BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2011 Transfer Window Part One

You can't see the difference between a 19 year old with 30 odd appearances and a 24 year old with 160 odd appearances including champions league and international tournaments?

Since when have transfer fees been based on this criteria Bucky?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since when have transfer fees been based on this criteria Bucky?

Forever?

Even when he went to Leeds for 18m he had played over 120 times including for England.

So is 20m a good deal? Yes.

Did Liverpool overpay for Carroll? Probably (depends on his fitness).

Ffs.

If this Jones situation isn't 'remarkable' then I don't know what is.

There is NO precedent to this. The only vague one was Christian Ziege going to Liverpool ten years ago and he played for Liverpool for about a year until it was settled.

Jones is under contract to Rovers. This is miles different to anything that has gone before.

There is NO price agreed yet.

The price clause thing is central to this.

However there are background issues - which can't be proved - that are really winding up the owners.

I don't imagine there will be a quick result on this despite two days or more of attempts to solve the problem.

Jones will probably go to Man U but not at the price in his contract - and probably NOT immediately.

But it only takes one call and a sensible figure.

In your opinion Nicko, how are the press/media viewing Venky's after what's gone on these last few days?

Ffs.

If this Jones situation isn't 'remarkable' then I don't know what is.

There is NO precedent to this. The only vague one was Christian Ziege going to Liverpool ten years ago and he played for Liverpool for about a year until it was settled.

Jones is under contract to Rovers. This is miles different to anything that has gone before.

There is NO price agreed yet.

The price clause thing is central to this.

However there are background issues - which can't be proved - that are really winding up the owners.

I don't imagine there will be a quick result on this despite two days or more of attempts to solve the problem.

Jones will probably go to Man U but not at the price in his contract - and probably NOT immediately.

But it only takes one call and a sensible figure.

I see Nicko's post as a hint that Man Utd did tap him up, got caught and now Venky's are demanding more money or else they'll go to the FA. Not sure whether the 'future WAG' was doing a Lady McBeth about moving on, but if she did then that would annoy the Rao brothers et al.

I think this may even go to court the way things are going!

You're unbelieveble sometimes. Transfer fees have always been based on age and performances!

So, talent/ability/potential doesn't come into it?

Yes of course it does.

That's why he is the most expensive teenage defender in Premiership history (may not be correct) at 16m let alone 20.5m.

Could be a turning point for Venkys. The sort of gesture that gets the fans behind them. Everyone likes it when their club sticks it up United.

It doesn't hide the problems of club management at Ewood, in fact it highlights them, but if Venkys are as angry as they seem to be they'll sort it out and take more interest themselves.

4 signings of quality in the right areas and who knows, we could be turning the corner.

Don't lose it from here Venkys!

In your opinion Nicko, how are the press/media viewing Venky's after what's gone on these last few days?

The people who put out the tripe about the owners not 'understanding' the clause really need to take a good look at themselves. It is a borderline racist remark.

Those who have been fed anti-Venkys info from within and just outside the club may feel a bit sheepish right now.

Anybody else would say 'well done' for standing up for yourselves.

But the bottom line is that a very good player has left.

I will reserve my unstinting praise for when the money is spent.

That is the far more important thing now.

Especially as you may still lose Samba before you get anyone in.

The people who put out the tripe about the owners not 'understanding' the clause really need to take a good look at themselves. It is a borderline racist remark.

Those who have been fed anti-Venkys info from within and just outside the club may feel a bit sheepish right now.

Anybody else would say 'well done' for standing up for yourselves.

But the bottom line is that a very good player has left.

I will reserve my unstinting praise for when the money is spent.

That is the far more important thing now.

Especially as you may still lose Samba before you get anyone in.

Don't mention the R word nicko.

People don't like it. In fact, they hate it.

Yes of course it does.

well you just said it doesn't. Make your mind up.

Jim was arguing Jones had potential to be another Ferdinand who went for £26m eight years ago - and you responded with his age and appearances.

well you just said it doesn't. Make your mind up.

Jim was arguing Jones had potential to be another Ferdinand who went for £26m eight years ago - and you responded with his age and appearances.

Ability costs more than experience.

Utd bought Ronaldo for 12m and sold for 80m. Were Sporting idiots for not asking for 80m originally as he had "potential" to go for 80m?

What are you arguing? That 20m for a guy with 30 appearances and a fairly serious knee injury is a bad deal for us?

Every player has his price.

Since when is insinuating Venky's are naive and wet behind the ears when it comes to the madness of football transfers a 'racist remark'?

Anyways, as 47er says, nowt better then sticking it up the rags, nice one Venky's. Onwards from here.

The best young centre forward in England, Andy Carroll, was sold for £35m this year so a good price for Jones, the best young centre half in the country and seen as a future England captain, would be around the same level.

I agree, especially since the contract was signed in January when Carroll moved for that sum. But do we know whether Jones had a lower figure in his previous contract? Clubs don't all the power anymore either...

What I don't get is why English clubs set these fees at a level where, if they perform well, will be seen as cheap - while in Spain they set it to astronomical figures so the selling clubs get theirs and then some.

You're unbelieveble sometimes. Transfer fees have always been based on age and performances!

So potential doesn't come into it. My we paid over the odds for Shearer didn't we.

Only a British transfer record at the time ;)

Suggesting that fans who don't like the way Venky's have run the club are racists, is way below the belt and totally out of order. Include yourself in that Bucky.

Let's have it right. There is always suspicion about outsiders and people you don't know.

There is no doubt that particular elephant has been in the room for some time.

But to presume that Indian business people are in some way thick when they employ widly-expensive lawyers to do contracts is plain daft.

You would not have seen some of the snide stuff in the papers recently if it had been Man U standing up for a clause in their contract and 'concerned' about the background to the deal.

Let's have it right. There is always suspicion about outsiders and people you don't know.

But to presume that Indian business people are in some way thick when they employ widly-expensive lawyers to do contracts is plain daft.

You would not have seen some of the snide stuff in the papers recently if it had been Man U standing up for a clause in their contract and 'concerned' about the background to the deal.

That's true, some press reports have been condescending.

That's true, some press reports have been condescending.

Indeed. Yet people on here use this condescending press as a reason why Venky's are bad.

We have never been liked so I don't know why people care now.

For example, Bryan posted a link to a journalist saying something along the lines of "Blackburn should just get over themselves, they are idiots, they put the clause in the contract and should just let Man Utd do what they want".

This was supposedly evidence that Venky's are liars and they inserted the clause of their own accord and I should wind my neck in.

Sure.

Totally agree with nicko, there's always that thought in the average fans mind (not mine) that because they are foreign they struggle to understand a contract, that has been mentioned by posters on this site and been insinuated by the press. Like nicko said, if Man U had done this they would be commended, ad I for one commend Venkys for standing up for themselves and the club!

It is a very valid point. I'm no wordsmith so i can't pin point where or how some newspapers have done it, but lots of the articles portrayed a real feeling of desperation on Venky's part. As if they were kids stamping their feet and not letting go of their prized possession. Without any basis for complaint or negotiation. We can all speculate on what is and what isn't happening, but the silence Utd's end speaks volumes. If this deal was right and proper then it would have been completed days ago.

It seems most of the rags hold absolute contempt for Venkys. Based on what? I would suggest one thing and one thing only. Sam bleeding Allardyce. They should have handled that in a better fashion, but it shouldn't be a stick to beat them with forever more. If Utd have a case to answer then it makes for a refreshing change to hear someone standing up to them.

Archived