BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers vs Leyton Orient

cn174

Well I'm still in a happy mood from this afternoon's game and so I thought I'd write a little preview for our next game in just 3 days (apologies if anyone signed up to do it, you can merge, delete it, or whatever).

Now I knew very little about Leyton Orient until my extensive Wikipedia research :) So here is little bit about them.

Their name

They've had many, they started life as Glyn Cricket Club in 1881 before becoming Eagle Cricket Club in 1886, Orient Football Club in 1888, Clapton Orient in 1898, Leyton Orient in 1945, Orient in 1966 before finally Leyton Orient again in 1987.

Their badge

Has also changed a lot, but their current version has 2 Wyverns on it which are apparently dragon descendants of Pterosaurs!

leytonorient.gif

Honours

Not many to be honest. They've been in the top flight for one season in 1961/62 under the management of Johnny Carey, who also managed Rovers twice.

Other than that Division Three Champions 1969-70 and Division Three South Winners 1955-56

Players

I can't think off the top of my head any players that have played for both Rovers and Orient (anyone?). Of their current squad I have only heard of Kevin Lisbie and Jamie Cureton.

0,,10439~9854720,00.jpg

A website lists their famous players as Joe Mayo, Arthur Sixpence (great name!), Peter Goddard, Joe Chimming and Peter Shilton.

Head to Head

We've played each other just 24 times with Rovers having 8 wins, Orient 4 wins and 12 draws. Our head to head form at Ewood is excellent going into this one with us winning the past four meetings (last one being in 81/82!) however Orient did beat us 1-0 in our one and only league cup meeting in 1974.

Current Form

We are obviously in great form (!) with two 'positive' results in a row, whereas Orient have had their worst start to the season for 30 years according to Football League Review. Our mate Shefki scored a cracker against them today. We beat Sheffield Wednesday comfortably in the last round whilst they've beaten Southend on pens and Bristol Rovers to reach this point.

Prediction

Rovers will win 3-0 so get your tickets here to see my prediction come true, they're only a tenner :brfc:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our paths haven't crossed much over recent years ... but one occasion I do remember was when Rover's player David Wagstaff was the first player in the professional game to receive the, then recently introduced (late 70's), red card in a game at Brisbane Rd that Rovers went on to win!

being on the back of 2 wins and a draw in our last four games, I'd imagine this is another chance for the new players Rochina, Formica, Petrovic, Goodwillie to are slightly under par (some more then others) to build their confidence more.

Hopefully they are all fit.

I'll never forgive them for May 1987!

:(

I have to admit I have forgiven them for that day

what happeend?

being on the back of 2 wins and a draw in our last four games, I'd imagine this is another chance for the new players Rochina, Formica, Petrovic, Goodwillie to are slightly under par (some more then others) to build their confidence more.

Hopefully they are all fit.

I have to admit I have forgiven them for that day

what happeend?

They should have sent burnley into oblivion but they messed it up :blink:

Was that the day the rumour spread around boundary park they'd dropped?

That was the one. I remember coming out of the Rochdale Rd End after watching our lot get a hiding on the plastic, and somebody shouted that Orient had won ... for three glorious minutes we jumped around like mad things thinking they had dropped the Dingles. Oh well, nearly.

I hope we have the right mix of new players, old heads and young guns for this one.

Lowe need to play again after saturday - BUT id play him in midfield, only so we get a chance to see Ribiero at right back. Id keep Dann in the team also as he hasnt had too much football in the last 6 months, same goes for the YAK and it wont do them any harm for fitness.

Grella if fit should get a chance, alongside Lowe in midfield, with Olsson on the left wing.

Id go with something like this -

------------------Bunn---------------

--Ribiero----Dann-----Givet----Henley

--Vukcevic---Lowe-----Grella---Olsson

---------Goodwillie---YAK-------------

IF Goodwillie isnt fit, i would give Roberts a chance alongside the YAK!

I hope we have the right mix of new players, old heads and young guns for this one.

Lowe need to play again after saturday - BUT id play him in midfield, only so we get a chance to see Ribiero at right back. Id keep Dann in the team also as he hasnt had too much football in the last 6 months, same goes for the YAK and it wont do them any harm for fitness.

Grella if fit should get a chance, alongside Lowe in midfield, with Olsson on the left wing.

Id go with something like this -

------------------Bunn---------------

--Ribiero----Dann-----Givet----Henley

--Vukcevic---Lowe-----Grella---Olsson

---------Goodwillie---YAK-------------

IF Goodwillie isnt fit, i would give Roberts a chance alongside the YAK!

I would go with Slew and Goodie :)

• Backroom

How many of the mouthy fickle non protesters will be on tommorow ?

Well I'll be there and didn't protest.

I imagine sub 10,000 again As Orient hadn't sold many last week

Archived