BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holidays

Going to Brussels for a break in late August/early September, anyone been? Anything to recommend whilst I'm there?

I stayed in Brussels for Euro 2000, it was like a war zone but good fun.

Don’t remember to much about it a part from petrol bombs, riot police and locals with machetes after the police made the England fans get off the train at Brussels south station then left us to it, the locals were ready but soon got chased off once the survival instincts kicked in, complete setup by the police, it was after England beat Germany in Charleroi! Shearer Shearer!

But I'm sure you'll be fine K-Hod :tu:

Not very helpful that is it :lol:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a change this July and going on holiday in England. All the way down to St Ives and the Scilly Isles. Going to Tenerife in September though. Not risking the British weather twice.

Going to Brussels for a break in late August/early September, anyone been? Anything to recommend whilst I'm there?

Belgiums largers/pilsners best in the world i think and belgium itself is a very underated part of europe, lots of little picturesque medieval market towns, although ive only had short stays there whilst driving through in the van to germany, Im not sure about the city of brussles itself though sorry.

Very flat land as well, great place to just hire a bike and take of for the day i imagine.

• Moderation Lead

Thanks TJ.I think we're looking at getting the train to Amsterdam for the day (both been before) as well, just going to have a look around anyway, sure there will be plenty to do, even if it's just in the pub and restaurants! :rover:

Been to Bruges, it maybe worth going there for a day instead if you haven't been before. It's a charming city with plenty of things to do. What I found in Bruges was that restaurants are usually so full they rarely accept walk ins, so booking is a must. Don't know if that is the same across the board when it comes to Belgium, thought it was worth mentioning. We only spent a couple of hours walking round Brussels before our train to the airport though so can't tell you much about the place, however it's definitely on our list of city breaks.

• Moderation Lead

Been to Bruges, it maybe worth going there for a day instead if you haven't been before. It's a charming city with plenty of things to do. What I found in Bruges was that restaurants are usually so full they rarely accept walk ins, so booking is a must. Don't know if that is the same across the board when it comes to Belgium, thought it was worth mentioning. We only spent a couple of hours walking round Brussels before our train to the airport though so can't tell you much about the place, however it's definitely on our list of city breaks.

Ah right, yeah my parents, and my girlfriend's parents have been to Bruges a few times and recommended it! I'm going with a mutual mate of ours actually so I'm sure I can twist his arm!!

Ah right, yeah my parents, and my girlfriend's parents have been to Bruges a few times and recommended it! I'm going with a mutual mate of ours actually so I'm sure I can twist his arm!!

Well he's as easy going as they come so I shouldn't imagine it would be too difficult.

Presumably this abomination will sound the death knell for holiday resorts across North Africa and Turkey? Who tf will book to holiday in an islamic country now? On the plus side it will prob help resorts in eu countries to balance their books.

• Backroom

We looked at Turkey and Egypt this year but ended up in Kos for that very reason.

I've been to and enjoyed Egypt before but won't be going again.

We ended up going Agadir in Morocco in January and had a great time. The main reason was it was all inclusive in a genuine 5 star hotel on a luxurious complex of sub-£500pp. Obviously the current situation in North Africa was the cause of this, but gave us the opportunity of an experience we wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford.We knew the risk but it seemed a great deal so we took it and had a great holiday. I did however spend a long time before deciding to go weighing up the risks and, having now had that experience, would probably be back in Europe next year.

Europe or Caribbean for me. Just been to Lisbon, beautiful city, love to go back sometime. One Euro is currently worth 71p and with a large beer being just over 3 euros it's as cheap as chips. Hundreds of street cafes giving excellent value as well. Highly recommended.

I have never gone on holiday to a Muslim country. Not worth the risk.

Depends on if it's a strict Muslim country or a moderate one. Went to the Maldives on honeymoon (which is a moderate Muslim country) and was absolutely amazing, not a hint of their religion being forced upon you. Don't judge every Muslim country by the actions of a few idiots using religion as an excuse to murder people.

I've been to Morocco (forbidden from drinking alcohol in the open air), Egypt's Benidorm (the horrible, chavvy and filthy) Sharm El Sheik and also Turkey (which unbeknown to me had a £10 and surely illegal stealth tax for each family member at the airport). Every hour or two in all these places there's a dreadful caterwauling from the top of some minaret to endure too. I know it's just their customs based on their religion and when in Rome applies and I've no right to complain but the three experiences proved to me that they are not nice places to visit and that Europe has far more civilised, classy and rewarding destinations to offer. Oh! And it is the same sun too! ^_^

I've been to Morocco (forbidden from drinking alcohol in the open air), Egypt's Benidorm (the horrible, chavvy and filthy) Sharm El Sheik and also Turkey (which unbeknown to me had a £10 and surely illegal stealth tax for each family member at the airport). Every hour or two in all these places there's a dreadful caterwauling from the top of some minaret to endure too. I know it's just their customs based on their religion and when in Rome applies and I've no right to complain but the three experiences proved to me that they are not nice places to visit and that Europe has far more civilised, classy and rewarding destinations to offer. Oh! And it is the same sun too! ^_^

Morocco forbidden from drinking in the open air? How long ago was that? I spent 2 weeks @#/? there 12 months ago, so I wouldn't say thats currently the case!

Depends on if it's a strict Muslim country or a moderate one. Went to the Maldives on honeymoon (which is a moderate Muslim country) and was absolutely amazing, not a hint of their religion being forced upon you. Don't judge every Muslim country by the actions of a few idiots using religion as an excuse to murder people.

I fully take your point Reidy but there are a lot of superb holiday places to go without taking the risk, however small. If it ruins the tourist trade in their country they only have themselves to blame. There is all the rest of the world to see without North Africa.

Presumably this abomination will sound the death knell for holiday resorts across North Africa and Turkey? Who tf will book to holiday in an islamic country now? On the plus side it will prob help resorts in eu countries to balance their books.

I have been to Morocco (High Atlas and Anti Atlas Mountains etc) and Turkey many times; I would not dream of going back to North Africa nor Turkey ever again. I privately hear that UK security advice is that holiday makers must be bonkers going to Tunisa.

Morocco forbidden from drinking in the open air? How long ago was that? I spent 2 weeks @#/? there 12 months ago, so I wouldn't say thats currently the case!

Street cafe's and bars in Marrakech we had to go inside to drink alcoholic drinks. Coffee, soft drinks, mint tea, ice creams etc was fine to sit out. Presumably the idea is to keep it out of sight of the locals.

Archived