BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League Cup

I thought all of Kean's signings looked promising, if not fully match fit.

Goodwille is the most mobile defender (at least for the first hour) we have had since Bellamy. He will be a pest for defenders and should get himself into predatory goalscoring positions, which is something we have missed.

Petrovic clearly has talent, but will need to up his fitness and mobility for the PL.

Both Rochina and Formica add spark and creativity, but need to be more robust, and learn when to release.

A promising work in progress.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's not THAT slow. He clearly isn't going to outpace players, but his position doesn't require that sort of speed.

I watched him carefully last night, for his build, he should have some pace, yet he couldnt get past an opponent and if you havent got the strength as well, you really will struggle. The lad has got ability on the ball but he has to do things more quickly to be a success, once a defender knows a lad has not got the physical attributes, he will be all over him like a rash, OK maybe in a game you may get a flash of brilliance but is one flash of brilliance enough?

Sorry Paul, but the crowd of 8,607 is pretty average for the last few seasons. We played Norwich this time last year and got about 1,000 more but two years ago we got a smaller crowd playing Peterborough in the fourth round.

Now I see the number I agree but sat in the JW upper, so can't asses that stand at all, it looked very small in the other areas.

Rochina and Formica appear to have a lot of skill but I was very disappointed to see Formica lose out in a chase for the ball with a defender with three yards start. If he had any pace he would have been through on goal. Sadly he appears too slow for the PL.

To be fair it was virtually the last minute of the game, I question more his stamina than his pace to be honest. He isn't the quickest but I don't think players in the position he plays needs to be that quick. He's already shown he's got an eye for goal and he's got great technique and always keeps the play moving with short, quick passing.

He's not THAT slow. He clearly isn't going to outpace players, but his position doesn't require that sort of speed.

Every attacking position requires a turn of speed. If he is to play off or perform 1/2's with any centre forward he needs to have pace. In that chase against 2 defenders last night and with a few yards start he appeared to be going backwards. Reminded me of Barry against Ozil in the World Cup defeat.He was caught in 15 yards.

...and Barry is rubbish. He'll never make it in the premier league...oh wait.

Having pace is a wonderful asset, but part of the problem with the English mentality in football is that it is expected that you should have pace or strength and, when possible, both. It is true that a player with skill, pace and power is very difficult to stop, but a player who can read the game and possesses great skill can make it in the game, even in a league where the game is physical and played at high speed. There are quite a few examples of central midfielders and even strikers making it in the premier league when they had no real size of pace.

We'll have to wait and see if he can read the game well enough to compensate for not being quick, but it is certainly possible. He seemed quite at ease in the season opener and he stands every chance.

Wolves a pretty physical side and formica was arguably the best player on the pitch that game. He'll be a great signing for us and at 3.5mil looks a bargain already in my eyes.

Disclaimer - He's in my fantasy team, so chances are he will either a)get injured B) do nothing all season :wacko:

Formica is alot better than Di Santo. plus 2 totally players. DS is a target man and Formica is a guy who plays in the number 10 role like Bergkamp did

When Di Santo at first came he ran himself ragged for the team, last night Formica did the same, yet on reflection like other posters have mentioned for all the hard work, he didnt really make an impression on the game and this was against inferior opposition.

When Di Santo at first came he ran himself ragged for the team, last night Formica did the same, yet on reflection like other posters have mentioned for all the hard work, he didnt really make an impression on the game and this was against inferior opposition.

Front men will be judged on goals, simple as that, Formica has started well and lets hope he continues in the same vein come Saturday if he starts.

Young lad in a new league and new country. Would be great if he dominated in every game, but its just not realistic. He has shown glimpses already tho of being a good player. Lets give him a little time and not judge him on one game in the league cup

A good workout for the team,nice to see the new lads on the scoresheet.

Sheffield Wednesday,a big city club who you would associate with the top flight,although they made changes,let last night serve as a dire and stark warning of what can happen to a football club once the rot sets in.....absolutely ruddy awful! :o

...and Barry is rubbish. He'll never make it in the premier league...oh wait.

Having pace is a wonderful asset, but part of the problem with the English mentality in football is that it is expected that you should have pace or strength and, when possible, both. It is true that a player with skill, pace and power is very difficult to stop, but a player who can read the game and possesses great skill can make it in the game, even in a league where the game is physical and played at high speed. There are quite a few examples of central midfielders and even strikers making it in the premier league when they had no real size of pace.

We'll have to wait and see if he can read the game well enough to compensate for not being quick, but it is certainly possible. He seemed quite at ease in the season opener and he stands every chance.

Pehaps its worth elaborating slightly, maybe pace was a little OTT, Stuart Ripley wasnt pacey but he could get round a man and his quickness over three yards was enough to deliver a ball into the box, whilst Formica has undeniable ability, watching last night, he took a good first touch, turned a man but couldnt get away from him and thats something a good coach could help him with, at the moment, he doesnt look difficult to play against, Goodwillies the same, I mentioned earlier, with his back to goal, turns with the ball on his right foot to the left, almost every time, he has got to vary his game if he is to really succeed, he will score goals if he has the opportunity, he strikes the ball extremely well and accurately. Another part of Goodwillies game last night was his ability in the air, it didnt look good at all, maybe it was an off night, but my guess is if he continues to take the ball and turn the same way, all defenders will suss him quickly.

Rochina for me is different quality, his movement, vision and touch is excellent, the only downside is a bit of showboating but his through ball for Goodwillies disallowed goal showed the vision he has and bad defending or not, his movement for the opening goal was excellent and I can tell you a certain red faced gent in Manchester is watching him closely after destroying his reserve team last year!!

Eddie, your bit about reading the game is quite correct but I feel it is easier as a defender or a midfielder playing the type of game Tugay played without pace or speed of the mark than a player trying to take players on and create an opening.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Published: Thursday, 25 August 2011

Carling Cup 2nd Round Match Report: Rovers 3 Sheffield Wednesday 1

by Parsonblue

If ever there was a game of two halves, this was it. The Rovers produced a scintillating first twenty minutes which began in sensational fashion with three superb goals being scored in the first seven minutes. However, the second half proved a drab affair with the Rovers slipping back into their sloppy passing routines and looking anything but comfortable against a Wednesday side that was a mixture of first teamers and reserves. Better opposition might well have taken advantage, but Wednesday looked a poor side and perhaps this took the edge off the performance of the Rovers in the second period.

Both managers opted to utilise their squads to the full for a match which was played in an eerily empty Ewood Park. An attendance of 8,607 illustrated the public's verdict on the early stages of a competition that has become almost farcical. When League One sides opt to rest first-teamers for forthcoming League games, it's little wonder that so many fans opt to give these games a wide berth.

Nonetheless, those who were there were treated to the most explosive opening seven minutes seen at Ewood Park for many a year. The visitors were caught completely cold as the Rovers opened the scoring after just three minutes. The architect of the goal was Brett Emerton in what, if reports are to be believed, may well be one of his last appearances for the Rovers. In a typical run from deep, Emerton, playing in the right-back spot, delivered an inch-perfect cross into the box for Ruben Rochina to nip in front of a defender and volley home from close range.

Within a minute the Rovers had doubled their lead and Rochina had notched his second goal. Goodwillie took advantage of a blocked clearance to find Rochina on the left of the penalty area. The former Barcelona "B" player wasted no time in cutting in and, from an acute angle, fired a low shot into the opposite corner of the net.

The deadly finishing continued in the seventh minute when David Goodwillie scored his first goal at Ewood Park. Emerton played the ball forward and once the Wednesday defence failed to clear, the Scottish international was on it in a flash. Moving into the Wednesday penalty area, he wasted no time in blasting the ball past O'Donnell to give the Rovers a three-goal lead.

It was a sensational start from the Rovers and they continued to turn the screw on a Wednesday side that looked completely bewildered by the speed and accuracy of the Rovers' passing and movement. Rochina and Mauro Formica combined on several occasions with some intricate passing, not to mention some flamboyant backheeled passes which completely bamboozled the Wednesday players. Steven Nzonzi was in dominant mood in the centre of midfield, winning tackles, retaining possession and then stroking the ball around with consummate ease. Radosav Petrovic, although not as involved as Nzonzi, kept the ball moving with a succession of passes, both long and short, which suggested the two might form an impressive partnership in the centre of the field.

By contrast, the visitors could hardly galvanize themselves as an attacking force. Many of their passes went astray and they looked completely out of sorts. Perhaps it's not surprising as Gary Megson opted to rest no fewer than eight of the side that began Saturday's game at Notts County. However, in fairness, you can only beat what is put in front of you and the Rovers did so in convincing fashion during that first forty-five minutes. Indeed, the Rovers might have had more rewards for their efforts but for some dubious decisions from the officials. Goodwillie had a goal ruled out for a tight offside decision while Martin Olsson appeared to be hauled back in the area when bursting towards goal, but the officials remained unmoved.

The Rovers replaced Grant Hanley for the second half with Jason Lowe. Hanley had received a head injury during the first half and Steve Kean opted to give Jason Lowe the opportunity to play in the unfamiliar role of centre-back. The second period proved to be a major anti-climax. Suddenly the crispness of the first-half passing disappeared as did the tempo of the Rovers play. The attack stuttered as Goodwillie found it difficult to get the better of centre-backs who had clearly had a few verbals from their manager at half-time. Formica and Rochina were closed down rather more quickly and, as a result, failed to make the same impact on the game. Passes suddenly started to go astray and the visitors began to haul themselves back into the game. While they never looked like pulling back the three-goal margin, they certainly started to give the Rovers more to think about defensively.

The half was only five minutes old when Wednesday managed to get on the scoresheet. Wednesday were awarded a free-kick deep in Rovers' territory and Chris Lines opted to take it quickly to Clinton Morrison, who spun on the shoulder of a defender and managed to fire the ball into the far corner of the net beyond Mark Bunn. It was a clever piece of opportunism by the Wednesday substitute.

In midfield the Rovers failed to enjoy the supremacy of the first half and Petrovic struggled to find his range, with many of his passes failing to reach a blue and white shirt. The former Partizan Belgrade midfield man also squandered the opportunity of restoring the three-goal lead when he blasted over from point-blank range.

The Rovers introduced David Dunn and Junior Hoilett to the fray, but neither could lift the sense of lethargy which seemed to have engulfed the team during the second half. Hoilett had one typically tricky run that almost brought a goal, but in truth there was little left to shout about. The Rovers might have been spluttering in the second half, but Wednesday simply didn't have the ability to cause any serious problems.

The highlight for the Rovers was undoubtedly the clinical finishing of Rochina. Emerton was solid at full-back and his performance underlined just how much his versatility will be missed if he returns to Australia. Nzonzi was excellent in midfield and Rochina and Formica linked well during the first forty-five minutes. However, the fade-out in the second half will be of concern to Steve Kean as he sits down to plot the downfall of Everton on Saturday. The fans can only hope that it's the Rovers of the first half who turn up to face the men from Goodison Park.

An ebullient Steve Kean described the performance as a “glimpse of the future” with the Rovers parading a whole host of young players who the manager hopes will take the club forward. Whilst there is no doubting the potential of some of those on view at Ewood Park, the fact remains that the Premier League is a tough learning school and second-half performances like the one against Wednesday will be severely punished. Nonetheless, the win was a welcome relief for those who had endured the opening two fixtures and the result will no doubt have brought the manager welcome breathing space. A win against Everton on Saturday and hopefully the Rovers can finally kick-start the 2011–12 season.

See the full report with details of line-ups, bookings, etc., on the front page here.

Front men will be judged on goals, simple as that,

Indeed they will..... which doesn't help when you are buying them in from other leagues does it? Judging people on goals is just a matter of employing hindsight and hindsight is virtually worthless.

Foresight is another thing entirely, foresight is a very scarce commodity and if I'm not being rude it's what you struggle with most Gaz I'm afraid. ;)

Indeed they will..... which doesn't help when you are buying them in from other leagues does it? Judging people on goals is just a matter of employing hindsight and hindsight is virtually worthless.

Foresight is another thing entirely, foresight is a very scarce commodity and if I'm not being rude it's what you struggle with most Gaz I'm afraid. ;)

I have enough foresight to see where this conversation is going :tu: and on that note "I'm out" over to you Hillary.

Watched the highlights last night. All our goals were great, really great. Couldn't imagine either Roberts of Kalinic scoring any of them, esp Goodwillies thumping effort. Reminded me of Shearer that one.

Good football Oz, but the defending for the first two goals was terrible.

I said on Wednesday that Goodwillie reminded of Shearer, but lets keep that one quiet, the expectation on the lad is already massive, lets not increase that expectation.

His turn and shot for the disallowed goals was terrific also.

Eddie, your bit about reading the game is quite correct but I feel it is easier as a defender or a midfielder playing the type of game Tugay played without pace or speed of the mark than a player trying to take players on and create an opening.

If he has no pace at all then he has to play in one of the 'holes': either in the Tugay role where he sits in front of the back four and dictates play and tries to pick passes, or behind the strikers where he tried to link play between the midfield and the strikers and find space. It seems that the latter is his natural position, so his lack of pace won't be a major hinderance if he has good control, can get rid of the ball quickly and, most importantly, has the positional sense to find the space that he will need.

If he has no pace at all then he has to play in one of the 'holes': either in the Tugay role where he sits in front of the back four and dictates play and tries to pick passes, or behind the strikers where he tried to link play between the midfield and the strikers and find space. It seems that the latter is his natural position, so his lack of pace won't be a major hinderance if he has good control, can get rid of the ball quickly and, most importantly, has the positional sense to find the space that he will need.

Totally agree but on Wednesday evening, Formica was taking a man on, had the ability to get round him but hadnt got either the pace or strength to get away from his opponent, probably a better word would be lack of accelleration

I said on Wednesday that Goodwillie reminded of Shearer, but lets keep that one quiet, the expectation on the lad is already massive, lets not increase that expectation.

His turn and shot for the disallowed goals was terrific also.

He reminds me more of Defoe when he's inside the box as his turning, movement and ability to get a shot away was excellent. He works hard and closes down well outside the box but never won a header when the ball was played up to him, didn't even jump most times and got dispossessed fairly easily. That's an observation and not a criticism as such. Darren Bent is fairly similar, as was Franny Jef ....

Archived