BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

RIML

Sorry I missed this...too busy watching Real blow away Atletico in in the first 20 minutes with that drab football you go on about.

Mourinho is brilliant at what he does. He has sorted them out at the back, got them playing and working in midfield but left plenty of space for attacking excellence.

Still, you do like your stereotypes...

And so they should. They should blow everybody away with their spending power. I wonder who would blow who away should they swop managers? :rock:

Mourhino is a good manager that has to be accepted but his preferred formation from Porto to Chelsea to Milan despite the wealth of the latter two has been to play solid 4-5-1. Leopards and spots, he does not rest easy with flamboyant football but prefers to be solid and a grinder. I don't suppose that it is easy for him at Real with their 'Galactic' levels of expectancy.

Anyway he'll be bombed out inside two years so I don't know why you appear to care so much.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im more doubting Hoilett will become a good player for us.

The times ive seen him play he has shown that the only thing he can do is run fast, no skills in passing or controlling the ball at all.

You get to see him a lot over there in sweden do you Robin? I've seen him plenty this season in the reserves and I know he's a class footballer who will never fit into the system that Sam adopts every week. He's got zilch chance of getting a regular run in the team and building his confidence...He's the only player we have with pace and the ability to beat a man with skill(perhaps Dunn to a point too). People go on about his decision making, but that comes with experience...

In a 442, he would be a perfect partner for Benjani(the best forward at the club by a mile)...but it'll never happen....Hoilett will leave, go to a decent championship or german club and end up playing top level football.

You get to see him a lot over there in sweden do you Robin? I've seen him plenty this season in the reserves and I know he's a class footballer who will never fit into the system that Sam adopts every week. He's got zilch chance of getting a regular run in the team and building his confidence...He's the only player we have with pace and the ability to beat a man with skill(perhaps Dunn to a point too). People go on about his decision making, but that comes with experience...

In a 442, he would be a perfect partner for Benjani(the best forward at the club by a mile)...but it'll never happen....Hoilett will leave, go to a decent championship or german club and end up playing top level football.

We do have an interesting problem with Hoillet.

I have a friend who goes to all Rovers matches and he thinks Hoillet has gone backwards and is nowhere near ready for the first team.

I'm not sure all players improve their decision making with experience as i believe a lot of have lose their way for this very reason.

One of the problems Allardyce has is a lack of experience in bringing through young players.

We do have an interesting problem with Hoillet.

I have a friend who goes to all Rovers matches and he thinks Hoillet has gone backwards and is nowhere near ready for the first team.

I'm not sure all players improve their decision making with experience as i believe a lot of have lose their way for this very reason.

One of the problems Allardyce has is a lack of experience in bringing through young players.

Hoilett needs a run of matches to develop his game and iron out his mistakes. There's no excuse for Sam not giving him a fairer crack. Hardly anyone who plays out wide has done enough to keep him out of the side. Mame Diouf blows more cold than hot, Olsson's been disrupted by injuries, Pedersen is no winger (nor CM :P), so Hoilett should be knocking on the manager's door.

You're clearly forgetting about Martin Olsson.

Oh and Kalinic is the best forward at the club by a mile.

Oh and Kalinic is the best forward at the club by a mile.

Not on this season's performances. Kalinic has been terrible - Benjani and Roberts have both completely outclassed him. Sad to say it but I don't think Kalinic is going to make it, irrespective of whatever tactics Sam uses. He just doesn't cause defenders problems in this league. Average pace, average strength, average finishing. Only thing remarkable about Kali is his first touch and ability to turn and neither of those attributes are going to get a centre back to sweat at night.

Roberts has been dog ###### this season.

Kalinic can't play upfront on his own in this system. That's not his fault - that's the fault of manager. Spending £6m on a player not suited to your system (when £6m is all you're going to get) is moronic.

Benjani's just a lump, albeit one with a bit of skill. He's still pretty mediocre, but he suits this system.

In his two games he almost carved out the winner against Chelsea and SCORED the winner last week.

Yeah, he's been terrible...

Roberts, sadly for some, is the best striker we have for Big Sam's tactics. I'd say Benjani if he wasn't such a crock.

In his two games he almost carved out the winner against Chelsea and SCORED the winner last week.

Yeah, he's been terrible...

Roberts, sadly for some, is the best striker we have for Big Sam's tactics. I'd say Benjani if he wasn't such a crock.

Always been a fan of Roberts. Hard worker, team player, perfect for playing up on his own. Not the best finisher, but i'm always more confident if I see Roberts on the teamsheet. At least we'll have some graft up top.

Hoilett needs a run of matches to develop his game and iron out his mistakes. There's no excuse for Sam not giving him a fairer crack. Hardly anyone who plays out wide has done enough to keep him out of the side. Mame Diouf blows more cold than hot, Olsson's been disrupted by injuries, Pedersen is no winger (nor CM :P), so Hoilett should be knocking on the manager's door.

I see..... So you watch Hoillett every day in training too I take it Topman?

Kalinic can't play upfront on his own in this system. That's not his fault - that's the fault of manager. Spending £6m on a player not suited to your system (when £6m is all you're going to get) is moronic.

Benjani's just a lump, albeit one with a bit of skill. He's still pretty mediocre, but he suits this system.

I would like to see us to try two up front to see if it works, but I am skeptical. I am not sure there is any space in the league for 'fox in the box' type of striker who poaches goals and nothing else. All the decent strikers in the league, two up or one up, are either:-

1) Very quick (Bent, Owen, Defoe)

2) Very skillful (Berbatov, Gudjohnsen)

3) Very strong (Davies, Kenwyn Jones, Caroll)

4) A combination of all the above (Torres, Rooney, Drogba)

Kalinic is none of these things. I can't think of a player of his type who has been successful in the Prem in the last ten years. Defenders can just stand off and completely nullify him as they are stronger and quicker.

Plus there are at least ten game a season where we just can't play two up front - when we are away against the top half of the table - as we will get taken apart by the opposition midfield. So even if we go 442 for a few games it is not going to be a consistent tactic.

Unfortunately that might be a little like saying a fit Grella could be our best midfield player.

Or a fit Dunn our best...

Sadly, you're right 92er. [i don't mean that I'm sad that you're right, I mean I'm ....... oh, you know what I mean]. :lol:

:rover: the result was all that mattered on saturday,but whats going on with sicknote benjani,i thought lard@rse and his team looked at him in the summer to see if he was fit enough for the premier,2 starts and he's off at h time,i hope he's paid per 90 mins :wacko::brfc:

:rover: the result was all that mattered on saturday,but whats going on with sicknote benjani,i thought lard@rse and his team looked at him in the summer to see if he was fit enough for the premier,2 starts and he's off at h time,i hope he's paid per 90 mins :wacko::brfc:

I am surprised I haven't heard or read any update about Benjani.

My wife noticed he didn't shake Roberts' hand when he came off.

Was that because he was really upset?

I see..... So you watch Hoillett every day in training too I take it Topman?

All I know is the lad has pace (a rare asset in our team) and has been doing well in the ressies. I don't think Sam has enough faith in the lad, which is why he only makes sparing appearances. He'll never develop that way.

I am surprised I haven't heard or read any update about Benjani.

My wife noticed he didn't shake Roberts' hand when he came off.

Was that because he was really upset?

I was at the match and got that impression myself but when I watched Football First on Sky the commentaters were expecting him to come off five or ten minutes before he did as they had seen signs of an injury. So maybe he was just disappointed that he was injured again.

Archived