BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tottenham Hotspur vs Blackburn Rovers

Hughesy once again trying to put a positive spin on a truly dreadful performance. Those that come home tonight and check the scoreline and see it being 4-2 will think that Rovers put in a good performance and made Spurs work hard for the win but that was just not the case. The 4-2 scoreline flattered us; Spurs should have been at least 4-0 in the first half. They had almost 80% possession for large parts of the game and had 12 attempts on goal and 12 corners.

4-2 may have been the scoreline but we were absolutely outplayed and deservedly lost. They could have easily got to double figures.

That's so over the top it's hilarious.

Spurs deserved their win. We were poor in the first half. We made some terrible defensive lapses. These are all true.

80% possession? :lol: They had 70 when they were dominating us in the early stages but this got eroded as the game went on, not sure what the final percentage was but it was NEVER 80.

They had 12 attempts, we had 8. Corners? Big deal.

Spurs won the game early on but we played well in the second half.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I feel quite proud, ok we lost but Spurs still tried to waste time towards the end, we get one goal back and they panicked.

I'm disappointed with the goals we conceded, Givet gifted them a couple of goals, we conceded from a set-piece again but one goal was hand ball. We had shots cleared off the line too, so we were unlucky not to have scored more. Saying that Spurs should have probably scored more than 4.

Is this the first time under Harry Redknapp Spurs have conceded more than one goal at home in the league?

Oh and Ryan Nelsen scoring for Rovers will always make me happy.

Did Nelsen get a touch on the first goal, credited to Dunn initially.

Hope Junior's run in the team continues he seems to be causing teams problems.

Tactical naivety cost us in the first half. We started with a gameplan, tactics and system designed to combat Newcastle and Andy Carroll/Shola Ameobi's aerial threat. No concession was made for Gareth Bale and his pace, and Salgado should not have started because, as predicted, he was getting ripped at will by Bale. It was the same mentality as me wearing the same pair of undercrackers cos we'd won the last time I wore them - it seemed like Sam kept the same system purely because we'd won the last time we tried it.

Credit to him for changing fairly early on, and we did come back into the game in the second, but that could just be because Spurs took their foot off the gas at 4-0 up. Sounded like we had a fair few chances, which kind of makes the errors in the gamplan in the first even more galling.

Oh well, didn't expect to get anything today anyway.

Salgado didn't do too badly against Bale.

The first half I cannot even comment on. The second half, Rovers just shot themselves in the foot.

Up front and through the mid, the play was consistent, if almost good. However when you have a hand pass assist against you, 2 shots cleared off of the line, defenders passing it to the opposition strikers, and a wonder kid named bale tearing your defense up, the day is never going to end in your favor.

One of the commentators was sucking off Spuds and how they're a london club near the end of the game and said the scoreline flattered rovers. At first I was yelling at the screen disagreeing, but it's true. We were embarrassingly poor overall today, and for all of our unconverted chances, they had a missed pen and a 2 on 0 not converted as well. The game could have been 6-4.

Not. Good. Enough.

Hoilett and Jones (apart from one woeful back pass) were superb.

Spurs' 4th goal should have been chalked off for hand ball and the 3rd was a gift from Givet who simply should have got rid but then Gomes gifted him his goal.

Rovers contributed well to a cracking game but were always second best.

Ref was really poor but could easily have given EHD a second yellow in the 87th minute and not blown for a non-existant ankle tap prior to EHD's awful pass to Pav a minute later so things evened out a bit at the end for all his bad earlier decisions.

For all the bigging up of Spurs going on on this thread, Robinson was not particularly busy, we forced successions of corners and Spurs twice cleared off the line.

Ah well 4-2 isn't too bad, most would have expected us to lose 2-0 at least.

Hoilett sounds like he had another good game, glad he is coming on finally.

We got done by the form player in the league and his world class mate today, no shame in that.

Yeah, I'm glad he stayed in the starting VI today. I think he's slowly settling into the wing role and today showed more composure on the ball. His pace is a bonus, but it was nice to see some trickery and a couple of accurate crosses today.

Did Nelsen get a touch on the first goal, credited to Dunn initially.

Hope Junior's run in the team continues he seems to be causing teams problems.

Ye he touched it, definitely Nelsen's goal :P

The first half I cannot even comment on......We were embarrassingly poor overall today, and for all of our unconverted chances, they had a missed pen and a 2 on 0 not converted as well. The game could have been 6-4.

Not. Good. Enough.

another ridiculous over reaction. honestly, what the dickens are you talking about??????????????????????

I would have preferred 6 - 4.

enjoyable game. loads of positives.

Its alright saying not good enough but they had Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart in midfield today, 3 exceptional Champions League quality players, we are on a limited budget and resources and gave as good as we got from what I saw in the second half. We produced some good passing and created chances, we had 2 cleared off the line and 2 saved by Gomes from Diouf and Dunn. We just didn't defend well enough and allowed them too much space in midfield. Hoilett again ran at the defence and a huge plus, Dunn looked sharp when he came on, passed the ball short and long brilliantly and tried to get his old one-twos on the edge of the box going.

Performances and results are improving, Villa up next and lets concentrate on getting ourselves a result.

Its alright saying not good enough but they had Bale, Modric and Van Der Vaart in midfield today, 3 exceptional Champions League quality players, we are on a limited budget and resources and gave as good as we got from what I saw in the second half. We produced some good passing and created chances, we had 2 cleared off the line and 2 saved by Gomes from Diouf and Dunn. We just didn't defend well enough and allowed them too much space in midfield. Hoilett again ran at the defence and a huge plus, Dunn looked sharp when he came on, passed the ball short and long brilliantly and tried to get his old one-twos on the edge of the box going.

Performances and results are improving, Villa up next and lets concentrate on getting ourselves a result.

DON'T TALK SENSE!

One of the commentators was sucking off Spuds and how they're a london club near the end of the game and said the scoreline flattered rovers. At first I was yelling at the screen disagreeing, but it's true. We were embarrassingly poor overall today, and for all of our unconverted chances, they had a missed pen and a 2 on 0 not converted as well. The game could have been 6-4.

Not. Good. Enough.

So, we were embarassingly poor overall today, but could have scored four goals away against a Spurs side brimming with quality?

I think our mistake was to open up our game against such a talented team.

So, we were embarassingly poor overall today, but could have scored four goals away against a Spurs side brimming with quality?

I'm guessing you didn't watch the match.

We didn't 'open up', we simply gifted possession to Spuds.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the match.

I watched the match, thanks for asking. And feel we were more open than usual. I'm not saying we played scintillating possession football. It was 4-2 and could have been more for either side. It was open. We didn't have shape at the back, we weren't entrenched enough.

Criminal defending today, Tottenham could have 6-7 realistically. Going forwards we looked quite good in the second half but the top and bottom of it is you cannot defend so poorly in this league and expect to gain anything from a game regardless of how impressive we were attacking wise.

another ridiculous over reaction. honestly, what the dickens are you talking about??????????????????????

I would have preferred 6 - 4.

enjoyable game. loads of positives.

Talking about in reguards to what? I'd be happy to go into further detail with any of the points I made. Also, I find it a stretch to call this game "enjoyable" as a Rovers fan. In addition; What were some of the positives you took from this game?

Yes and yes actually, with a slight disagreement on your last remark. A spurs side brimming with quality is a bit of a reach, the have Bale and VdV. I also think Crouch is extremely underrated. But brimming with quality and having a good game plan are two different things. I agree with you that our mistake was to try and open up against a team which makes its living off speed. We never really opened up well enough to flow till the last 10 minutes, and either we committed too many forward when we tried to, or had to hold back and couldn't support the attack enough to get one going.

Agreed.

Yes and yes actually, with a slight disagreement on your last remark. A spurs side brimming with quality is a bit of a reach, the have Bale and VdV. I also think Crouch is extremely underrated. But brimming with quality and having a good game plan are two different things. I agree with you that our mistake was to try and open up against a team which makes its living off speed. We never really opened up well enough to flow till the last 10 minutes, and either we committed too many forward when we tried to, or had to hold back and couldn't support the attack enough to get one going.

I think the only way you can say both that we could have had four goals away (more than we've scored for a long time...or possibly ever under Allardyce in the league?) and yet were embarassingly poor overall is if you think Spurs are a very poor team. They're clearly not. This team qualified for the Champions League, and whilst Spurs have been very overrated in the past, I think they have an excellent team now. Since Woodgate and King are constantly injured, I actually feel we have a better defence (though it didn't really show today), but I'm not sure how you could think their midfield and forwards aren't better than every single one of ours. Pavlyuchenko aside perhaps, who I think is a very poor finisher (glad Defoe didn't play, he might have notched four against us today). I mean come on, our former best player, who would still saunter into our team now, is on their bench regularly. They are brimming with quality, especially compared to us.

Need to beat Villa on Sunday now and we could be in the relegation zone by then gutted. But didn't expect anything today

Has the game been changed?

But they are not. Sat in the row behind Big Sam, John williams and one or two more of the board. Also Jerome Anderson is sat between them!!!!!

I think he might have meant it as a joke.

Archived