• Last Reply

We're forever hoofing footballs,

Ugly footballs in the air.

They fly so high,

Nearly reach the sky,

Then like our dreams,

They fade and die.

Nice.

Haven't read all the posts on this thread but I really think this is a very strange move by Sam and a marriage ultimately destined to end in tears.

Can't see the West Ham faithful (home of attractive football Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst etc etc) acceptiong Sam's style of play unless they get off to an absolutely blistering start.

Similarly can't see Sam or Mrs. A. being happy with him having to work in East London. Still I suppose the promise of up to £3m quid for twelve months work compensates for a lot.

I don't think it's so much about us staying up last season as what may happen next season.

But this is not the thread for that.

It is the thread for discussing Sam Allardyce though, and as Rovers fans the natural thing is to compare him with the current incumbent.

Plus we are currently a club "in transition" and fans are, rightly, unsettled. The one thing Sam brought was the relative certainty of safety. We hear some speculation (e.g. Samba, Jones, or even Hoilett leaving); or Mutu (!) being linked; or Tom Finn going; and the wounds are opened again, and we revisit the cyclic debate about where we might have been if Sam had been given the money to spend instead of Kean. Not ideal but understandable.

All this said, this thread still has a place. There is a chance to see how Sam might have steered Rovers in the Championship had he taken us down. I'll be watching with interest.

Every year we deal with our best players being linked to other clubs, thats not a Kean or Allardyce issue at all.

I didn't particularly enjoy watching Allardyce's football and often I didn't like his team selections. It got us results so I lived with it. I dont honestly mind that he was fired, it was just the timing of it that was ludicrous.

Kean being thrown in at that time was beyond stupid. It would have been hard for an experienced manager to do well under those conditions. Kean inevitably made mistakes and took us closer to relegation then Allardyce would have done, however he also got us out. If he is as bad a manager as many people claim, we would have been relegated. Its harder to get a side out of relegation scrap then it is to get a side into one.

I dont think he's neccesarily the man for the job, but he's here and I believe he has the players on his side. He's getting the best out of Hoilett and playing better football then Sam. I'd give him another six months.

A quick look here (http://premiersoccerstats.com/Managers.cfm), using points per game (the fairest measure of performance I'm sure you'll agree) reveals Sam's average points per game across his time in the Prem is 1.296. Beaten by 'top' managers like Glenn Hoddle, Tony Parkes, Frank Clark, John Gregory, Gerry Francis, Martin O' Neill, & Ray Harford. I haven't bothered to check to real top 15/20 Premier League managers as he'll be nowhere near.

If you still want to prove he's 4th or 5th, or pick at my likely pretty shoddy calculations, ;) knock yourself out. :tu:

Good luck to him at WHU, he's going to need it.

Talk about using facts blindy, Ray Harford, took a club that finished 1st and left 18 months later in 20th with no wins, has this even been achieved before in history of the top flight?

and you are using him as an example Beaten????. I think Sam record might have picked up with the worlds best striker Alan Shearer in his team.

Can't see the West Ham faithful (home of attractive football Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst etc etc) acceptiong Sam's style of play unless they get off to an absolutely blistering start.

Over 80% on KUMB(bets supporters website) back the appointment of Fat Sam.

Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers about west ham fans.....

A quick look here (http://premiersoccerstats.com/Managers.cfm), using points per game (the fairest measure of performance I'm sure you'll agree) reveals Sam's average points per game across his time in the Prem is 1.296. Beaten by 'top' managers like Glenn Hoddle, Tony Parkes, Frank Clark, John Gregory, Gerry Francis, Martin O' Neill, & Ray Harford. I haven't bothered to check to real top 15/20 Premier League managers as he'll be nowhere near.

If you still want to prove he's 4th or 5th, or pick at my likely pretty shoddy calculations, ;) knock yourself out. :tu:

Good luck to him at WHU, he's going to need it.

1.296 points per game eh? Sorry but your arithmatic is wrong. You've taken a simple average. The true total is 1.33 points per match which is a return of just over 50 points per season EVERY season that he has manaaged in the Prem. An excellent performance in anybody's book given the clubs and their resources that he managed and a total that would have gained an 8th position in the Prem last season!

Good find that site. A truly remarkeable statistic MarkBRFC71, thanks for that I shall keep it for future reference.

Those names though... Remind me they sound familiar but exactly who are those people again and what are they all doing now? :rolleyes: Just as an aside I'd bet that Allardyce has managed more matches in the Prem than all that lot rolled together and divided by equivalent years. Might even have amassed more points too. Oh btw TP was never made manager was he?

After the crap that you lot have gone through you need some discipline to be instilled through the club. We had Souness do our dirty work and at that time in our history it was completely necessary too. Give SA the support that you must and he'll certainly get you back up in the Prem.

Don't take this the wrong way mick the myth about WHU playing total football the right way etc is just as rubbish as Evertons school of science claims too. I've not seen WHU play like Arsenal ever. I've never even seen them threaten to finish top 3 in the league either. An odd FA cup win every generation or so has been the best thats happened. To play like your reputation you must have a team of top top players whereas all WHU have ever done is develop plenty of quality players and then seen em spirited away by bigger clubs. Your main rivals should be spurs and the Arse not bloody Millwall.

Oh btw ... Contrary to media based folklore WHU didn't win the World Cup in 66 either. ;)

According to m' learned teacher friend on here unless Sam delivers the Champions League title to Upton Park Hammers fans will want him out.

True or not ?

After the crap that you lot have gone through you need some discipline to be instilled through the club. We had Souness do our dirty work and at that time in our history it was completely necessary too. Give SA the support that you must and he'll certainly get you back up in the Prem.

Don't take this the wrong way mick the myth about WHU playing total football the right way etc is just as rubbish as Evertons school of science claims too. I've not seen WHU play like Arsenal ever. I've never even seen them threaten to finish top 3 in the league either. An odd FA cup win every generation or so has been the best thats happened. To play like your reputation you must have a team of top top players whereas all WHU have ever done is develop plenty of quality players and then seen em spirited away by bigger clubs. Your main rivals should be spurs and the Arse not bloody Millwall.

Oh btw ... Contrary to media based folklore WHU didn't win the World Cup in 66 either. ;)

We haven't played passing football sice redknapp left. We have never been about winning trophies, good job really as we never win anything but we had a reputation for passing football. Whether we win or lose it didn't really seem to matter.

We are good at producing quality young british players. Our youth team have only won the youth cup once recently but we have produced more quality players than any other club.

Of course we won the world cup, thats our greatest achievement ;)

take no notice mick the slug is a self centred ,hoofing ,lumping ,cheating ,boring SOB! :P

What he's trying to say mick is that Allardyce has 'got on'. :rolleyes:

btw.... I'm confident that your lot would still be in the Prem if you'd taken him at Christmas and I don't think anybody on here who understands anything about football other than what they have learned on Championship manager would even dare to argue against that. Que sera sera.

According to m' learned teacher friend on here unless Sam delivers the Champions League title to Upton Park Hammers fans will want him out.

True or not ?

According to my mate Jim Sam could have delivered champions league football this season at Blackburn.

True or not fellow Rovers fans?

According to my mate Jim Sam could have delivered champions league football this season at Blackburn.

What a load of ######..

I think you spend too much time with children for your own good....

No that isn't true, why are you still saying it?

Whats not true?, I PM'd and called a truce but true to form Jim has continued, I took the bait- moment of weakness.

Mods- my apologies I will not derail the thread.

I don't know about that, but I would bet my dog that we would have finished higher this season and would have done better next season than we will.

In my opinion and all that good stuff.

Doesn't stop you disseminating barely relevant manure on most of the threads on here... ;)

Manure like the ditty on the previous page that broke a (glorious) 24 hour lull in the bickering to start another round of pathetic anti-Allardyce abuse, smileys and mocking from the usual suspects? Although maybe I'm being bit harsh, it must have taken many days of creative genius to change the words bubble to football, blow to hoof and pretty to ugly, whilst keeping the rest of the song exactly the same. Its funny because I keep reading posts that Sam has moved on and people should get over it, then the exact same posters use a contender for lamest ever football song adaptation as an excuse to do the exact opposite.

Archived