BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Thread (Poll reset after Stoke game)

Glenn

958 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean be sacked

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are unkind to Harford - my only feeling for him was one of sorrow - he was obviously way out of his comfort zone in front of the media. Ironically - he did improve towards the end. I won't criticize Harford - as he was an important (some say one of the most important) parts of the team that led us to the Premiership. Indeed - I think it was Harford that helped pursuade the club to shell out a club record fee for Shearer.

I couldn't agree more. Ray Harford was a genuinely decent guy who had an excellent managerial and coaching record. He only took the job after Kenny left as a favour to Jack. He was loyal to Jack and although he had said he would never manage where he had been the number two he agreed to do it. Early in the season in which he left, he offered to resign on more than one occasion but Jack wouldn't accept it until Ray finally insisted.

You really can't compare Ray with Kean. Ray was everything that Kean is not. Ray was a major figure in the coaching world and without him I doubt if we would have won the title or attracted the likes of Shearer. Ray had worked with Shearer at Under-21 level and Colin Hendry improved beyond recognition once Ray worked on his game. Ray has his own niche in the history of this great club - something which our present manager will never achieve.

Let me get this straight you think Harford the manager that signed Fenton, Donis, Matty Holmes, Coleman and Croft was the guy who pursuade Jack to sign Shearer........

......and not purely Kenny who sign Le Saux, Flowers, Sutton, Gallacher, Batty, Ripley, Berg and Sherwood.

These signings demonstrate the different in class and Shearer came because our manager was the nuts, Harford had as much pulling power as Kean.

Harford was a clown, never in the history of the premier league will someone else take a club from 1st to 20th in 18 months.

I still can;t believe how **** he was, its unbelieveable, I'm still angry about it, at least Kean didn't take over the best team in the country and destory it.

Harfords biggest mistake was he was loyal to the Champion winning team. He could have signed anybody when we won the league, but he wanted to give the players who won it the opportunity to crack Europe,

That was the curtains moment IMO, United ect have remained top of the tree by continuing to invest every summer even when they are Champions.

Worst moment of our Champions league campaign (when only champions could enter) was ITV Pulling the plug on showing our final fixture (embarrassing) However as many say, behind every good Manager is a good number 2, and Kenny and Ray as a double act were excellent,

Brian Clough had so much success cos he had Taylor as his right hand man.

What i'd do now to see Rovers have a deadly duo back in place

Let me get this straight you think Harford the manager that signed Fenton, Donis, Matty Holmes, Coleman and Croft was the guy who pursuade Jack to sign Shearer........

......and not purely Kenny who sign Le Saux, Flowers, Sutton, Gallacher, Batty, Ripley, Berg and Sherwood.

These signings demonstrate the different in class and Shearer came because our manager was the nuts, Harford had as much pulling power as Kean.

Harford was a clown, never in the history of the premier league will someone else take a club from 1st to 20th in 18 months.

I still can;t believe how **** he was, its unbelieveable, I'm still angry about it, at least Kean didn't take over the best team in the country and destory it.

The simple fact it that without Ray Harford the club would not have won the Premier League. Jack knew that fact. Kenny knew that fact and the majority of supporters knew it. Shearer has said on more than one occasion that he wanted to come to Blackburn to play for Kenny and learn from Ray who was his coach at England Under-21 level. When Ray took over, something he did reluctantly, he did so knowing that Jack was not going to put money into signings during the summer of 1995. When Jack changed his mind and made funds available the moment had passed with regard to the Rovers maintaining their position at the top of the League. However, despite a poor start to 1995-96, we only missed out on qualifying for Europe on the final day of the season on goal difference.

Ray's mistake was going back on his decision never to become the number one at a club where he had been the number two. He had done it before and vowed never to do it again. However, he was loyal to Jack and when Jack asked him to take over he wouldn't take no for an answer. Ray believed he ought to show loyalty to Jack and agreed to become manager. Even when he left, he had offered to resign on several occasions but Jack wouldn't accept it until Ray finally forced him to make a change.

Harford was hugely respected in the game before he came to Ewood Park. Ask any of the players from that period and they will tell you how he improved them. You're right in one respect. Kean is nothing like Harford in anyway whatsoever. More's the pity. Give me a Ray Harford over our present manager everyday of the week!

You really can't compare Ray with Kean. Ray was everything that Kean is not.

Well said that man. Spot on. Harford was a decent bloke. The step up from coach and being one of the lads to manager just didn't work, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he will have done everything with the best interests of the club at heart. Which is more than can be said etc etc

Robbie savage is a muppet, changes his mind every other day, likes rovers one minute, despises them the next, stopped following him on twitter because of it

He is a media puppet because that is where is corn is earned, he played his heart out for us and is now sticking up for us in the media when 95 % would love to slate us.

That is simply enough for me to class him as as one of the good guys, whoever can remain fair to everyone by sending global text messages would have to be a miracle worker.

It would be very hard for him to retain his status and get up the ladder in the Lahndan football underworld by admitting he has a soft spot for us, the footballing world has no time for small time northern clubs like us. Especially if you are a big southern softie pundit as most of them are.

The simple fact it that without Ray Harford the club would not have won the Premier League. Jack knew that fact.

I see whats going on here, you all forgive Harford for his shocking time in charge because "we would have never won the PL league"

BULL (guess the over word)

Harford is to Blackburn what Kidd was to Ferguson and he proved it, replaceable, expendable.

I'm not comparing Kean as a person to Harford, what is more embarrassing then taking over the Champions the best team in the UK and 18 later being 20th with no wins in 11 games losing to Stockport.

I'm just saying even Kean would have difficulty being that bad.

And Glen Harford was loyal to the championship side while losing Batty and destorying Suttons & Ripley's confidence, purchasing replacements like fenton and Matty Holmes. Although I like Flitcroft and McKinlay I don't it was the level expected.

There is no doubt, Harford was a living nightmare as manager.

Have a word with yourself. Harford was one of if not the best coaches in the country, and Dalglish said he wouldnt come to Rovers without him. He didnt make it at Rovers as a manager, but he was a top guy and played a massive part in developing the team from 2nd division play-off contenders to Premier League champions.

Have a word with yourself. Harford was one of if not the best coaches in the country, and Dalglish said he wouldnt come to Rovers without him. He didnt make it at Rovers as a manager, but he was a top guy and played a massive part in developing the team from 2nd division play-off contenders to Premier League champions.

Harford didn't make a Kenny a championship winning manager at Liverpool

Harford didn't make Shearer the best striker in Europe

Harford signed rubbish players, Kenny spotted league winning talent.

Players like Sherwood, Ripley, Sutton and Batty lost form under Harford.

Take off you blue and white glasses.

Bottom line, Harford was replaceable.

And this "best coach in the country" didn't go back to coaching and stuck at managerment in the lower leagues.

Highly in demand hay???

Walk? Will he f! Hes no morals

I tell you what you what Abbey for the first time I find myslef aggreeing with you 100%

I really dont like to look at people's bad side, I usually just focus on their good side and work on that but as for Kean I am really struggling, In his recent interview he was asked about the fans open letter and he responded by saying what a good relationship he had with the owners and how we should be patient.

In his mind of events he see's himself bigger than the fans as long as he remains on the owners good books (hence the monthly trips) I always blamed the trips on the owners being demanding but now im thinking they are his secret ass kissing missions .

he was asked about the fans and responded with how trusted he is with owners, that is not a manager of a football club.

• Backroom

Kean knows he's lost the fans - he didn't really have a lot of us from the beginning anyway. Personally I was willing to begrudgingly give him a chance but I never wanted him as our permanent manager.

The only way Kean will keep his job is by sucking up to the owners and keeping the players on his side, so this will be his focus. The fans mean nothing to him - he has so little respect for us that he accused a Rovers fan of spiking his drink in a bare-faced lie to try and worm out of drink-driving. Is it any wonder he doesn't care about an open letter?

Interesting whe he was asked how the fans wanting him out makes him feel he said "it doesn't make me feel bad at all" add in a little laugh.

Its not really a comment to be smug and/or laugh about, I don't see how is can;t take that serious or address it with a bit of emotion.

Maybe he is unsackable.

Strange bloke.

What a Clown.. The guy should work for government ... so ###### incompetent...

"I have a great relationship with the owners. I can understand the fans' frustration that we don't have points on the board right now, but if you speak with the fans and the way we are playing, I don't think we could have done too much more."

I think if you speak to the fans you will see that around 90% want you out.. and we could have done more.. like score

:rover: what posters on here have to remenber votes on here do not cover all rovers fans,many fans i know dislike this site.i reckon if you want kean out that much why not organise a boycott of the arsenal game,its on tv every can watch the game in the pub/home/friends house.and if the slumdogs see a 5k drop in attendance it might make them think :brfc::blush:

If we lose to Fulham it's game on for a protest. It will need to be a MASS protest before the arsenal game. People are too interested in rushing home after a game. It should be peaceful and attract all sections of our fanbase including parents and children.

I've had enough now. I wasn't a Kean supporter, but his smug arrogance in the latest interview has just tipped over the edge.

The man is clearly too arrogant to care what we think.

Sack, don't back!

Think we all know the answer to that one SG194. The only thing which might happen will be a spontaneous "Kean out" during a match. Otherwise it's just the same folk making the same noise.

All very tedious now.

And yet people on here don't realise that out of the 20,000 or so that go to Ewood every other week; a messageboard community IS a minority.

Which means the poll is pretty much pointless and proves shag all.

"so you're saying Rovers fans want him as our manager!!?"

Some do, yeh. But unless you have a mass petition on the gates at Ewood we'll never know who is right in their opinion.

Ps. Can we close this thread and start yet ANOTHER pointless poll? :rolleyes:

Not sure what you can draw from this either but the LT say that a YouGov survey has been carried out and 81% would like a new manager. No idea on the numbers who participated but its another source away from this site.

Also in the LT it states that Kean won't be travelling to Pune as much anymore, the owners will be attending more matches from now on (how awfully good of them) as they have bought a house in the area ( or maybe G Neville is putting them up). Maybe Mrs Desai is sick of listening to him as well?

Archived