BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Man United Preview and Match Thread

Ozz

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is strange that for a team that you found so tactically inept - we managed to create the better chances for much of the match - and limit their clear cut chances. Even Fergie alluded to the fact that they found it difficult to break us down.

Player for player our team isn't as good as theirs - and yet we gave them a real scare, and with a little more luck (i.e. them scoring from a cross) we may have got a precious point - and possibly more if one of our chances had gone in.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. If we'd put in a real dogged thou shalt not pass performance and fought tooth and nail for every ball and gone down narrowly I might have agreed. We were extremely flattered by the fact that United were very indifferent on the night despite the almost complete lack of competition for the ball and the fact that they somehow didn't manage to break the deadlock until relatively late on which didn't reflect the balance of play at all.

I feel we've lost all momentum after a non show at Bolton and tonight's "Let's keep the scoreline down" attitude and I can't see how we're going to get it back.

Never really certain why MGP gets the stick he does - wasn't his best match - but was far from his worst.

He was an absolute disgrace in the first half, wandering around aimlessly with no effort or pretence whatsoever at trying to pick anyone up. I always think fans can forgive most things but not lack of effort.

Second half I thought he played quite a bit better.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. If we'd put in a real dogged thou shalt not pass performance and fought tooth and nail for every ball and gone down narrowly I might have agreed. We were extremely flattered by the fact that United were very indifferent on the night despite the almost complete lack of competition for the ball and the fact that they somehow didn't manage to break the deadlock until relatively late on which didn't reflect the balance of play at all.

I feel we've lost all momentum after a non show at Bolton and tonight's "Let's keep the scoreline down" attitude and I can't see how we're going to get it back.

And yet Gary Neville described it as one of their best recent performances - where all their players were up for it from the start.

he would do, the sun shines out of united's arse according to him, hes just being sycophantic, im pretty sure he doesnt really beleive it, it was a proffesional performance by utd but they didnt really have to turn up as there was only one team on the pitch today trying to play

• Backroom

The disallowed goal was a nice 'Pedersen of old' strike, shame it didn't count.

Otherwise I don't remember him doing much. I think I remember us having a free kick in the second half and despite United only having one player blocking the path into the box Pedersen hit that player.

Gary Neville's praise for United baffled me a little. I didn't think they were great - they had a lot of possession and we allowed them to attack us but they never really looked threatening. Our defending was solid enough, United were just creatively poor.

What irritated me about today's match was not the effort put in by the players but the inability to keep possession of the ball for any decent amount of time. I lost count of the amount of times a United player robbed one of our players (usually Lowe, also Marcus Olsson) of the ball... and as for the amount of times we got the ball back and then proceeded to hoof it up to the Man Utd defenders....

Ball retention is something we've struggled with all season, though. We're awful at keeping possession and it costs us week after week.

And yet Gary Neville described it as one of their best recent performances - where all their players were up for it from the start.

That does surprise me. I didn't think United looked anytyhing out of the ordinary at all and it is easy to look better when you're allowed to knock the ball around under no pressure.

The disallowed goal was a nice 'Pedersen of old' strike, shame it didn't count.

Otherwise I don't remember him doing much. I think I remember us having a free kick in the second half and despite United only having one player blocking the path into the box Pedersen hit that player.

Gary Neville's praise for United baffled me a little. I didn't think they were great - they had a lot of possession and we allowed them to attack us but they never really looked threatening. Our defending was solid enough, United were just creatively poor.

What irritated me about today's match was not the effort put in by the players but the inability to keep possession of the ball for any decent amount of time. I lost count of the amount of times a United player robbed one of our players (usually Lowe, also Marcus Olsson) of the ball... and as for the amount of times we got the ball back and then proceeded to hoof it up to the Man Utd defenders....

Ball retention is something we've struggled with all season, though. We're awful at keeping possession and it costs us week after week.

I agree that our ball retention is nowhere near good enough - but this is where you had to give credit to United - most of the time we attempted to break out there would be two or three players closing down ours. United's work rate is often overlooked.

Appalling management.

It was clear with 20 minutes to go that some of the lads were really struggling, which is p1ss poor in itself considering we hadn't played for 9 days, and no sub's made.

What made matters even worse is that when we went a goal behind, we still had virtually 9 or 10 men back - an absolute joke.

Marcuss Olsson - I've said it before and I'll say it again, why the feck is he in the team as he brings virtually nothing to the party. United sussed him out easily, show him inside and he's lost as he has no right foot and he he thinks that he's quick then he's even more deluded than Kean !

Beggars belief - a club in real dire straits and heading one way.

Marcuss Olsson - I've said it before and I'll say it again, why the feck is he in the team as he brings virtually nothing to the party. United sussed him out easily, show him inside and he's lost as he has no right foot and he he thinks that he's quick then he's even more deluded than Kean !

Agreed, he is a shocker. We could've just taken him off and left some fresh air in his place, wouldnt have made a difference!

Because we gave them time and space

We gave them time and space in areas that they couldn't hurt us.

Sorry I take it all back - we should have attacked them - closed them down with our brilliant midfield - while they played it around us leaving our defence totally exposed. Yes definitely the way to go.

Sorry I take it all back - we should have attacked them - closed them down with our brilliant midfield - while they played it around us leaving our defence totally exposed. Yes definitely the way to go.

At least you've seen the light now

as opposed to losing?

for me nothing good come from this match tonight. it epitomised why i really dont want to renew next season. im sick of watching a team that is badly managed. i cant fault the players efforts but tactically they look clueless and so unfit. its awful watching a team run by somebody i am beginning to hate and for me thats a strong word. it was clear for everyone to see that changes need to be made but as usual nothing was done. if formica isnt on the pitch then nobody will be subbed. its the same every game but all kean wants to do is stand in his technical area and wave his arms around trying to encourage the team.

i know we were playing the potential champions and i wasnt expecting much from the match but having this guy in charge just makes things worse.

Appalling management.

It was clear with 20 minutes to go that some of the lads were really struggling, which is p1ss poor in itself considering we hadn't played for 9 days, and no sub's made.

What made matters even worse is that when we went a goal behind, we still had virtually 9 or 10 men back - an absolute joke.

Beggars belief - a club in real dire straits and heading one way.

If there was a question about whether there was a restriction on the amount of subs used, I think tonight was further evidence of this. As you say, when we go 1-0 down, with 10 minutes to go, nothing is changed. We have a couple of attacking options on the bench and they are just left there. It's a disgrace that the owners are willing to forfeit points, because they would rather not pay appearance fees to players who could make a difference if they are brought on.

As for Marcus Olsson, I too struggle to see what he adds to the team. To have signed in January after being released in January from some lower league Swedish team and to have played the amount of games he has, the way he has, is very suspicious and frustrating. As someone else points out, it's cause he's cheap.

Archived