BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews

No point booing Andrews, serves no purpose whatsoever, but what gets me is Trapattoni, Allardyce, Ince and Kean all see him as an integral part of the team? Allardyce even refused to sell him at one stage!

Are the so called football experts wrong or us?

Personally I don't think anyone's wrong who says he isn't a good player by premiership standards and I suspect even those 3 managers would agree with that. What they do consider him to be is a decent squad player for a mid-table side or a decent first team player for a bottom half side. In that they are probably right, firstly because they aren't so-called football experts, they are football experts. Secondly because Andrews played over 30 league games for us in 2 seasons where we finished 15th and 10th.

All these fans who keep asking what does he do right are highlighting how basic their understanding of the game is. Defensive midfield is the position on the pitch least understood by fans, primarily because most of the work done there takes place off the ball when fans aren't watching. When he plays Andrews is there to protect the defence by filling the hole in front of them, covering well, reading the play well, knowing when to commit to a tackle or interception and when to stand off, tracking midfield runners and being in exactly the right position on the pitch at any given moment. Unless you watch him alone for 90 minutes for a number of matches (which I'm sure nobody does) then fans have little idea how well he does these things overall. Managers and scouts know exactly how well he does them. So banging on about passing, ability in possession or even tackling is missing the point. Its positioning, reading of the game and decision making that are more important in Andrews position.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how do you work that out? there would be 11 :wacko:

hows dunny these days is he still telling you tales of dressing room unrest of the allardyce magnetude?

Crawl back under your rock, we're all getting along swimmingly then you turn up :(

Personally I don't think anyone's wrong who says he isn't a good player by premiership standards and I suspect even those 3 managers would agree with that. What they do consider him to be is a decent squad player for a mid-table side or a decent first team player for a bottom half side. In that they are probably right, firstly because they aren't so-called football experts, they are football experts. Secondly because Andrews played over 30 league games for us in 2 seasons where we finished 15th and 10th.

All these fans who keep asking what does he do right are highlighting how basic their understanding of the game is. Defensive midfield is the position on the pitch least understood by fans, primarily because most of the work done there takes place off the ball when fans aren't watching. When he plays Andrews is there to protect the defence by filling the hole in front of them, covering well, reading the play well, knowing when to commit to a tackle or interception and when to stand off, tracking midfield runners and being in exactly the right position on the pitch at any given moment. Unless you watch him alone for 90 minutes for a number of matches (which I'm sure nobody does) then fans have little idea how well he does these things overall. Managers and scouts know exactly how well he does them. So banging on about passing, ability in possession or even tackling is missing the point. Its positioning, reading of the game and decision making that are more important in Andrews position.

But his decision making is awful, his reading of the game may be Ok but he is not quick enough to get where he shopuld be, neither pace nor speed of thought, yes he tracks players but invariably never gets there in time to complete the job and yes I did watch his movement in one game especially, he played four 'hospital' balls where there was really no need and one crossfield ball so far off target it went out of play yards from the nearest player.

To play the kind of game you suggest, you do need the legs to do it, Savage wasnt a great technical player but god he pressed the ball well, had a bit of pace, won his tackles and gave the ball to someone who could play, realised his limitations and played well within them.

To turn into ones own penalty box from the left full back position is schoolboy stuff and poor decision making, to then try to play like Ronaldinho in ones own penalty box is again poor decision making, this guy is 30 years old, an experienced proffessional and should not be making those kind of decisions, you state the managers who rate him yet he played for three clubs prior to MK Dons who obviously didnt rate the guy and he has had one great season in Division 2 - as for International caps, League of Ireland players get those and they are of Blue Square standard at best!

Blue and White I will help you out because I am one of those who watches what players do in comparison to WHAT they are MEANT to do.

Andrews playing as a defensive midfielder is as taboo as the dod making a comeback. Basically, when employed in that role he creates space and plenty of it, the problem in that is that it serves only to benefit the opposition. the evidence is as follows. He follows the player and then is attracted to the ball. His lack of basic footballing knowledge leaves him a second or two short when the ball is moved on quickly, ie PASS and MOVE. Andrews stops for a pause, points and then moves the result being that the ball is now 30 yards away, he is in front of the ball whilst the opposition pile forward through the gap created by his basic errors. Andrews cannot tackle in any way shape or form. Again this damages the defence because his lack of tackle effectiveness again leaves us short of cover. In defence he has a tendency to dawdle around leaving him wide open to losing the ball in a panic and giving it away unnecessarily again creating unwanted and uneeded pressure on our defence. His lack of vision from the defensive midfield is blindingly obvious that is why he simply passes the ball sideways or backwards.

I hope that little lot helps you out for that position.

Andrews playing as a central or attacking midfielder is even worse. With his lack of vision or footballing acumen this is perhaops the worst position to play him. He cannot play the killer ball. he cannot break up play and put our team on the front foot, he doenst understand the term PASS and MOVE, create space and time, look for support or hold up the ball. he is too slow. All too often as Rovers pile forward he is constantly shouting for the ball, he may be unmarked but the problem is he is 20 yrds behind the ball. His shooting is utter crap, his vision in finding our team players is not there and he cannot head a ball to save his skin. Another major fault is his willingness to run and run. 99% of the time he runs like a cissy, runs behind the ball and leaves far too much space behind him leaving the real defensive midfielder overrun as the opposition make hay in the space he leaves.

I hope that helps you out a little more.

Andrews playing as a right back - DONT MAKE ME LAUGH.

Andrews playing as a centre half - SEE ABOVE.

Andrews playing as a centre forward - WOULD RATHER HAVE JR.

Andrews as a substitute (non playing) - I guess the seats need polishing but he takes the place of a potential youngster who would make the difference.

Andrews bwest position - A FREE TRANSFER TO ACCRINGTON STANLEY.

Biggest load of crap I have ever read in my life.

Blue and White I will help you out because I am one of those who watches what players do in comparison to WHAT they are MEANT to do.

Andrews playing as a defensive midfielder is as taboo as the dod making a comeback. Basically, when employed in that role he creates space and plenty of it, the problem in that is that it serves only to benefit the opposition. the evidence is as follows. He follows the player and then is attracted to the ball. His lack of basic footballing knowledge leaves him a second or two short when the ball is moved on quickly, ie PASS and MOVE. Andrews stops for a pause, points and then moves the result being that the ball is now 30 yards away, he is in front of the ball whilst the opposition pile forward through the gap created by his basic errors. Andrews cannot tackle in any way shape or form. Again this damages the defence because his lack of tackle effectiveness again leaves us short of cover. In defence he has a tendency to dawdle around leaving him wide open to losing the ball in a panic and giving it away unnecessarily again creating unwanted and uneeded pressure on our defence. His lack of vision from the defensive midfield is blindingly obvious that is why he simply passes the ball sideways or backwards.

Andrews playing as a central or attacking midfielder is even worse. With his lack of vision or footballing acumen this is perhaops the worst position to play him. He cannot play the killer ball. he cannot break up play and put our team on the front foot, he doenst understand the term PASS and MOVE, create space and time, look for support or hold up the ball. he is too slow. All too often as Rovers pile forward he is constantly shouting for the ball, he may be unmarked but the problem is he is 20 yrds behind the ball. His shooting is utter crap, his vision in finding our team players is not there and he cannot head a ball to save his skin. Another major fault is his willingness to run and run. 99% of the time he runs like a cissy, runs behind the ball and leaves far too much space behind him leaving the real defensive midfielder overrun as the opposition make hay in the space he leaves.

Andrews as a substitute (non playing) - I guess the seats need polishing but he takes the place of a potential youngster who would make the difference.

Absolutely correct.

Biggest load of crap I have ever read in my life.

Absolutely correct.

You're a funny old bugger Al.

you dismiss whatever Blue and White says about Andrews, (which is a fair review to be honest) and then "absolutely agree" on a post which is just full of over exaggerated Andrews bashing.

I honestly believe you probably read about a quarter of the first post and though "this lads making too much sense here...." felt a little stupid and decided to agree with daft lad just to convince yourself that you are infact "knowledgable" about the game and people who make valid points are just "full of crap"

how do you work that out? there would be 11 :wacko:

hows dunny these days is he still telling you tales of dressing room unrest of the allardyce magnetude?

My point was that its like starting with 10....he offers nothing, other than alot of pointing and running around like a girl!

Dunny is finished mate, his legs are knacked - the sooner we replace him the better in my opionion. Yes he can do a job, and I hope he scores some key goals in the run in....but I think we need to be looking to improve on players like him.

2 key stages of our future.....1 stay up, 2 really improve the squad in the summer.

You're a funny old bugger Al.

you dismiss whatever Blue and White says about Andrews, (which is a fair review to be honest) and then "absolutely agree" on a post which is just full of over exaggerated Andrews bashing.

I honestly believe you probably read about a quarter of the first post and though "this lads making too much sense here...." felt a little stupid and decided to agree with daft lad just to convince yourself that you are infact "knowledgable" about the game and people who make valid points are just "full of crap"

Just changed my mind. Yours is now the biggest load of crap I have ever read in my life.

My point was that its like starting with 10....he offers nothing, other than alot of pointing and running around like a girl!

Dunny is finished mate, his legs are knacked - the sooner we replace him the better in my opionion. Yes he can do a job, and I hope he scores some key goals in the run in....but I think we need to be looking to improve on players like him.

2 key stages of our future.....1 stay up, 2 really improve the squad in the summer.

but how does that stop dunny passing you inside u

Info?

^^^^^^^^^^^......You have to laugh. Written in such a way as to demonstrate finite knowledge and understanding, but to state any pro-footballer, or semi-pro footballer, or even decent amateur football does not understand pass and move football, can't head the ball, can't tackle, can't shoot, does not understand, read or know the game, in fact can't play the game at all, is like I say laughable. Not only is it laughable, but it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on your part and your very basic footbaling analysis was amusing to read as it told me more about you than Keith Andrews.

This is professional sport and the clue is in the word professional. People being paid to play sport. Increasingly paid very well indeed. High up in their respective career ladders. To believe for one moment that a player could have got so far in the game without the ability to do any of the things you have mentioned is ridiculous, with your wording tailored purely to get your dislike of Andrews across.

Even players in league one and league two are extremely good and talented people and have a number of the key ingredients required to play football at a decent level. Some of the ingredients, but not all. Even semi-pro players, or in fact anyone getting paid to play pro-sport is of a certain calibre and deserving of a certain level of respect for their efforts, achievements and standing in the game.

If you had talked with any understanding about confidence and the mental side / approach and the part it plays in all forms and levels of professional sport then you would have caught my attention. For even the very best it is hard to play well when confidence and peace of mind has been damaged. It is virtually impossible to perform well, if not settled, relaxed and confident in your own mind.

I do however agree that Andrews time has come to an end at the club. He was a cheap no nonsense purchase, a low cost gamble on a lowish wage (comparitively when first signed) and at that time met the expectations people had of him. He has not been able to cement a first team place, nor win over our crowd, and is no better than what we have available with P.Jones, J.Jones, Nzonzi, MGP, Emerton, Dunn, etc all able to play in the centre of the park. He is now damaged goods and it is sensible for all concerned that he moves on. Kean has been selecting him, not that means much to me, but it stands to reason that Andrews must be impressing in training to get a start.

Taking your "Andrews is pish" hat off for a second, consider how and why he has played so many times if lacking all the basic fundamentals you describe? Why did Ince buy him, SA improve his contract, Kean play him and Ireland cap him, if as you say he is totally flawed and useless? I know I am not supposed to ask that question for some reason on here, but I think that is more down to the fact that people have no sensible or accurate answer available, rather than it not being pertinent. Andrews has performed to a certain level at times for the Rovers, hence keep getting picked in squads repeatedly.

As an aside, Andrews will have forgotten more than you will ever know about football.

(Before anyone implies that I am related to our Keith or similar, I assure you I am not. Clearly he needs to leave, but the disparaging nature of comments about this player are often not accurate, hence my reply to this post).

^^^^^^^^^^^......You have to laugh. Written in such a way as to demonstrate finite knowledge and understanding, but to state any pro-footballer, or semi-pro footballer, or even decent amateur football does not understand pass and move football, can't head the ball, can't tackle, can't shoot, does not understand, read or know the game, in fact can't play the game at all, is like I say laughable. Not only is it laughable, but it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on your part and your very basic footbaling analysis was amusing to read as it told me more about you than Keith Andrews.

This is professional sport and the clue is in the word professional. People being paid to play sport. Increasingly paid very well indeed. High up in their respective career ladders. To believe for one moment that a player could have got so far in the game without the ability to do any of the things you have mentioned is ridiculous, with your wording tailored purely to get your dislike of Andrews across.

Even players in league one and league two are extremely good and talented people and have a number of the key ingredients required to play football at a decent level. Some of the ingredients, but not all. Even semi-pro players, or in fact anyone getting paid to play pro-sport is of a certain calibre and deserving of a certain level of respect for their efforts, achievements and standing in the game.

If you had talked with any understanding about confidence and the mental side / approach and the part it plays in all forms and levels of professional sport then you would have caught my attention. For even the very best it is hard to play well when confidence and peace of mind has been damaged. It is virtually impossible to perform well, if not settled, relaxed and confident in your own mind.

I do however agree that Andrews time has come to an end at the club. He was a cheap no nonsense purchase, a low cost gamble on a lowish wage (comparitively when first signed) and at that time met the expectations people had of him. He has not been able to cement a first team place, nor win over our crowd, and is no better than what we have available with P.Jones, J.Jones, Nzonzi, MGP, Emerton, Dunn, etc all able to play in the centre of the park. He is now damaged goods and it is sensible for all concerned that he moves on. Kean has been selecting him, not that means much to me, but it stands to reason that Andrews must be impressing in training to get a start.

Taking your "Andrews is pish" hat off for a second, consider how and why he has played so many times if lacking all the basic fundamentals you describe? Why did Ince buy him, SA improve his contract, Kean play him and Ireland cap him, if as you say he is totally flawed and useless? I know I am not supposed to ask that question for some reason on here, but I think that is more down to the fact that people have no sensible or accurate answer available, rather than it not being pertinent. Andrews has performed to a certain level at times for the Rovers, hence keep getting picked in squads repeatedly.

As an aside, Andrews will have forgotten more than you will ever know about football.

(Before anyone implies that I am related to our Keith or similar, I assure you I am not. Clearly he needs to leave, but the disparaging nature of comments about this player are often not accurate, hence my reply to this post).

Amen

Incredibly well put

Like I said, in your head; people + valid points = full of crap

Deleted

Edit

Forget it I'm not prepared to get involved in trading personal insults.

Robbie Savage Quote, 'Keith Andrews is a very poor player'

Archived