BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Rovers Boss

Was that before or after the Man Utd game? Her reasons were clear why she sacked him, likewise other things may change in the future, however their background suggests they have integrity, we'll see.

Really should not be judging players or managers on one game, it really is not the way to go, regardless of how good the victory/defeat is.

Her reasons were clear? Surely you are not being serious.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really should not be judging players or managers on one game, it really is not the way to go, regardless of how good the victory/defeat is.

Her reasons were clear? Surely you are not being serious.

She wants to market the club in India, she wants the team to "entertain the fans" watching the Man Utd game is similar to many away games over the last couple of seasons, we have gone there with the mentality of not wanting to lose rather than trying to win. I think the Man Utd game confirmed to Desai what she has heard about Sam previously.

I am not agreeing with this, in fact I would say that she is wrong but I can see why she has made the decision, timing leaves me baffled though.

She wants to market the club in India, she wants the team to "entertain the fans" watching the Man Utd game is similar to many away games over the last couple of seasons, we have gone there with the mentality of not wanting to lose rather than trying to win. I think the Man Utd game confirmed to Desai what she has heard about Sam previously.

I am not agreeing with this, in fact I would say that she is wrong but I can see why she has made the decision, timing leaves me baffled though.

Good to hear you are not agreeing with it, Venky's like to contradict themselves.

How about having a manager in charge who has never managed in his life before - who knows what the future holds in terms of results, but do you think this is a risky move?

Good to hear you are not agreeing with it, Venky's like to contradict themselves.

How about having a manager in charge who has never managed in his life before - who knows what the future holds in terms of results, but do you think this is a risky move?

VERY risky, the guy has never managed before, however if they are going to keep him temporarily I prefer what they have done, which is give him a chance til the end of the season- thus ensuring some continuity and the players know where they stand. Also means that if it works great, if not then we'll have a new man in the summer.

I firmly believe that we are going for the European model of Head Coach and Director of football, which is different from what we have done earlier.

How about having a manager in charge who has never managed in his life before

Didnt stop 'the translator' or pep guardiola doing alright?

(im not trying to take your post out of context, its just the attitude that because he has never done it he will be rubbish and fail)

Its risky but has just as much chance of paying off as it does going tits up.

(im not trying to take your post out of context, its just the attitude that because he has never done it he will be rubbish and fail)

Risky if you could potentially get relegated - I would suggest clubs like Barca don't have to worry about that due to the calibre of player on their books.

Do you think Kean would have been appointed if Jerome Anderson was not involved?

I wonder:

- who convinced Venky's that Sam wasn't the right man for the job (until the summer at least).

- whether Kean will pick his own targets or choose solely from a list drawn up by Kentaro.

- if key players and personnel are listened to at all.

- whether a couple of 'bad' losses will mean 'until the summer' is while it's still snowing.

Consistency is key in football, I hope whoever is advising them on footballing matters makes that clear.

VERY risky, the guy has never managed before, however if they are going to keep him temporarily I prefer what they have done, which is give him a chance til the end of the season- thus ensuring some continuity and the players know where they stand. Also means that if it works great, if not then we'll have a new man in the summer.

I firmly believe that we are going for the European model of Head Coach and Director of football, which is different from what we have done earlier.

Whichever model we go for it is imperative that the ship is steadied and the manager receives the full support of everyone until the end of the season. That includes owners, players, fans, groundstaff, tealady etc. Anything less puts us at serious risk of relegation.

The last thing we want is Samba or any other key player being granted transfer requests in January. If there are to be changes then lets see how the season pans out first.

The owners must realise the depth of feeling against them. It's now time for them to show us that we are wrong.

mourinho did manage lesser teams with success wasn't just given Porto job, and in no way can we be compred to barca in any way shape or form...I'd setlle for one of the clubs former great players over kean, who I get the impression is not respected by our current squad given the wanting out and grumbling.

mourinho did manage lesser teams with success wasn't just given Porto job, and in no way can we be compred to barca in any way shape or form...I'd setlle for one of the clubs former great players over kean, who I get the impression is not respected by our current squad given the wanting out and grumbling.

memories of spunking 12m+ on Ashley ward, mcateer, and Blake under the untested no.2 Kidd flooding back.

No he had the Benfica job first, after working as an assistant, getting the jist yet?

Guardiola was appointed manager after working with the stiffs in the B side.

All i have heard from the media outlets with regards to Kean is that he is one of the brightest young coaches about and it was only time before he was going to make the step up. People like Craig Brown are no mugs, they have been there, seen it, done it and i think his opinion on Kean carries weight.

Sorry for getting behind the manager and not nailing his cross together already.

There was a good article in the LET today by Kevin Gallacher who knows Steve Kean. He talks about how he was forced to retire at an early age and how he has worked hard to get where he is.

So he is hard working ? So What ? Nothing wrong with that in my book.

There is no doubt that this is a gamble by Venkys and there are plenty of examples where it has gone wrong for coaches that have stepped up to be a manager but I am hoping that he will turn out to be the next Moyes or Coyle.

Everything I have read and heard from ex players or coaches that have worked with him suggest he is a "proper football man", he knows his stuff and most of all he is determined. Maybe that fact that his playing career was cut short has made him determined to make it as a manager.

I think there have been a few half decent managers that haven't had the greatest playing career.

Maybe I am clutching at straws here, and I'm sure when we are bottom of league 2 I will get abuse for being naive and stupid to think that a young Scottish coach who is hard working and described as a "proper football man" might actually be just what we need.

All i have heard from the media outlets with regards to Kean is that he is one of the brightest young coaches about and it was only time before he was going to make the step up. People like Craig Brown are no mugs, they have been there, seen it, done it and i think his opinion on Kean carries weight.

Brown basically said that Kean was the new Archie Knox. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Craig Brown and his opinions haven't been relevant at this level for years, if ever.

1. Venkys have said that we will spend more than £5 million in January. Desai has also said that we will spend a substantial amount for the next three years, it is documented and she has said it.

2. Every agent has a vested interest, difference being in our case we should have people wanting the very best to arrive at our club, otherwise it is not worth while.

3. Agreed, Sam would have kept us, playing the most dire brand of football seen at Ewood for many a year- not my words but of people who go on a regular basis.

4. He is respected by the players and by his peers. His selling point to the owners would have been that he will get the squad playing "attractive football and win." He is also qualified (something the likes of Ince were not), even so I agree a gamble.

5. There are 20 PL clubs which realistically means there are about 4-5 jobs a YEAR available, the question would be which person would turn it down!

6. Ashley bought the club then virtually straight away has been trying to sell it, I have not seen millions thrown at the club- after he purchased it. Pompey, well, they were bought on debt which was then piled on the club, cant compare now- hopefully never.

Venkys deserve a chance, they have invested over £50 million to purchase our great club, fans talking of protests after 4 weeks is premature, though it is a view that I respect.

1. Is that what Venky's are saying now then? Do we really trust them after their flip flopping on almost everything? This has included desired league position (10th-12th when they first came here, top five when they found it convenient to get rid of Sam), and Diego Maradona (Mrs Desai tells us they were interested in him one day, and the next that they never considered him) and also on Steve Keans' window of opportunity (anything from a few games to the whole season, though that seems to have been decided).

And more to the point, is it really THAT important?

We've held our own over the last few seasons with a minimal transfer budget but some very good managers, sensible rational running of the club and a cracking team spirit.

Conversely, we got relegated in 98/99 despite Jacks' money being spunked (on some terrible players), with a squad which still shouldn't have gone down but which had an inexperienced manager at the helm who'd never managed before and generally a sense of impending doom that season which surrounded the club and impacted on team spirit.

Sound familiar?

2. Ah, yes, they will be committed to get the VERY best. Like when they were last involved in a clubs transfers, where Bojinov and Bianchi were bought for a combined £14 million and which saw Jerome Anderson walk off with £5 million after that one season. Granted, they bought a couple of good players in Corluka and Petrov but for £16 million combined for those two you'd bloody well hope so.

3. Sam had us with a formidable home record, bettered by practically no one outside the big teams over the last 18 months. You ask most home fans whether they'd see their side play pretty football or whether they'd see their side win. Unless Steve Kean can get this team playing nice football and winning as many home games as Sam, neither of which look likely based on his inexperience and the performance against the clubs' bottom team, it looks fairly unlikely.

I'm sure if you did a poll of the clubs season ticket holders as to whether they agreed with Sam's sacking, itd look roughly like the 80-20 NO split seen in the LET last week. Maybe slightly fewer saying no but not that many.

4. Title winning assistants Ray Harford and Brian Kidd were far, far more respected by players and their peers than a man who has so far forged a career following Chris Coleman's managerial path. They still couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag. Our owners are cretins when it comes to running a football club. There's (I'm guessing) thousands if not more coaches in this country with the relevant FA badges. Means nothing.

5. Which person would turn it down? Well, Martin Jol already has. Martin O Neill I'm pretty sure would. Rafa ditto. Again, can you name a decent manager we could realistically attract? The best name I can think of is someone promising from the lower leagues like Gus Poyet.

6. Ashley still threw far more millions at the club in buying it - £135 million. He also foolishly didn't realise how much debt the club was in and so had to put in another £100 million to help sustain it. Can you see Venky's ploughing in that much? Yet he's still a terrible owner.

Fans want to protest and get their message across because maybe now something can be done.

If it gets to March and we're 4 points adrift with a clueless manager in charge and some naff signings (which is arguably a more likely possibility than us being around 10th-12th like we wouldve been under Sam), then it'll be far, far too late.

1. Is that what Venky's are saying now then? Do we really trust them after their flip flopping on almost everything? This has included desired league position (10th-12th when they first came here, top five when they found it convenient to get rid of Sam), and Diego Maradona (Mrs Desai tells us they were interested in him one day, and the next that they never considered him) and also on Steve Keans' window of opportunity (anything from a few games to the whole season, though that seems to have been decided).

And more to the point, is it really THAT important?

We've held our own over the last few seasons with a minimal transfer budget but some very good managers, sensible rational running of the club and a cracking team spirit.

Conversely, we got relegated in 98/99 despite Jacks' money being spunked (on some terrible players), with a squad which still shouldn't have gone down but which had an inexperienced manager at the helm who'd never managed before and generally a sense of impending doom that season which surrounded the club and impacted on team spirit.

Sound familiar?

2. Ah, yes, they will be committed to get the VERY best. Like when they were last involved in a clubs transfers, where Bojinov and Bianchi were bought for a combined £14 million and which saw Jerome Anderson walk off with £5 million after that one season. Granted, they bought a couple of good players in Corluka and Petrov but for £16 million combined for those two you'd bloody well hope so.

3. Sam had us with a formidable home record, bettered by practically no one outside the big teams over the last 18 months. You ask most home fans whether they'd see their side play pretty football or whether they'd see their side win. Unless Steve Kean can get this team playing nice football and winning as many home games as Sam, neither of which look likely based on his inexperience and the performance against the clubs' bottom team, it looks fairly unlikely.

I'm sure if you did a poll of the clubs season ticket holders as to whether they agreed with Sam's sacking, itd look roughly like the 80-20 NO split seen in the LET last week. Maybe slightly fewer saying no but not that many.

4. Title winning assistants Ray Harford and Brian Kidd were far, far more respected by players and their peers than a man who has so far forged a career following Chris Coleman's managerial path. They still couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag. Our owners are cretins when it comes to running a football club. There's (I'm guessing) thousands if not more coaches in this country with the relevant FA badges. Means nothing.

5. Which person would turn it down? Well, Martin Jol already has. Martin O Neill I'm pretty sure would. Rafa ditto. Again, can you name a decent manager we could realistically attract? The best name I can think of is someone promising from the lower leagues like Gus Poyet.

6. Ashley still threw far more millions at the club in buying it - £135 million. He also foolishly didn't realise how much debt the club was in and so had to put in another £100 million to help sustain it. Can you see Venky's ploughing in that much? Yet he's still a terrible owner.

Fans want to protest and get their message across because maybe now something can be done.

If it gets to March and we're 4 points adrift with a clueless manager in charge and some naff signings (which is arguably a more likely possibility than us being around 10th-12th like we wouldve been under Sam), then it'll be far, far too late.

1. Desai said that she expected between 8th and 12th this season (not 10th-12th), the document sent to shareholders states that funds will be made available on a consistent basis- they also said in an original interview that this would be the case. Anything can happen but I wouldf expect us to finish between 10th-12th this year.

2. Petrov and Corluka cost under £11 million not £16 million, Anderson also provided Elano, Garrido and Gelson Fernandes, all bar two players are currently playing at the highest level in Italy or England. So he has shown that he can provide top quality players.

3. I think I was infering more about the away record not the home one, when fans are spending hundreds of pounds on away games and watching the trying for a draw/ getting mauled 4 goals/ 7 goals etc, there is an issue, which obviously was enough to get Sam sacked.

4. Thousands of coaches do not possess the Pro License which I believe Kean has. You call our owners cretins... after 4 weeks. Based on what exactly? Firing Sam? Mixed messages in the media? Think about it.

5. Did not realise Jol had been offered the job. IF the job was advertised today we would get hundreds of applicants for the job. I will say it again most managers want to manage in the PL and there only a handful of jobs out there, Mancini was turned down for the Rovers after winning the Serie A title 3 years on the bounce.

6. Newcastle.. are Newcastle, the fans are ungrateful for what Ashley has done there. Our owners have been at the helm for a few weeks, surely wait and see is the best policy?

Protesting is fine but I see little reason to at the moment, I would say 1st February would be the ideal time to assess the situation both on and off the pitch, would you not agree?

I'm off to throw myself under a train after reading that article.

Only 7 players turned up to the Christmas party?! At least Venky's acting like complete mugs has cut some needless expenses already I suppose.

What I don't understand is what if we go on a shocking run? Quite conceivable given the state of the club right now. Venky's better be praying Kean gets off to a flyer..

Archived