BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

RIML

Oh yeah, from where I was sat either J-Rob coolly steered it with a marksman's precision into the bottom corner, or he shinned it and got lucky. I know which my money is on!

And Dunny, don't start celebrating before you've put the ball in! How the fook did he miss that?!?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know how we can play against Chelsea so well and then we put in a performance like that when its a must win match :blink: totally bizzare.

3 points is all that matters and im happy with that but for a few refs decisions the game could have been a lot different, im not going to go on about tactics as its been done to death but one thing stood out for me we are in dire need of some quality, first half was boring as hell but we played ok we just lacked decent quality on the ball.

Dont think Jones was MOM, was'nt it him who moved out of the wall for their goal? Emerton for me was our best player, he really got forward well and tracked back too, he lacks a bit of quality on the ball and he cant head for toffee but his effort getting forward gives us options.

Only team in the bottom half with a win today and we must build on that.

I dont know how we can play against Chelsea so well and then we put in a performance like that when its a must win match :blink: totally bizzare.

3 points is all that matters and im happy with that but for a few refs decisions the game could have been a lot different, im not going to go on about tactics as its been done to death but one thing stood out for me we are in dire need of some quality, first half was boring as hell but we played ok we just lacked decent quality on the ball.

Dont think Jones was MOM, was'nt it him who moved out of the wall for their goal? Emerton for me was our best player, he really got forward well and tracked back too, he lacks a bit of quality on the ball and he cant head for toffee but his effort getting forward gives us options.

Only team in the bottom half with a win today and we must build on that.

I thought Emerton looked the best of a bad bunch, too.

Salgado - 8 showed his class

Emerton 6 poor overall but good ball for the goal

Dunn 6 some good touches at the end

Just goes to show how two peole can watch the same game - and end up with different opinions. I thought Salgado was constantly caught out - and I really worry when we play Tottingham as Bale will have him for breakfast.

Emerton - I thought he had a fairly good game - not earth shattering - but put in a good shift and was at the centre of a lot of our good breaks.

Dunn - slow, out of touch and missed a sitter ?

Overall a strange game - Wigan looked the more controlled team - but we had enough chances to win the match. They have some good players - with pace and aggression - but something isn't quite right - either in defence or up front.

That really was a superb free kick and watching the higlights Peders played very well today, like the man of old. Who was MoM?

You are joking arent you?? Just got back and apart from that goal he was terrible, Phil Jones got MOM but i didnt think he should have go it, mind you the sponsors had to pick the best from a bad bunch today, But we won so i`m a happy chappy

Robinson - 8 some excellent saves

Salgado - 8 showed his class

Nelson - 7 solid

Samba - 7 shakey and both brilliant at times

Givet - 7 solid but caught out of pos a few times

Jones 6 no midfielder thought his distribution was shocking today mom???

Pederson 6 great goal but so prone to awfulness it's embarrassing

Diouf 7 not one of his best games but solid enough

Emerton 6 poor overall but good ball for the goal

Benjani 7 some good vision and touches but what happened??

Subs

Roberts 6 poor on the whole, couldnt really miss the goal, even by his standards

Dunn 6 some good touches at the end

Chimbonda 5

So you didn't notice Mame Diouf either then?

Remember when we lost 5-3 at Wigan, I'm sure Wigan's last two goals were both offside, so I don't give a flying fig about Roberts' goal.

Oh and I transferred Pedersen into my fantasy football team before the game, he always scores some crackers against Wigan. Mwah, love you Peders ;)

I thought that Emerton put in the required effort, but his choice of pass, and when to release it, where awful. His control is non existant, I don't think that he makes defenders turn enough. We seem to have picked up the habit of putting in good challenges, winning the ball, then giving it back with the very next touch. But we won, so happy days.

I think its time we look at replacing Sam. I know he did well keeping us up, but his football is more than capable of taking us down as well. Its seriously worrying, that Wigan are rippping us apart on our own home ground.

Yet we pretty much ripped Chelsea apart last week.....

Shhhhhhh...

Jason Roberts came on and scores in his second game! I think the lad deserves a chance. He works hard and tries. He looked hungry and its all about being there when you get a chance and thats Jason's all about, he maybe don't always score but he's there. You saw it in his eyes when he scored, thank god it went in!

Roberts was well offside for the 2nd,haha, it was right in front of me,

The replays on tv showed he was even with the defender so no complain. Good by Roberts, not to be honest as usual!

35% possession at HOME to WIGAN ?

Says it all for me, the game was awful, the pie eaters should have won it, they were far more comforatable on the ball than us, they played some slick passing football and apart from that cheating diving spick of a number 14 they deserved much more.

all about the 3 points at the end of the day though, we stole them.

Cant see anything else coming our way in the next 7 days apart from 2 heavy defeats.

Don't know how people can say Roberts was anything above useless today bar from the goal. It seems in playing Benjani we are wasting a sub because we have to take him off due to injury every game. Matchday programme read "Up and running" regarding Benjani and goals; I'm sorry but I haven't seen him run yet! Medium paced jog at best! Overall it was a horrible performance getting outplayed by a team we should be dominating. Happy to get the 3 points but I was genuinely bored majority of the game. Had Wigan got a deserved equaliser those cheers at the end of the game would have been deafening boos. Good result, horrible performance.

Just got back and its obvious WE cannot hold the ball and keep possession. We are the home team and our possession is around 35%, its not good enough against teams like Wigan, against better teams the opposition will kill us. We miss Tugay so much, someone who can hold the ball and orchestrate. Furthermore, playing 1 up front (especially at home) gives us no chance of keeping the ball as that player is isolated as we appear to be playing too deep.

The tactics and football are grim and whilst other similar teams such as WBA, Blackpool, Bolton seem to be improving, playing decent football and playing well, Rovers under Sam's stone age tactics are going backwards....

He did well keeping us up, but time and tactics have moved on and we cannot let the win to day mask the quality of the football we are playing this season.

First half was one of the worst impersonations of a football match for a very long time. Possibly the worst since Villa a few seasons back.

Second half was only a marginal improvement despite the goals.

But to paraphrase Mick McCarthy's post match interview after Wolves had a great game at Utd but lost "I don't want to come to Ewood and hear everyone say we played really well and then look at the papers the next morning and see we lost."

That really was a superb free kick and watching the higlights Peders played very well today, like the man of old. Who was MoM?

Ludicrously that honour went to Phil Jones who gave the worst performance of his short career. The only real contender for MoM was Robinson. Awful awful performance by a team that did not deserve a point never mind 3! Exact opposite of last week when we deserved something and got nothing.

The most incredibly amateurish piece of management that I have ever witnessed was the introduction of Chimbonda who had absolutely no idea where he was supposed to play or what he was supposed to do. Salgado sent him away as did Givet leaving Chimbonda with no position. For a man who supposedly manages by being thorough and leaving nothing to chance the best comment I can make is that SA was inept today.

Today the players were flat footed and seemed to refuse to cover for others as well as run off the ball into space leaving their teammates isolated with no one to passs to. Control was awful across the board and passing equally bad.

Forget the result there is relegation written all over us on this display. The defence did OK but our midfield is desperately poor with MGP and Emerton absolutely inept today plus and for whatever reason the two strikers who played so well last week looked awful.

In fact if we had put the entire team, the manager and the ref into a big bag, shook it and then picked up a big stick and hit the bag then whoever was hit could not have complained!

best way i can describe the game today was that we did, what we had to do!!

nelly was fantastic, as was salgado down the flank, supporting his midfielder and getting back into position. morten, well he was as per usual...not always what we watned from set peices, but his work rate as per usual is outstanding. while i am at it.....the geezer that was walking down the steps behind me at the end, is "whoops I missed off the "g" CLOWN".

• Backroom

Mixed feelings about that one. Very glad to have the 3 points in the bag, but it's been a long time since I've seen such a poor Rovers team (minus the Ince era). I don't really feel uplifted, just relieved.

Also, it's wrong to say we "won ugly" today because it's not like we got in their faces. We won poorly, simple as that. If Wigan had a fraction more quality in their team the result would have been reversed.

We got lucky today. I'm expecting a lot more than that in future, and praying to every deity under the sun that we have money to spend in January.

Archived