BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean exclusive: We deserve to be in top 10 says under-fire Blackburn boss

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to hear that the owners understand and are aware that he is doing a good job - wonder if he is still receiving hand written letters from fans waxing lyrical about how young the team is and our Barca esque style of play.

There's a couple of articles on the SS website, one even quoting Kean saying he chose to put contract talks on hold until we're in a more suitable position :rolleyes:

I don't remember them promising they'd put a right dick in charge.

What about the bit that says they enjoy coming over, being at the stadium and meeting the players? How many times have they done that recently?!

You get largely what you deserve. If you can't score from 2 penalties you don't deserve to win.

I agree that missing penalties is not bad luck. Equally though the penalty misses weren't Kean's fault. Furthermore, we did enough in that game (aside from the penalties) to win it.

If you make bad subs it is always likely you can throw away a 2 goal lead.

This is a perfect example of people finding reasons to criticise and blame things on Kean. After some games, Kean has been criticised for not using his subs. When he does use his subs, they are identified as being the cause of us conceding two goals (a massive deflection and a ridiculous penalty).

If you have a manager who can't organize a team to defend you are going to concede lots of goals.

I whole-heartedly agree that our defending so far this season has been shambolic and the blame has to be placed to a large extent at Kean's door. My point, however, is that despite our terrible defending and the number of goals we have conceded, our attacking play in most games has been good enough to earn the 15 points identified in my original post.

If you have Roberts up front on his own you won't score many.

I'm sure teams above us (and the one below us) also have hard luck stories.

I'm sure they have but Rovers is the only team I watch consistently and so I can only comment on their games.

United "deserved" to win at Upton Park in 95 so did we not "deserve" to finish second?

When calculating that we probably deserve to have 15 points at the current time, I looked at every league game played so far this season. Your example is a poor one as it refers to one game and fails to take into account, for example, the ridiculous decisions that went against us in our two games againt United that season (e.g. Sherwood disallowed goal and Berg sending off).

Games are decided by goals and the table is based on points gained. That's the measure. Not perceived bad luck.

I agree that wherever you finish at the end of a season, you deserve to finish. That is because, for the most part, everyone's luck will even itself out over almost 40 games. But it is certainly possible to have bad luck over a shorter period of time and I believe that we have suffered such bad luck over the first 11 games.

The problem on this site is that nobody can say anything which might in any way be construed as being supportive of Kean without getting shouted down. I am far from happy with Kean. I think that our defending has been appalling since he took over. I hate some of the inane and/or overly positive statements he makes in the press.

At the same time though, I am not so blinkered as to blame absolutely every little thing on him. If it was Sam currently in charge, I can guarantee that he would not have been pilloried on this site for throwing away a two goal lead at Norwich as a result of his substitutions (no doubt people will reply to this saying that Sam wouldn't have made any substitutions).

The problem on this site is that nobody can say anything which might in any way be construed as being supportive of Kean without getting shouted down. I am far from happy with Kean. I think that our defending has been appalling since he took over. I hate some of the inane and/or overly positive statements he makes in the press.

At the same time though, I am not so blinkered as to blame absolutely every little thing on him. If it was Sam currently in charge, I can guarantee that he would not have been pilloried on this site for throwing away a two goal lead at Norwich as a result of his substitutions (no doubt people will reply to this saying that Sam wouldn't have made any substitutions).

I disagree. He'd have been slated.

Sam got booed for beating Wolves 3-0.

It's because they don't agree. They don't agree because he's a terrible manager. A manager is judged on the points on the league table, not whether there wasn't enough dew on the grass or the amount of times we entered the other teams penalty box.

Sorry but that's absolute tosh. Kean's substitutions were suicidal and not ones that a seasoned manager would have made at that stage. But if SA had made those subs, he'd have been similarly pilloried. Perhaps not as much because his record was nowhere near as bad as Keans.

Sam got booed for beating Wolves 3-0.

I was talking about people's views on this messageboard. He did not get slated on here for the result or his approach in that game.

I disagree. He'd have been slated.

Sorry but that's absolute tosh. Kean's substitutions were suicidal and not ones that a seasoned manager would have made at that stage. But if SA had made those subs, he'd have been similarly pilloried. Perhaps not as much because his record was nowhere near as bad as Keans.

We will have to agree to disgree on this one.

"Anything I have ever asked for in any transfer window has always been delivered"

So what Kean is admitting is that he failed to identify the weaknesses and limitations within the squad during the lengthy transfer window?

Lowe should never have had to play at RB, Hanley should be nowhere near the first team at this stage in his development and we have no first-choice striker.

People like Nixon shift the blame away from Kean, onto Venky's by saying that Kean wasn't backed in the window - well if Kean is saying that he got everything he asked for in the window, that leaves the blame very much with Kean.

Also, excellent point earlier in the thread on 'we deserved more' - if you got what you 'deserved', then United would have nicked the title from us on the last day of the season.

Wow, just wow.

This is the problem;

“What they see now is that myself, the rest of the staff and the players are so together. There are no cracks. We’ll get through this little period, as we did last season, and we’ll be stronger and better for it.

He actually thinks we turned it around last season? What the **** is he on, because i'd love some of it.

I can't believe you all keep falling for this. IMO Kean keeps saying these things to attract the ire of the fans and insulate the players from any of it. I think this is one of the reasons the players seem to have stuck by Kean. When we chucked away a 2 goal lead in the last few minutes against City it was Derbyshire who caught the flack, not least from Sam himself. N'Zonzi however, appears to be blameless for flapping his arms around claiming for a free kick while the ball is up in the air in the penalty area.

I can't believe you all keep falling for this. IMO Kean keeps saying these things to attract the ire of the fans and insulate the players from any of it. I think this is one of the reasons the players seem to have stuck by Kean. When we chucked away a 2 goal lead in the last few minutes against City it was Derbyshire who caught the flack, not least from Sam himself. N'Zonzi however, appears to be blameless for flapping his arms around claiming for a free kick while the ball is up in the air in the penalty area.

No, he does it for the 'positive' owners. Listen to a Venkatash interview and it is pretty clear that he cottoned on what guff to spout to please them pretty quickly.

Just like a good first team coach?

Sorry I don't know what point you are trying to make, he talks complete nonsense pre and post match - so the players, in your view, have stuck by him - how come we have not picked up more wins then?

Archived