BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Darwen End Singing Section

I don't know why you think that is selfish, it's a fact of life, the meaning of selfish is 'caring only for oneself' so saying I'm selfish because I said life's not fair makes no sense at all.

We have every right to sit in the middle because it's unreserved seating, making a fuss about us sitting there just because your father-in-law sits there could be seen as not fair to us too, it works both ways.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rule 1: Life is not fair; (tell your father-in-law) - get used to it!

once again, for the second time in this thread i will use the line "this sum's up the attitude of the Darwen end - sod the rest of us fan's"

i am actually amazed at how disgusting this comment is. I am ashamed this is the attitude a rovers supporter can show to a fellow Elderly rovers supporter.

horrid

We have every right to sit in the middle because it's unreserved seating, making a fuss about us sitting there just because your father-in-law sits there could be seen as not fair to us too, it works both ways.

I was using an example. Another person has given an example of not being able to stand. So that's at least two.

Life may not be fair, but you're making it unfair for other supporters when it doesn't need to be. That is selfish.

We're hoping to get there earlier so we can claim the seats and the people that usually sit there will realise we've moved from the corner and may choose to sit in the next block or on the other side of the gate if it's open. I don't think we're being selfish we just want the best seats in the stand as it worked against QPR and we hope to get the whole stand singing/clapping. We just want people to know that what we're doing is for the best for the club and making the matchday atmosphere better. If the seating is unreserved it's fair and it's square if we want to move to the middle, we have a good reason for this too.

And I didn't know your father in law is elderly (that's assuming he is)

It's frustrating because my father-in-law sits in the middle and he won't be able to stand for 90 minutes. Yet, if loads of people stand there he won't be able to see the game. He's paid his money like the rest of us and it wouldn't be fair.

I've no problem with standing and singing (which is good) but it shouldn't be at the expense of others. You're doing a fine job where you are and it works.

That's what I was trying to get across.

I understand your/his concerns, however a reserved area is surely much better for somebody in that situation in order to guarantee a seat that he would be happy with.

I believe the full end is open to home fans so there will be bags of room for everybody for this game I would have thought.

Anyway, don't worry i'll refrain from posting on here in future, all I seem to do is cause controversy when the aim is to try and improve things.

One of the reasons (as I said) for trying this out for a league game was partly due to the feedback we received on here and other messageboards regarding how better the noise came across at the QPR game.

Rule 1: Life is not fair; (tell your father-in-law) - get used to it!

What a pathetic outlook on life you must have. Someone who is unable to stand and all you can do is sneer at that them. If that is the typical attitude of the folk in the Darwen End, I think the club would be better off without them.

Medical condition? Where does it say that? My Dad probably wouldn't be able to stand for 90 minutes but that doesn't mean he has a medical condition. You're just twisting it now.

EDIT: I see you've edited your post :rolleyes:

Read her later post, don't think she realised the circumstances.

Who said that was the attitude of the 'Darwen End'? I've heard things I don't agree with in other stands but wouldn't say that everybody was of the same opinion :wacko:

It's unreserved, we are not doing anything wrong. Everybody who has a Darwen End ticket surely knows the score?

Guys, I appreciate the point you're trying to make, but lets keep it away from being personal. It was probably an ill-conceived throwaway comment at worst.

Anyway, it's nothing to do with football, let alone the Darwen End singing section, so lets head back on topic now please. If you want to discus the alleged selfishness of today's society, then ICBINF is the place for it.

I don't know why you think that is selfish, it's a fact of life, the meaning of selfish is 'caring only for oneself' so saying I'm selfish because I said life's not fair makes no sense at all.

This is the key flaw in your argument, your lot dont sit, they all stand.

Lets create a senario, you get to the game and Ohmis father in law is sat in his normal area, where you want to stand, add to that theres a few other olderly people sat in the same area. what will you do? tell them to go away and find a new seat bacause you want to stand there? or do you and the rest of the 'Brigade' just take up the remainder of the seats in that area and just stand like you had planned in the first place, not giving two hoots the a few fans sat around you are unable to see anything of the game?

Moving to the middle could be a good move, however you will be causing problems for other supporters. No one that sits in that stand has the right to claim a seat for their friends or force people to move because they want to sit there. maybe you should concider what other fans want as well as what you want.

Life is unfair but you should still treat those around you with the same respect you wish to be treated.

And I'm generally sorry to hear that. I'm sure Parson just made it up to twist things, then realised and edited his post.

I misread OhmiBRFC's post and edited accordingly. However, my point about your attitude to suppporters who are unable to stand remains unaltered. There are many supporters who due to age (young children as well as the elderly) or illness who are unable to stand for 90 minutes. It's your attitude towards those who are unable to stand that I find appalling - no need to twist anything. If you think it's OK to stand in front of the elderly or young kids and so ruin their view of the game, then sorry, I think your outlook on life is poor.

Hopefully, with both parts of the Darwen End open, I would hope that everybody is able to watch the game how they want. Those who wish to stand and sing should find the room to do so and those who wish to sit and watch the football should find a spot where their view is undisturbed.

• Backroom

I think the people who want to sit and watch the game have priority seeing as it's still illegal to stand throughout the game.

As long as you aren't stood in front of people who want to sit it's not a problem.

Lets hope for a good atmosphere come Sunday.

This is the key flaw in your argument, your lot dont sit, they all stand.

Lets create a senario, you get to the game and Ohmis father in law is sat in his normal area, where you want to stand, add to that theres a few other olderly people sat in the same area. what will you do? tell them to go away and find a new seat bacause you want to stand there? or do you and the rest of the 'Brigade' just take up the remainder of the seats in that area and just stand like you had planned in the first place, not giving two hoots the a few fans sat around you are unable to see anything of the game?

Moving to the middle could be a good move, however you will be causing problems for other supporters. No one that sits in that stand has the right to claim a seat for their friends or force people to move because they want to sit there. maybe you should concider what other fans want as well as what you want.

Life is unfair but you should still treat those around you with the same respect you wish to be treated.

That's why we'll be there earlier and hopefully before anyone has sat in those seats. Against QPR the stewards were very reasonable and explained to a couple of people that had brought a group of children that we stand all game and sing etc and they were very happy to move and the children didn't like being next to the away fans anyway. We don't think this will be a problem to other supporters, I have had to move into the next block because seats in the corner were taken, it's only a small block in the middle and the others that usually sit there can sit in the next block which will still be in middle.

The best way to solve this problem is for the singing section to pick an area and stay there, and in the early days they get to their seats early. Over time, people in the Darwen End will get used to it and people who it presents a problem to will tend to avoid this area.

There is an easy solution to this (advertise an area within the DE as a singing section with different coloured seats or something), but the difficulty arises from the fact that it's not the singing that is the problem, it's the standing. As you aren't allowed to stand for long periods in an all seater stadium, the club couldn't endorse or advertise such an area where standing may cause a problem.

It's probably worth remembering that everyone is there to support Rovers so humility towards other fans shouldn't be difficult.

you could all try singing sitting down?!

They did advertise a section as the singing corner - where they've been all season.

and over time people did get used to this as suggested, however then they 'move the goalposts' and expect everyone to just accept it because "life's unfair".

then they wonder why they get peoples backs up

I think most people who wish to stand & sing generally migrate towards the back of a stand (if there`s room) anyway.

We (3 of us) tend not to stand in the far left corner, more the next block in. TBH most people along the entire back couple of rows of the DE tend to stand anyway. They`re not in anybodys way. We`ll probably move over towards the middle a bit if there`s room. If not, we`ll try our usual area.

Alot of the 'anti' posters on this thread come across as a bit bitter for some reason....& most of them don`t even frequent the DE. They just don`t want it to take off for some reason.

I do agree all this 'let`s arrange stuff with the club' & 'let`s impose an anthem' on everybody is not my cup of tea. I much prefer to be my own person & be an 'independent' free of the clubs will.....but that`s just me.

For what it's worth me and my 10 year old son sit in the Darwen End, he loves the Blue Brigade and the atmosphere that goes with it and loves to sit "near" them. I spent the best days of my life in the old terracing on the Blackburn End and everyone knew if you wanted singing and the party atmosphere you stood at the back. I'm not condoning any bad feeling towards any Rovers fan after all we're all on the same side right? What l will say is the Darwen End is for Rovers fans not just the "Brigade" but l for one would not have moved there from the BBE if it wasn't for the increased atmosphere and trying to recreate what it was like for me back in the 80's for my son (less the pitched battles obviously) :P

So come one, these boys are part of the "taking back Ewood" campaign and the kids obviously love it. The Darwen End is very rarely full and there's plenty of seats to go round, if you go in and your "normal" seat is taken find somewhere else, if you want to sit in the same seat each week you're in the wrong stand.

To the Blue Brigade - you're making my son happy cos he loves the atmosphere (although l'll wait a few years before l hand him the lyrics ;) ) if he's happy and the Rovers are winning then everything is good in the world. Keep up the good work.

PS. - He's taking his flag tommorow :rover:

For what it's worth me and my 10 year old son sit in the Darwen End, he loves the Blue Brigade and the atmosphere that goes with it and loves to sit "near" them. I spent the best days of my life in the old terracing on the Blackburn End and everyone knew if you wanted singing and the party atmosphere you stood at the back. I'm not condoning any bad feeling towards any Rovers fan after all we're all on the same side right? What l will say is the Darwen End is for Rovers fans not just the "Brigade" but l for one would not have moved there from the BBE if it wasn't for the increased atmosphere and trying to recreate what it was like for me back in the 80's for my son (less the pitched battles obviously) :P

So come one, these boys are part of the "taking back Ewood" campaign and the kids obviously love it. The Darwen End is very rarely full and there's plenty of seats to go round, if you go in and your "normal" seat is taken find somewhere else, if you want to sit in the same seat each week you're in the wrong stand.

To the Blue Brigade - you're making my son happy cos he loves the atmosphere (although l'll wait a few years before l hand him the lyrics ;) ) if he's happy and the Rovers are winning then everything is good in the world. Keep up the good work.

PS. - He's taking his flag tommorow :rover:

Reading that after the day i've had has made my night!

Hope he (and you!) enjoys it tomorrow, i've got my flag sorted today too.

When we moved to the middle VRS QPR many commented how much better the noise was, which is why we're trying it out for a league game :)

Archived