BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Rovers Boss

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new boss isnt the key question. Funding is. It wouldnt matter if Mourinho walked through the door if Venky's arent willing to throw some cash around in January.

Iam not passing judgement on our new owners until after January. Their actions have been confused but will ultimately hinge on new players and significant investmant.

IF they can bring in quality players to substantially improve our team, then I will feel that they could have conducted things differently but ultimately have put money where their mouth is.

We needed to be bought so that money could be injected. In my eyes I dont care what Venky's do at this stage. It looks slightly ridiculous right now but for all we know it might work. If they throw £20m into new players then who's to say we couldnt be fighting in the top half?

They should be given a chance. Changing manager is easy. Backing their new choice of manager with money will be the true test.

Interesting to keep an eye on the odds on Betfair to our next manager as they do not pay out on appointment 'to the end of the season'. They do however pay out on the first manager to get 10 Premiership games, Kean obviously has only one so far. His current odds are 1/3, with Jones 16/1 Benitez 28/1 Pearce 32/1.

Think the odds will alter with every game. Should be an interesting barometer on how things are going.

Wish I never read that - sure someone will tell me again the club needed to be shaken up....

I read it but failed to spot the truth. Is there any actual truth in it?

Oh wait....it's from a red top rag.....well at least the hystericals amongst our support will take it all on board like a sponge and continue running around shouting "we all doooomed"

I read it but failed to spot the truth. Is there any actual truth in it?

Oh wait....it's from a red top rag.....well at least the hystericals amongst our support will take it all on board like a sponge and continue running around shouting "we all doooomed"

Please tell me what I and many others should be positive about right now? Honest question.

Can't say I'd blame Williams if he walked. He's being completely undermined and for all his efforts deserves to be treated much better than this. Wonder if he would have grounds for constructive dismissal as his position as chairman seems untenable.

Add to that Samba only worth £6m?!? We certainly couldn't replace him for that amount.

7 players at the Rovers Christmas Party. No doubt some will blame the weather!!

Fan-bloody-tastic. Absolutely gutted right now.

Interesting to keep an eye on the odds on Betfair to our next manager as they do not pay out on appointment 'to the end of the season'. They do however pay out on the first manager to get 10 Premiership games, Kean obviously has only one so far. His current odds are 1/3, with Jones 16/1 Benitez 28/1 Pearce 32/1.

Think the odds will alter with every game. Should be an interesting barometer on how things are going.

Just to clarify, once Kean has hit 10 games they will pay out if you have bet on him (already) to become permanent manager?

Let's get some perspective. John Williams must have realised Kean was number one choice, most of us on here expected it over the past few days. I can't see him quitting over that.

The article goes on to list basically a lot of our players that are considered half decent. They won't all leave over this. I think the journalist just thinks they are players other teams would consider.

If samba really wants to leave then we will cash in on him. Venkys have stated that the extra money made can be spent and I see no reason why a decent replacement can't be found.

Deep down we all want this team to be shaken up. It is a pretty poor team to be fair. Its just a case of hoping we can settle new players into the team quickly.

We needed to be bought so that money could be injected. In my eyes I dont care what Venky's do at this stage. It looks slightly ridiculous right now but for all we know it might work. If they throw £20m into new players then who's to say we couldnt be fighting in the top half?

I think they're going to have to bring in £20m worth of players to recover this situation!

I prefer 6 million is a realistic sum for Samba... Yeah right.

6 million wouldn't even get his right testicle

Would not want to sell one of our better players.

Kean needs two straight wins IMO to A) get support, B) Have any chance of attracting players in the window

That is really BAD NEWS if you asked me. It shows that all decisions are being made in India and Switzerland! Not at Ewood Park and NOT by the chairman and board. Think there is going to be massive problems behind the scenes at board level and players level. Not of them have a clue what is going on at the club. And EITHER do the fans.

We have gone from being the best run club in the PL to the biggest joke club in the PL.

THIS IS NOT WHAT JACK WALKER WANTED FOR US AT ALL!!!!!!!! :angry2::angry2::angry:

1. Desai said that she expected between 8th and 12th this season (not 10th-12th), the document sent to shareholders states that funds will be made available on a consistent basis- they also said in an original interview that this would be the case. Anything can happen but I wouldf expect us to finish between 10th-12th this year.

2. Petrov and Corluka cost under £11 million not £16 million, Anderson also provided Elano, Garrido and Gelson Fernandes, all bar two players are currently playing at the highest level in Italy or England. So he has shown that he can provide top quality players.

3. I think I was infering more about the away record not the home one, when fans are spending hundreds of pounds on away games and watching the trying for a draw/ getting mauled 4 goals/ 7 goals etc, there is an issue, which obviously was enough to get Sam sacked.

4. Thousands of coaches do not possess the Pro License which I believe Kean has. You call our owners cretins... after 4 weeks. Based on what exactly? Firing Sam? Mixed messages in the media? Think about it.

5. Did not realise Jol had been offered the job. IF the job was advertised today we would get hundreds of applicants for the job. I will say it again most managers want to manage in the PL and there only a handful of jobs out there, Mancini was turned down for the Rovers after winning the Serie A title 3 years on the bounce.

6. Newcastle.. are Newcastle, the fans are ungrateful for what Ashley has done there. Our owners have been at the helm for a few weeks, surely wait and see is the best policy?

Protesting is fine but I see little reason to at the moment, I would say 1st February would be the ideal time to assess the situation both on and off the pitch, would you not agree?

1. Funds that will be available this January, which is the key bit since we're in such imminent danger, was always quoted at £5 million until recently. They change their minds terribly often, and it still doesn't negate the point that tens of millions plus a total novice manager plus everything else thats going on is still far less preferable to a stable set up, a good manager and a sensible leadership. History has proven that time and time again.

2. Martin Petrov was £4.7 million, Corluka was £8 million. So closer to £13 million. The principle would still stand either way. Elano - cracking in his first season, faded massively, still pretty decent player. However was bought for £8 million, and his last transfer was Galatasaray to Santos for £2.5 million. Still under 30. Garrido - fell out of favour at City, signed for Lazio this summer, has made one Serie A appearance so far. Gelson Fernandes - signed for £4.2 million, sold to St Etienne for £2 million, last seen being loaned out to Chievo. When you add that to Bianchi and Bojinov theyre far, far more capable of providing underwhelming players.

3. Sam's away record was enough to get him sacked?! What absolute and utter tosh. No other owner can and should look at any record apart from the combined home and away record to start with, as that's what matters. He had a superb home record and if any record should matter it's that, since that's what gets the punters in.

However, last season there were seven teams, including big spending Sunderland, with a worse away record than ours. This season there are also seven teams with a worse away record than ours, including Liverpool and Villa. So what if we had a few bad results against big teams, any owners that sack a manager based on two or three isolated bad scores are positively cretinous as are any fans who back such a decision.

4. To be honest my number was a guess, as probably is yours. Maybe someone like Majiball can give a proper estimate, but essentially it's still meaningless. When Ince didn't have his badges it was a disgrace because he couldn't even be bothered to get the minimum requirements needed for football management. Kean having his doesn't do any massive credit to him, it's what's expected. But he's nothing like the hugely respected figure you and others paint him out to be otherwise he wouldnt have had a backroom job at Rovers and wouldnt have spent his career trailing Chris Coleman's tail. A few people have said he's got a good football brain - oh and Venky's say he works hard, so he must be good right?

5. Jol said in the papers he would turn it down. There's nothing to say that he would suddenly be interested if he saw an advert for it. How many genuinely good managers do you think would be interested? Mancini was an odd case, he was desperate to get into the PL, but I can guarantee we wont have plenty of top coaches asking to manage us.

6. Ungrateful for what Ashley has done?! This is the point - he's ploughed in hundreds of millions but he's still messed it up through his terrible decisions. Newcastle fans are stupid because they went along with some of those terrible decisions to start with (sacking Sam, appointing Keegan, appointing Shearer), but it still reinforces my point that you can put huge amounts of money in and still destroy the club with bad decisionmaking.

Any news of any irregular betting patterns today relating to Kean's appointment till the end of the season?

Aha, I think we maybe thinking along the same lines.

I haven't seen anything yet but there was just before Sam got the bullet. Interesting to note huge amounts being placed in London and Glasgow.

http://www.lancashir...umours/?ref=rss

4. Thousands of coaches do not possess the Pro License which I believe Kean has. You call our owners cretins... after 4 weeks. Based on what exactly? Firing Sam? Mixed messages in the media? Think about it.

imy Quote

ButSteve Kean hasnt his pro license

England

[edit] Qualified in 2002

Dick Bate

Noel Blake

Terry Burton

Tony Dorigo

Steve Cotterill

Mervyn Day

Dario Gradi

Stewart Houston