King

Woodgate(fit)

Carragher

Agger

Cahill

Terry

Evans

Hangelaand

Those are the few off the top of my head that are better than Samba.

Interesting list. King and Woodgate are never fit, Carragher is past it and of the rest (apart from Terry Vidic and Ferdinand)only Hangelaand is at Samba's sort of level imo.

Strange how football throws up such wildly differing opinions.

Interesting list. King and Woodgate are never fit, Carragher is past it and of the rest (apart from Terry Vidic and Ferdinand)only Hangelaand is at Samba's sort of level imo.

Thats the beauty of football that fans agree to disagree.

Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, King, Vermaelen, Kompany, Lescott, Haangeland, Gallas, Cahill...

All off the top of my head.

King's never fit. Lescott, Gallas, Cahill? Now you're joking surely.

Kompany's a midfielder isn't he?

Indeed. :)

King's never fit. Lescott, Gallas, Cahill? Now you're joking surely.

Kompany's a midfielder isn't he?

Cahill is a better player than Samba, undoubtedly.

Lescott may have had a rough time at City but I'd have him over Samba any day. Gallas is better, just too old for me to want to swap the two. No, Kompany is a centre back.

I disagree with the original post, I feel that Samba would be a world beater in some of those sides. He will be a hero at any team.

That's for sure. He gets stuck in and can score a goal. A great player in any free kick or corner. He does make errors but so do all footballers.

At his best he is a top defender but he's never been terribly consistent. He makes too many mistakes and isnt composed enough in possession. The latter point isnt a big issue at a club like Rovers (ie not in Europe or challenging for titles etc) but thats enough to say that he isnt top 4 quality. As has been pointed out, there are at around a dozen better CB's in the league. He's a good player, no arguments there, but he's not a great player.

Nicko, do you know if there are plans to add to the coaching staff?

Also is Iain Brunskill now the full time first team coach?

I'm surely that Steve Kean has said that Iain Brunskill has move up to first team coach and Gary Bowyer move up to reserve team manager from Head of Youth coaching. I don't know whether this is to the end of season when they will look to bring in a first team coach, or a Permanent move. And Terry McPhillips is now in charge of the youth team and under 18's according to this rovers youth team report from the offical website:- http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/AcademyNews/0,,10303~2267374,00.html

Good news. So we can expect two signings tomorrow with Rochina and Formica if passport is sorted!

This confuses me. Surely a professional footballer, or his agent, would ensure that the passport issue was sorted the second there was a whiff of European interest? A passport issue seems like poor planning on their part.

Suspect Samba's negotiations are done and both sides are happy with the terms, but he won't sign until the window's shut just in case something turns up tomorrow. Just a hunch though.

I think this post hits the nail on the head. A deal is agreed upon, conditioned upon whether a top club goes for Samba. Unlike Holloway, Kean is keeping his lip zipped. Which I think is a positive indication as to Kean's professionalism.

Not a bad shout either... I just can't see Salgado lasting 40-odd games next season. At least a youngster would get some cup games, cover suspensions/injuries and perhaps he'd be given a chance against someone like Spurs - because Bale slaughters Salgado for pace everytime. Cover for left back is also a must too next season...

I really worry that the owners/manager aren't addressing the RB and LB issue. With our budget restrictions (or at least desire to see value for money), we need a youngish player with a moderate amount of experience for each position so that they'll be ready for prime time next year.

I don't see why Barca would want to link up with Rovers. They can offer us great players and we can offer them.......err.............?

You don't get the fact that Barca would want to have their B players, whom they think might become A players but are currently frozen out of the squad due to better being available, get some experience in the EPL? This flow chart should show the progression which a top Barca player might have available to him over time: Barca Academy --> Barca B --> Rovers --> Barca A. It makes sense to me and benefits Barca and the Rovers. I really hope this is the game plan as all parties benefit.

I really worry that the owners/manager aren't addressing the RB and LB issue.

Other areas of the team need more urgent attention than the full back area. Salgado/Emerton and Givet/Olsson are good enough for now.

To be honest I think we'd need to move people on before bringing in more defenders, we do have a lot on the books.

For LB, Taye Taiwo in June would be great and free...

For now, if we manage to sign Formica and Rochina, it will be great. We will be much better than we were in the beginning of the month.

Still have a lot of deadwood in need of pruning.

Two need lopped off asap.

For LB, Taye Taiwo in June would be great and free...

For now, if we manage to sign Formica and Rochina, it will be great. We will be much better than we were in the beginning of the month.

I have heard that Rochina has turned us down, not surprising really, I think he has bigger things on his agenda.

So... glass half full

We've brought in experience in RSC and JJ and two highly rated youngstes in this window (touch wood)

Glass half empty

We've brought in an experienced striker who's injured already and a defensive mid. Picked up two younger players - unproven in the Prem.

Still not addressed the ball player (Adam?) or Left back which were priorities IMO.

24 hours....

Obviously i am not talking about getting Barca`s first team players, i was talking about similar player to Rochina, the Barca B players,

Pointless reply mate

I think you missed my point.

My point being....it would be a great benefit for us but Barca don't get anything out of it.

Why would they send players to Rovers when they are already successful doing things their current way or by sending their players to other Spanish teams or teams who play a similar system.

My point being....it would be a great benefit for us but Barca don't get anything out of it.

Words fail me. How many times do you want it spelling out? PLAYING IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE FOR A SEASON WOULD BE MORE BENEFICIAL FOR THE PLAYERS DEVELOPMENT THAN A SEASON PLAYING FOR THE B TEAM.

Their current system hasn't done too badly has it.

Most of their players have come up through the ranks. :blink:

Why send players who play a certain style and system to Rovers who don't play that system and style.

I can understand them loaning players out but not to Rovers.

If I were a Barca fan, I'd rather my reserve players get sent out to other Spanish clubs and not a team in a foreign league who play the complete opposite way.

Why would they send players to Rovers when they are already successful doing things their current way or by sending their players to other Spanish teams or teams who play a similar system.

Deary me, is it so hard to grasp?????? I give up,

having seen your signature i see how easy it is to confuse you,

You're a little bit obsessed with Taiwo! ;)

He is a good LB and I think he'll end up at a bigger club than Rovers in the summer.

I want the best for Rovers. And if a good player is free and plays in a position that Rovers need to improve, I'll repeat it a lot.

I did the same with Benni McCarthy and RSC (even though we had to pay to get them) and it worked lol.

And we all know that many "news" come from rumours and opinions that were posted here lol

Their current system hasn't done too badly has it.

Most of their players have come up through the ranks. :blink:

Like any club with half a brain they're trying to improve the system that's already in place.

The system has done well, but they've given away millions of pounds worth of talent such as Fabregas, Arteta, and Pique.

A season in the Premier League for these players might have led to this not happening.

Archived