BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer 2011 Transfer Window Part Two

BRFCS Content

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we kept the squad we had at this minute in time we'd stay up.

half of it's a mentality thing. you JUST scraped through last season by the skin on your teeth. Some of your best performers from last year have left or are leaving. Nobody new comes in. Don't know about you but if i'm a player in that situation, I'd be pretty depressed about the coming season. I doubt they would have the inspiration to get over the first 'bad spell' they encounter. half the squad that "kept us up" the past few seasons are getting past it. It's a critical time for new blood to be injected into the squad, and hopefully that is what is happening.

9 MILLION POUNDS

I just wanted to be sure people are aware of what clubs like Sunderland, who to my knowledge have never achieved a single thing in their entire history, are spending on no-name players.

Why is it with our history and our achievements....you know, nevermind. Forget all this.

Actually, Sunderland have won six top flights (twice our amount), two FA Cups, and are 131 years old. They've also been spending hard for some time. Not sure why you're bothered about them signing 'no-name' players anyway.

30 pages since I popped in yesterday and still nothing. Good to see some of the naysayers have reared their heads again now that things are not so rosy as thought. Still feeling were not going to do much.

What you are all saying is that without them (RSC, Benjani and Diouf(s) all contributed but were never absolutely crucial in gaining us points that others could have done in their place) we would be relegated next season...thus putting us below or on a par with, at the very least, the three teams coming up.

E Diouf was crucial in some of the games for us since Sam took over and there was a period where he was our best player. M Diouf chipped in with a fair number of goals as well. Santa Cruz was gash. Phil Jones was absolutely crucial to our good results both under Sam and under Kean. I'm pretty sure we lost very few games where he pleyd in. J Jones was arguably the best player in the latter half of last season as well.

The bare squad still remains, granted we may lose Samba but we have players such as Hoilett and Olsson who have flourished under Kean. Defenders are more easily replaced than attackers as well.

Nelsen, Dunn, Salgado and Emerton are aging. All of them have been absolutely massive for us in the past few seasons at different times. The only good players we're really left with (if Samba leaves) are Robinson, Givet, Olsson, Hoilett and N'zonzi. That's nowhere near good enough to build a strong team around.

By the way, I would argue that Olsson actually began to flourish under Sam who nurtured his talents as an attacking player by playing him on the wing (something that previous managers had failed to do).

If we kept the squad we had at this minute in time we'd stay up.

So what's the point? We went through all these changes as a club and as a team just to stay on the same spot? To fight against relegation, season after season? This would be a massive step back, in fact. If I'm not wrong, we've had FIVE top 10 finishes in the last SEVEN seasons. The 2 seasons where we failed this feat being the ones where the solid foundations of the club were shaken by inexperienced managers.

Prior to selling the club to Venky's, the club did a tremendous job in uncovering excellent players on the cheap and then selling them on for vast sums of money and be able to repay outstanding debts. They then succeeded in keeping the team afloat in the Premier League on a miniscule/negative budget. By keeping the club a sustainable enterprise they were able to attract a buyer for the club who would hopefully come in and take the club further.

So far they have not shown that they are. Yes, they keep saying that they will and we hear all these crazy rumours about players we WANT to sign, but nothing concrete has been happening. We're not moving forward, we're not bidding for players and we're not being told what's going on.

We're fans on the internet... WE WANT DAILY UPDATES!!!

Anyone see on SSN yesterday that the Yeovil manager had been on Twitter asking the fans if they knew of any players their scouts should have a look at signing? Quite an interesting approach.

LOL

Don't already one Muppet owning the club telling us to sign Becks and Maradona as manager??

Just made the mistake of reading the last 40 pages of this thread. Venky's have achieved the first two objectives, getting publicity and winding up the over-excitable.

The true story is every seat will be fitted with a screen and console so we can all play FM for 90 minutes every Saturday.

Dear me has no one, apart from those I would expect to understand, realised we can't afford to pay all these players.

Anyway back to the real world......time for work.

Just made the mistake of reading the last 40 pages of this thread. Venky's have achieved the first two objectives, getting publicity and winding up the over-excitable.

The true story is every seat will be fitted with a screen and console so we can all play FM for 90 minutes every Saturday.

Dear me has no one, apart from those I would expect to understand, realised we can't afford to pay all these players.

How exactly can we not afford players that we haven't discussed contracts with?

Are we not around the tenth highest salary payers in the Prem. Pretty sure that would equate to being in the top 30/40 accross Europe. Matter of balancing the squad.

Not saying they use it as an Oracle but you know what I mean oh Mr X will play at Rovers I will try and get him for Stoke or Villa etc etc.

But they could do that with any transfer story in the paper too. Very few, if any, transfers happen completely out of the blue without any news outlet picking up on it before it happened.

I don't understand this "let's keep our transfer business completely secret or else other clubs might go after the players we want" mentality. Do you think it is in the player or the agents interest to keep it secret and thus remove any bidding for player (and thus better wages and fees for the agent), do you think it's in the selling club's interest who would want an auction to get the best price?

No the only club that benefits from secrecy is the buying club, which means you somehow have to stop the player, his agent and the selling club putting other teams on alert about his sale.

Reading a shopping list on here is the last of the buying club's worries.

What publicity?

Other than this thread there has been zero mention of Rovers in the newspapers, SSN,radio etc...

In fact I was talking to other fans (who don't read this mb) who were saying that it is really quiet.

I briefly told them what was being spoken about on here and I got the usual response of "get a life" :lol:

What publicity?

Other than this thread there has been zero mention of Rovers in the newspapers, SSN,radio etc...

In fact I was talking to other fans (who don't read this mb) who were saying that it is really quiet.

I briefly told them what was being spoken about on here and I got the usual response of "get a life" :lol:

Dude WTF, why do you keep entering the real world??

What publicity?

That is the usual Rovers fans way until a) it gets in the LT or b] we lose matches. Then cue OUTRAGE.

Something striking me;

I dont think we have equally inside info now with the new regime than we had during the Trust. Media goes silent for periods and we dont hear anything. In january J Jones, Rochina and Formica came like surprises while we were linked to other players.

We were linked to Rochina from before the transfer window and Formica took about 3 weeks to complete. Jermaine Jones was less "public".

if i remember, formica was about to sign for Monaco and we came in at the last minute and made an offer, we were rumoured for ages about signing him but only put in the bid once Monaco had agreed a fee, maybe that's what where waiting for so we don't pay over the odds for a player, its a very dangerous game to play ,cause you could miss out on the players you want

The names being thrown around are a list of possible targets Paul, well not be buying them all!

But itll certainly be interesting to see who we actually end up with, as the Robbie Keane rumours seem to be gathering momentum, RSC and Diouf now seem to be being mentioned again, and if we start with those up front well go down, as for Venkys, they'll be seen as cranks, thats for sure.

Archived