BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] diouf

Miker

I can't see a thread for him anymore, but I think he deserves to be discussed at the moment as he's been putting in some excellent performances so far this season, and more pleasingly, he has shown signs of maturity in both his play and his attitude in games. His past is his past, but credit where credit is due now, he has become an integral part of the team.

I hope he can stay out of trouble now and continues to impress this season, as he has talent, but it's now time for him to consistently show it on the pitch rather than just talk about it and hide it behind his "bad boy" antics.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was certainly one of our better performers yesterday and created several good openings.

That aside I wanted to mention something about a player who has had a lot of bad press. During the second half a young fan came down to the fencing and waved EHD's national flag at the player who responded by tugging at his shirt. At full time, it was dificult to see for sure, EHD took off his shirt, made his was across to the young lad and gave it to him. Thought that was a nice touch and not the sort of behaviour often assocciated with him.

He was certainly one of our better performers yesterday and created several good openings.

That aside I wanted to mention something about a player who has had a lot of bad press. During the second half a young fan came down to the fencing and waved EHD's national flag at the player who responded by tugging at his shirt. At full time, it was dificult to see for sure, EHD took off his shirt, made his was across to the young lad and gave it to him. Thought that was a nice touch and not the sort of behaviour often assocciated with him.

He's most defo calmed down a bit since at rovers, infact hes a different player.

On MOTD it sounded like pool fans where booin him, really, get over it

There was one point in second half, the Pool fans behind their goal were giving Diouf some grief and he was doing his wind-up routine. The ref had a word with him, told him to cut it out and indicating he was watching him.

However, he wasn't watching him very closely as about 7 seconds later, Diouf turned round and kissed the Rovers badge to the same fans!

Still not a par with Savage for pantomime villain stakes, but he's learning.

I can't see a thread for him anymore, but I think he deserves to be discussed at the moment as he's been putting in some excellent performances so far this season, and more pleasingly, he has shown signs of maturity in both his play and his attitude in games. His past is his past, but credit where credit is due now, he has become an integral part of the team.

I hope he can stay out of trouble now and continues to impress this season, as he has talent, but it's now time for him to consistently show it on the pitch rather than just talk about it and hide it behind his "bad boy" antics.

One here. Some rather embarassing comments at the start of it too. http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/20579-spit-the-diouf/

My wife and I speculated that his improvement-indeed vast improvement- coincided with the arrival of the younger Diouf, who has hailed him as one of his heroes.

It just made us think it could have provided extra motivation for him.

An excellent point. I also consider the possibility that Allardyce has given him slightly different tactical instructions. Possibily playing a more attack minded role this season.

Yup, he's definitely improved on last season, where he was too busy playing the panto villain. This year he's playing with renewed purpose and making the most of his talent. I also agree that having Mame Diouf looking up to him has probably endowed him with some responsibility - similar to how Samba improved with Jones under his wing.

Despite the scores of adverse comments when he signed and even before he did that picture of Diouff celebrating will be sure to set him as a fans favourite. Funny how all the players that attract widespread loathing when they first sign end up as fans favourites. It happened with Speedie, Dickov, Savage and now Diouff and they all turned out to be great servants of the club.

We should have had Joey Barton when Newcastle were relegated if he wasn't on such a stupid wage. He'd probably be enjoying the freedom of the town by now.

I think he looks a lot fitter than I've seen him for a long time...he did look a little lethargic and heavy last season, but on saturday he really looked lean and mean... :brfc:

I think that has made the biggest difference, he definitely looks a lot sharper.

With him in this form it's like signing a new player, I think most of us had written him off after last year's poor showing.

To the contrary Paul, I've heard many similar stories about EHD in his time at the club.

All that really bothers me is how he acts on the pitch, he reached an all time low in my eyes with his sending off at Villa last year, he's been on a steady rise since then.

Talking to a Blackpool supporting pal, he raved about Diouf's performance.

He said he seemed impossible to get the ball over and was constantly finding space- always a sign of a quality player.

He seems to have finally untethered the caravan he was towing last season and we are seeing the benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Diouf is slow, but makes up for this by having fantastic skill. He's easily the best technical player we have, looks comfortable on the ball and rarely loses it. Stands out as a proper footballer in our team, as opposed to a hard-working grafter. We could do with a few more like him really (minus the suspect temperment).

• 4 weeks later...

What are peoples thoughts about diouf playing CM don't think hed be suited in a 2 man cm pairing but do think hed suit out current formation

He's not played there much but I think he could, I'd need to see him there to form a definite opinion but he has plenty of skill and guile and we'd get free kicks in dangerous places by the score. I'm sure our centre forwards would appreciate him there but any defensive work would need to be covered by the other midfielders. Might mean MGP/Emo/Olsonn and Hoillett sharing the wide duties 9depending on the strength of the opposition) with a midfield pair of any 2 ball winners from N'Zonzi, Jones and Grella. It'd be an interesting option, and one that would allow Dunny and him to share creative duties in that position.

Ooops! I've just remembered I've forgotten Keith! Oh well never mind. ^_^

Archived