BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 6

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not heard anything extra since being told on Friday night that Samba will definitely be with Arsenal by the end of the window, irrespective of the talk of new contracts.

My main concern is have the search party found him he seemed to be missing on every cross that came into the Rovers goal area yesterday!!!!

There's not much point in late-night updates, so...

ROCHINA...word from Spain is that this is done and will be announced tomorrow...compromise fee agreed...no point in kid staying at Barca when he is leaving.

LARSSON...now expected for the summer...didn't want to go to Newcastle who have decided to spend the spare dough on Ireland now...he will go there on loan for about £45,000-a-week.

FORMICA...passport, passport, passport...would be interesting if he didn't have his new one tomorrow...but that seems to be under control.

On a side-note, Gai Assulin is in Man City squad at Notts County today for the first time. May get a glimpse of him - at last.

Tomorrow will be an interesting transfer deadline day for once!

Do you have a feeling we'll be seeing any of our squad leaving tomorrow? i.e. players not in the managers plans or out of contract players?

Just found this - Wenger's interview on friday

"No I don’t rule [a new signing] out. If we can get a defender on loan until the end of the season, it is an ideal solution for us. It would not get us into a position where we have to pay five defenders for four years and it would cover the season.

If we find that opportunity we will do it. We believe in the quality of the defenders we have, but we are a bit short in numbers. We’ve looked and we’ve not found any reasonable solutions. We’re in a situation where we’re happy with the performances of Squillaci, Djourou, Koscielny and we believe in the quality of Vermaelen.

If we buy another one, first, we have to buy him for four years and then we have to pay him for four years. We will have five centre backs. People say always: ‘you must buy, buy, buy.’ But you must pay them as well. You want to sign a player for four years, all the others are on long contracts and then suddenly you have five and then Song is six."

Good news for us??

I would go for Chris Gunter of forest. good right back and also play at left back aswell

Not a bad shout either... I just can't see Salgado lasting 40-odd games next season. At least a youngster would get some cup games, cover suspensions/injuries and perhaps he'd be given a chance against someone like Spurs - because Bale slaughters Salgado for pace everytime. Cover for left back is also a must too next season...

sure samba would walk straight into Arsenal's team... that squillaci is awful and Djourou isn't brilliant.

Samba is a decent defender for a midtable team. He is not a defender for a team in the top 4. Arsenal's CB's are poor however that doesnt mean that Samba would fare any better. There are cheaper and younger options elsewhere if Arsenal are in the market.

Formica and Rochina arrive tomorrow and this window has been a success in my opinion. Decent players in the positions we needed strengthening. January is tough but we seemed to have done much better than other teams around us.

All the talk of buying a new, young RB - what about Jackson Ramm?

Sounds extremely promising and must be picking things up from working with Salgado.

May be his breakthrough year this/next year?

sure samba would walk straight into Arsenals team... that squillaci is awful and Djourou isn't brilliant.

Samba isn't good enough for Arsenal.

He looks good in a team like ours because we have a fair bit of 'backs to the wall' defending to do, which he is brilliant at. Arsenal rarely have to do that though, they need defenders who can keep concentration for 90 minutes and start attacks from the back. Samba isn't good at either of those, he's prone to daft mistakes and his passing isn't the best.

Nicko - Any more info on the Rochina deal than what you posted earlier, Have they asked for buy back clause to be inserted?

His out of contract at the end of the season it would be daft to have any clause inserted in favour of Barca.

Archived