BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League Cup

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think West Ham fans are happy at the moment....but thats hoofball :)

Nice with a win today, take the confidence for the Everton game and get 3 points!

to be fair if you've watched West Ham this year they haven't played hoofball at all, most likely because their midfield is superior to their opponents. Most managers will fit their tactics around their players strengths rather than the other way around.

I think West Ham fans and Sam will be more upset with the goals conceded in injury time in their two home league games.

Kean: I felt it was important to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and we certainly did that. I think the fans have seen a glimpse of the future tonight.

Yeah when we are relegated and able to beat teams in the championship/league one!

Boring. We won a game - can't you at least be slightly happy?

Yeah we won a game - the only positive until we get realistic!

We were allowed way too much space. We were playing a very poor League One side and therefore in no way tested ourselves or the young lads in the team. They probably would have more experience and more of a test playing a reserve match.

Jerome Anderson was at the game, hardly a positive thing.

Boring. We won a game - can't you at least be slightly happy?

I am pleased we won but would have preferred three goals late rather than right at the start, feels a bit flat losing the second half 1-0. For some reason I can't separate this game and the preseason one against Kilmarnock, which is irrational and stupid I know, although I am curious as to who would win out of them and tonight's Wednesday team.

Only listened to the Radio but from listening to that we were great during the first 10 mins, eased off a bit after the 3 goals but still were in control of the game. Second half we had to bring Lowe on and put him in central defense and they put on Morrison who gave our defense a lot more trouble. For large periods in the second half Wednesday managed to control the play and had their chances. Both sides had chances towards the end to either kill the game off or push for an equaliser.

Whilst it's a good win and should give us some confidence going into the next game Everton will be a far tougher prospect at the weekend. They won't be giving us the time on the ball we had against a poor league one side and also we should be concerned about how we tend to really drop off in the second half, one summariser said he was concerned about how tired the likes of Goodwillie, Formica and Rochina looked.

On Kean one game will not change my view that he isn't up to the standard required, as the saying goes "One swallow does not a summer make".

• Backroom

I agree with Kean in a way the future Rovers team is very exciting we just need to sort the present and make sure that future is one of a premier league team.

For me apart from a lazy goal Wednesday never threatened it was certainly never a game and we just played out time.

I've seen my seasons quota of backheels tonight I think

Just got back. Pretty boring fare if I'm honest. The 3 goals on 8 minute blitz at the start meant it was largely petering out from then on. Two disallowed goals for Rovers. Poor free kicks from Peds and some long range misses from Petrovic -hjopefully he'll do well after a full 90 minutes.

I think Goodwillie is going to really annoy me. Can hold the ball reasonably well when it's given to feet but will not make any attemp to jump for the ball if it's in the air. Knows where the goal is though - hopefully that will be enough.

No mention of Bert leaving. Kean on Radio Rovers said there has been interest from Oz so not sure if he is really off. Didn't have a great game.

I was glad not to see Roberts but he'll likely start on Saturday. Great boost having Givet back though.

Bit of a comfortable yawnfest for 80 minutes really. I cannot take anything from this game which makes me think our PL form will be boosted - except perhaps Givet but we really need him at left back with Samba and Nelsen back. Formica, Rochina and Hoilett (when he came on late on) looked good. But I would expect them to against a League One side.

Oh, and Megson is really giving Kean a run for his money in the baldy stakes.

Lowe is a poor player, wont get a game, get rid.

Looks a great prospect to me. Can tackle and pass and is quick and strong. Nothing spectacular but solid. Did well out of position tonight, and I'm in no doubt he's a much better bet in centre-mid than Pedersen or Grella.

Your views on the game?

First three attacks and three goals unbelievable. Then it went a bit like a training session with Sheffield Wednesday very poor indeed and Rovers taking their foot off the pedal.

Watching the second half was a disappointment, though Formica worked tremendously hard for the team but for next to no reward. Rochina played out wide left, scored two goals and looked a class act. Goodwillie not fit enough for premier league standard, scored a good goal, but hes young enough to get upto speeed, though it was noticeable that he runs at 'ten to two' giving him a massive disadvantage when it comes to speed.

Summed up as ten minutes of bliss followed by eighty minutes of dross. Should have won this game by a lot more but the overall team performance dropped after that initial ten minute burst.

Wow great start. Balaji with his son behind me on the balcony but I'm sure Jerome Anderson is with them which is surprising.

I saw Balaji there with his son and Venny Rao. Think quite alot the Rao's family were there. Also saw Jerome Anderson there aswell.

Wonder if he is back on the scene now

Radio Lancs during commentary said Emerton is defo going to Sydney!

So why did they ask Kean about "speculation" surrounding Emerton leaving?

EDIT: sorry that was Radio Rovers. Not sure how Radio Lancs know if Kean doesn't though!

Brilliant first 15 minutes or so, Wednesday didn't know what had hit them. Great link-up play from Formica, Rochina & Goodwillie at times. Lethal finishing as well from Rochina & Goodwillie (the later had two goals ruled out as well as the one he did score). Definitely promising signs on an attacking front, was only a league one side but rarely I have I seen a Rovers team attack with such swagger as in the early stages in this game.

Game sort of died down after that blistering start, still could have won by more. Petrovic missed a sitter from about three yards out but he did show some nice touches and passing at times, although he doesn't look quite ready for the first team just yet then again maybe it's a bit harsh to judge him off the back of his first 90 minutes in English football.

Archived