BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Man United Preview and Match Thread

Ozz

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are you saying that in a way it feels like strangers from a foreign land have invaded, changed everything and knocked down the walls that once protected us from evil?

More like Trojans...

More like Trojans...

So is that a yes then? (trojans certainly were invaders and shafted their conquered knocking down one hell of a lot more than their walls)

Don't worry Maj. Kean says that if we play like that again for 90 mins, then the points we'll get will be "more than enough".

Happy-Days-Lawsuit.jpg

I guess that all depends on what the goal is?

MYTHBUSTER - MGP covers the winger and helps the full back.

No he doesn't. He's too slow that Evra and whoever else was on that wing danced round him every time - very similar to Odemwingie walking past him this season to score. That's why Orr ended up giving him a bollocking after only about 15 minutes. Didn't do much good as it continued all half.

If MGP couldn't throw the ball a long way he wouldn't be in the side - which sums it all up really.

(edit - obviously whether he would actually be in the side depends on the terms of his contract re bonuses etc... and how vociforous he is in the dressing room).

Careful now. Valid criticisms like that will be branded 'scapegoating'.

As for the Valencia goal - any shot hit that hard whilst running at goal from just 16-14 yards is always going to be near impossible to save.

Not from that angle. Valencia only had a narrow target. Robinson had covered the near post well but his reaction was definitely slow.

Scholes is a great player, but if you think a top coach wouldnt be able to stop that ball continually played to Valencia, then Park football is your game not mine, you push Scholes onto the other side and make him play the ball the other way or backwards, if a player cant do that, thay are a million miles away from being a Premiership Footballer.

The reason we didnt pick Scholes up is that we were defending too deep and Scholes was dropping off, he had enough time on the ball to pump the bloody thing up, our ball retention on the other hand, was in my opinion amatuerish and that is an insult to some of the fine semi pro players around the leagues!

Kelbo, I think we can meet in the middle. I agree that we gave them the freedom of the park, in which Scholes could pick out passes at will. However, I still maintain that Scholes can do that even with someone much closer to him.

i agree, scholes is a great player but he doesnt have that zip anymore, the scholes of old, facing our goal would have thundered a shot in from outside the area, he never tried a shot once at our goal, this shows to me his legs may have gone a bit which also shows that if someone had closed him down more he wouldnt have been able to play passes so freely, carrick was another one who was able to move the ball about without being challenged, too many of them were allowed the freedom of the pitch and thats down to rovers backing off time and time again!!

We were playing the best team in the league who put in one of the best performances of their season. And they still couldn't score until 10 minutes from the end of the game. On top of that we forced 2 great saves from their keeper, missed a very good chance and were half a yard from scoring a great goal. I really don't think the team or manager deserves criticism on the basis of this match. Apart from Pedersen of course, wonder if Andrews will have any words of encouragement for him on saturday. The previous target of the pathetic scapegoaters, least they learned from it eh? :glare:

• Backroom

We were playing the best team in the league who put in one of the best performances of their season.

I strongly disagree with this. Other than Gary Neville I haven't heard anybody say it was one of United's best performances and I was certainly not impressed with them. Their sole game plan seemed to be punt it out wide to Valencia and see what he can do. Eventually it worked, but only because we tired towards the end and Kean was unwilling/unable to make substitutions. If United were playing at their best De Gea would not have had to make excellent saves to keep them in the game three times and it would not have taken them until the 80th minute to score - simply because we weren't anything special either.

I strongly disagree with this. Other than Gary Neville I haven't heard anybody say it was one of United's best performances and I was certainly not impressed with them. Their sole game plan seemed to be punt it out wide to Valencia and see what he can do. Eventually it worked, but only because we tired towards the end and Kean was unwilling/unable to make substitutions. If United were playing at their best De Gea would not have had to make excellent saves to keep them in the game three times and it would not have taken them until the 80th minute to score - simply because we weren't anything special either.

Have you asked any Man U fans? Cause it doesn't really surprise me given the traditional attitude of our support that when we contain teams of far higher quality its because they played badly rather than because we played well.

Have you asked any Man U fans? Cause it doesn't really surprise me given the traditional attitude of our support that when we contain teams of far higher quality its because they played badly rather than because we played well.

I work in Manchester, the office is full of Utd fans. Many went to the game. They all said Utd played crap.

I can't remember Fergy spending as much time in the technical area either, he obviously wasn't happy with how they were playing.

• Backroom

I work in Manchester, the office is full of Utd fans. Many went to the game. They all said Utd played crap.

Don't work in Manchester but know a few Utd fans and similarly not one has praised us on playing well - they've all rightly said they played poorly until the last 10 mins or so when they stepped it up a bit.

Not from that angle. Valencia only had a narrow target. Robinson had covered the near post well but his reaction was definitely slow.

The point is that it was not meant as a shot. It was a cross. I was right behind Valencia and he was as surprised as anybody when it went in. Robbo had no chance. Criticise him for his positioning if you wish, although I would not, but not for his failure to react in time.

You could argue we frustrated United IF we were pressing high up the pitch and making life difficult for them. However, we were content to sit back and afford them acres of space to work the ball. They were simply having an off day, and a well drilled Rovers would have taken advantage of that.

We were playing the best team in the league who put in one of the best performances of their season. And they still couldn't score until 10 minutes from the end of the game. On top of that we forced 2 great saves from their keeper, missed a very good chance and were half a yard from scoring a great goal. I really don't think the team or manager deserves criticism on the basis of this match. Apart from Pedersen of course, wonder if Andrews will have any words of encouragement for him on saturday. The previous target of the pathetic scapegoaters, least they learned from it eh? :glare:

I know what you are saying but United were comparatively poor compared to other years. That is the worst United team I can remember coming to Ewood for ages! We were not that good, as the possession stats show we just huffed and puffed and they failed to score early.

Forgetting Giggs / Scholes only 2 or 3 of that team would get in the United team of a decade or even 5 years ago. Rafael, Carrick, Wellbeck, Evans, De Gea, Hernandez, Jones etc are 2nd rate United players at best. Robbo had so little to do first half he was doing crosswords!

I think I am correct in saying they had only beaten us 2 or 3 times in the last 11 or 12 at Ewood which suggests they have historically found it a tough place to come.

Personally speaking I left this match disappointed and with the feeling we had not given everything in search of a win, but recognised we tried hard not to lose.

Unfortunately, the last 30 games or so have left us in a real mess and however tough a task it was, we needed to get some points against Man United at home as the league table reminds us all this morning. Attacking substitutions would be pleasing when we go 1-0 down at least!!!!!

I know what you are saying but United were comparatively poor compared to other years. That is the worst United team I can remember coming to Ewood for ages! We were not that good, as the possession stats show we just huffed and puffed and they failed to score early.

Forgetting Giggs / Scholes only 2 or 3 of that team would get in the United team of a decade or even 5 years ago. Rafael, Carrick, Wellbeck, Evans, De Gea, Hernandez, Jones etc are 2nd rate United players at best. Robbo had so little to do first half he was doing crosswords!

I think I am correct in saying they had only beaten us 2 or 3 times in the last 11 or 12 at Ewood which suggests they have historically found it a tough place to come.

Personally speaking I left this match disappointed and with the feeling we had not given everything in search of a win, but recognised we tried hard not to lose.

Unfortunately, the last 30 games or so have left us in a real mess and however tough a task it was, we needed to get some points against Man United at home as the league table reminds us all this morning. Attacking substitutions would be pleasing when we go 1-0 down at least!!!!!

The players are poor by Man U standards, but is the team poor? 76 points from 31 games indicates Man U will finish on 93 points if they continue at their current rate (and they're actually getting better), if that isn't the record in a 38 game season then it must be very close. I'd argue that as a unit and in terms of teamwork and players gelling and complementing each other, this is a good United side.

The media love stuff like past records at certain grounds but does it really mean anything? I'm not sure how, its just coincidence that stats like that pop up occasionally. I seem to remember them always beating us at Ewood in the 90s. I agree its disappointing but compare it to the Man City capitulation earlier in the season and we lasted about half an hour longer and conceeded half as many goals.

I reckon don't worry about it and lets get stuck into West Brom on saturday.

We are playing with two 'luxury/lazy' players up front. Yak isn't the type to chase round too much and Junior pays lip service to closing down and chasing back. Against Utd that left us with 4 v 5 in midfield, therefore, forcing our midfield to play closer to the back 4.

This also meant our midfield were having to work that much harder then their midfield.

Our midfield defended 10yds outside the box with the defence sitting on the edge of the box.

We set up to play in our half with the odd break and that's how it played out.

IMO we are a better team when we play 4-5-1 against the better teams, not 4-4-1-1.

I work in Manchester, the oDffice is full of Utd fans. Many went to the game. They all said Utd played crap.

I can't remember Fergy spending as much time in the technical area either, he obviously wasn't happy with how they were playing.

at one point red nose was flapping his arms at utd fans to gee them up.

Archived