing with those who have criticised MGP for months. A very good goal coming from a well taken free-kick which was just about perfect - put it a spot which attacks the goal and if everyone misses the ball it's on target for the next. Excellent. However some of his midfield play was just awful.

A well respected MBer told me Sam's pre-match interview spoke of how this week's training concentrated on improving our second-half performance which the manager says has been awful. This left us both a bit non-plussed at half-time, clearly it didn't work as we were just as poor second-half as first!

On the otherhand we created 2 or 3 decent chances, took two and really should have had a third. All very confusing. I hadn't imagined turning up at Ewood to find Wigan have a better team than us, but they do seem to be toothless as for all the time they had the ball I can only recall Robbo having two saves to make. Pretty but not very effective? I did though spend the whole game expecting Rovers to lose as Wigan seemed to spend most of the game camped in our half. A strange day.

Good gravy but that was dreadful. First game ive gone to this season due to the birth of first child and other than the relief of getting 3 points it really failed to make the 9 hour round trip worth while.

No player in a blue and white shirt seemed to have any idea of what to do going forward. No idea of how to trap or pass a ball. How to track or pressure a player. Givet and Samba looked good at times but very suspect at others. The only consitant players we had was Robbo and the Admiral. Diouf Snr had an uncharistic day off. Pederson was anonomous other than a good lofted pass for the M.Diouf chance and the misshit freekick that flew in.

However, David Dunn, time to put out to pasture, either that or dont even think of playing him til the new year. Tell him to take a couple of months off, lose a couple of stone and then come back, hopefully, as fit as he could be. Putting him on meant we were playing with 10 men for the entire second half(barring injury time and that run).

Truly a terrible game of football.

welcome to our season!

Archived