BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v West Brom

cruz

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair result 4-1. Never felt this positive about the xlubbir team since Souey. Sloppy at times but the positives left me wanting about more.

Robinson -8- class, one world class save

Selgado -5- at times his best performance positionally and in possession.. However Thomas pace showed why he should not be resigned. Taken to the cleaners once or twice.

Samba -8- immense

Givet -5- struggled to dominate and his lack of pace is showing esp when he went left back.

Ollson -7- back and forth, pace, fitness, goal threat, occasional defensive lapse

Hoilet -6- a real threat, much improved. Reduced the bumber of times he makes the wrong choice but still does it. Vastly improved since BFS left. Looking a good prospect. Would have been an 8 if focusing on his best bits.

Jones -7- immense for first game. Why diner accept poor players like Grella? Very Athletic, great tackler, leader, lionhearted performance on and off the ball marred by some OTT tackles like pen and two footed in front of riverside.

Dunn -6- Like Hoilet at his best he was an 8. Lacked fitness, failed to cover the ground. In possession magnificent, best player with vision and class. For 15 minutes in 2nd half ran the game.

Pederson -4- Rovers best player this season put in the effort but it all seemed to go awry. Sloppy passing start to finish. Did not shirk the effort tho.

Cruz -8- Class. Two footed class. Won most headers, held ball up, made time, made space. Makes Roberts look like a joke.

Kalinic -6- worked hard with Cruz. Played well but the ball didn't bounce for him kindly. I nearly gave Kalknic a 7. He played well.

Subs

Roberts -2- donkey

Nzonzi -5- out of touch, off the pace but ok for comeback

Hanley -6- couple of mammoth tackles. Great future. Needs games.

Couldn't find a pass, wasted set pieces and his ball retention was woeful.

Pedersen completed 55 out of 85 passes. Those stats are warped a little by the inclusion of corners/long throws because they usually go to the opposition (not just his, those types of set pieces in general).

He did misplace some fairly simple passes but I think some people are being very harsh.

Fair result 4-1. Never felt this positive about the club or the team since Souey. Sloppy at times but the positives left me wanting alot more.

Robinson -8- class, one world class save

Selgado -5- at times his best performance positionally and in possession.. However Thomas pace showed why he should not be resigned. Taken to the cleaners once or twice.

Samba -8- immense

Givet -5- struggled to dominate and his lack of pace is showing esp when he went left back.

Ollson -7- back and forth, pace, fitness, goal threat, occasional defensive lapse

Hoilet -6- a real threat, much improved. Reduced the bumber of times he makes the wrong choice but still does it. Vastly improved since BFS left. Looking a good prospect. Would have been an 8 if focusing on his best bits.

Jones -7- immense for first game. Why diner accept poor players like Grella? Very Athletic, great tackler, leader, lionhearted performance on and off the ball marred by some OTT tackles like pen and two footed in front of riverside.

Dunn -6- Like Hoilet at his best he was an 8. Lacked fitness, failed to cover the ground. In possession magnificent, best player with vision and class. For 15 minutes in 2nd half ran the game.

Pederson -4- Rovers best player this season put in the effort but it all seemed to go awry. Sloppy passing start to finish. Did not shirk the effort tho.

Cruz -8- Class. Two footed class. Won most headers, held ball up, made time, made space. Makes Roberts look like a joke.

Kalinic -6- worked hard with Cruz. Played well but the ball didn't bounce for him kindly. I nearly gave Kalknic a 7. He played well.

Subs

Roberts -2- donkey

Nzonzi -5- out of touch, off the pace but ok for comeback

Hanley -6- couple of mammoth tackles. Great future. Needs games.

i thought jones was average. Nothing more and nothing less. He had some postional problems in the opening, made two very stupid challenges, giving away 2 free kicks just outside the area, one which was a clear penalty. He also seems a bit slow and a bit of the pace.

On the other hand, he made himself available all the time, he wanted the ball and seemed well capable of passing it about. He also runs forever and is a strong player, not one you push around and won his fair share of headers.

i have a hunch, that once he has settled down and adapted just a bit more to the english game, he is going to do really well. He seems to have the game and potential to do very good. Once his matchfitness is better, he will show much more, as his timing in the challenges will be improved and a more crisp destroyer-type of player will emerge. One who also has the ability to play football.

its easy to see, that he is a much better player, then the rest we have for that position. So all in all, im looking forward to his contribution, s he is an improvement to the team.

Ey???? This season isn't 2005-2006. He's had a brief purple patch where he was key for us, and been average or poor the rest of the time. Today was really terrible though, agreed.

Good result, we got lucky but just about deserved the win on the balance of the play.

Jones was okay, did a decent job and didn't do much wrong so a successful debut in my book. Didn't get the decision to give him the MOM but the Peter Jackson MOMs are often bizzare selections.

Robbo, Samba and Hoillett all gave great performances. RSC showed some nice touches.

That win should really see us safe; we've got a nice cushion between us and the drop zone and 9 points from the relegation zone. We really should be looking up now instead of down. There's a few fixtures coming up: Wigan away, Newcastle home, Villa away, Fulham away that could easily go one way or another.

If we do well in them then we could be hunting down a European place, Sunderland are the only realistic side who are above us and they've just lost Darren Bent so those six points could be made up.

Pedersen completed 55 out of 85 passes. Those stats are warped a little by the inclusion of corners/long throws because they usually go to the opposition (not just his, those types of set pieces in general).

He did misplace some fairly simple passes but I think some people are being very harsh.

It's maybe that the passes he did give away directly lead to a few West Brom chances. Perhaps I should have said his passing was sloppy. I think a lot was to do with the fact that he's played in central midfield (or left of centre) for the majority of the season - and played very well - but he was supposed to be playing left wing today and showed no positional discipline by consistently coming infield chasing the ball. Harsh or not, I stand by the fact that is was a dreadful performance from him.

did people watch the same game as me ??

jones is exactly what we have been missing in the middle of the park - we looked very solid ...he gets stuck in , played it simple and i personally thought it was a great debut

I thought i`d popped into the wrong chatroom at first, Jones is a player we have been crying out for for years, does the important things in the match, he plays the unsung hero type roll, batty style, Looking forward to watching more of him in a Blue and White shirt,

Roll on the Spurs and Wigan matches, gonna be 2 cracking games

Anyone fancy doing a match report for the news section (another old feature I want to bring back), in future I'll try and arrange one before hand (like we do with the previews), but for now, I'll take whoever can put one together quickly.

Robinson - excellent! Made some very valuable stops that kept us in the game!

Samba - immense in the tackle and some excellent cross field passes.

Givet - his best performances are when playing alongside Samba! Won pretty much everything!

Salgado - lack of pace was highlighted against the lively Thomas. However, some excellent tackles.

Olsson - excellent game, some poor crosses but put in a real shift!

Jones - good first game but jumps into the challenge a bit early! Believe certain people have mixed some of the things olsson did and credited jones with it! Good signing!

Pedersen - poor for his standards but made some important challenges and played a few very decent balls!

Dunn - much better game! Still not fully fit!

Hoilett - awesome, the first player for a while who gets you to the edge of your seat! Needs to learn how to shoot and cross when running at full pace! Great potential!

RSC - class player! Will feel it tomorrow morning! He played like he wanted it!

Kalinic - very poor! Sorry to say but this lad just is not good enough!!

I thought that most of the team played well.

Good work rate

good passing

good going forward

howevr why was peds playing in the middle of the park, he might be many things but a midfield player who plays in the middle he is not. only one who I thought had a bad game, however it does not help if he is picked to play in the wrong role.

JOnes played well and bear in mind he is not match fit yet i expect a lot more from him.

forwards played better with two up front. All in all seventh place a good place to be.

West Brom must hate playing us. Historically we have always done well against them and this season we have had 2 lucky wins over them. Robinson was undoubtedly man of the match today for a string of outstanding saves that kept us in the match. Hoilett looks a potential star in the making and enjoyed Santa Cruz's touches with his back to goal. Unlucky not to score too.

West Brom must hate playing us. Historically we have always done well against them and this season we have had 2 lucky wins over them. Robinson was undoubtedly man of the match today for a string of outstanding saves that kept us in the match. Hoilett looks a potential star in the making and enjoyed Santa Cruz's touches with his back to goal. Unlucky not to score too.

This wasn't a lucky win. On the balance of play we deserved it, we just did our best to make it difficult.

• Backroom

How was that down to luck?

How about the Samba shot inches wide? the brilliant save from Myhill off Santa Cruz? the one off Olsson in the first half? The one from Olsson in the second half? The glorious chance RSC hit over? The tap in Roberts and Pedersen both fluffed?

Not to mention the brilliant goal Hoilett did score.

Still don't let facts get in the way of an agenda against the manager.

RSC was immense and his touch is so good, cant wait for him and Jones to get match fit as they will improve our team immensely.

We are evolving as a team and I feel the more we play the 'pass and move' way the better we will become at it, the difference between us and Blackpool, Wigan and West Brom is that I feel that we have a stronger spine defensively in Ryan, Givet, Samba and Robbo.

We must be suffering from scoliosis.

Jermaine Jones offered something we havent had since Savage left.

He will turn out to be a great signing. Personally since it was his first game in a while and has only had a few days to adapt to another country, team and style I was impressed.

We did play a diamond formation in midfield so he was often supporting our strikers. I think everyone agrees he's not fit enough to play a full 90 mins, but some players should spend most of their energy going forward - Dunn is one of them.

Now we have Jones I'm hoping we'll start to see more of the real Dunn, having faith in the man behind you can make a world of difference.

Keep it up Dunny.

People always focus on his mistakes and never the other parts, he's a key player for us not just for set-pieces but his flexibility and industry.

He could prove a even more important player if we persist with the diamond, as he can play inside and out wide.

Curiously Le chuck were did you get his stat's from so quickly?

howevr why was peds playing in the middle of the park, he might be many things but a midfield player who plays in the middle he is not. only one who I thought had a bad game, however it does not help if he is picked to play in the wrong role.

....he was picked at left midfield, not the middle. He roamed inside too often on his own account. Besides, he's been playing centre mid for a while now, have you not noticed?

How was that down to luck?

How about the Samba shot inches wide? the brilliant save from Myhill of Santa Cruz? the one off Olsson in the first half? The one from Olsson in the second half? The glorious chance RSC hit over? The tap in Roberts and Pedersen both fluffed?

Not to mention the brilliant goal Hoilett did score.

Still don't let facts get in the way of an agenda against the manager.

So true, if that was Allardyce as manager he would have been saying what a great win it was and how resolute we looked, instead it's lucky.

On cloud 9 if I'm being honest, that result at The Hawthorns seemed to turn everything our way :brfcsmilie:

Archived