BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Was yesterday the start of The Great Escape?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of an obvious thread!

Of course we hope we can pull off a great escape but yesterday we just did enough against a poor team, and that Qpr result is not what we wanted, but the way Qpr played compared to us was world apart.

Qpr were on levels of fight and spirit that I only saw from Givet.

The odds are against us, im sure we would all like to see us survive but right now we are one of the favourites to go down its in our own hands but the problem is KEAN so its hard to sway to a positive outcome from this.

We have reached the stage where we need others to do the job for us. Wigan will beat Wolves on the final day to give them at least 37 points. Even if QPR only pick up one more point our inferior goal difference means we will need to find five points from the final three matches. I suspect that Bolton may also struggle to pass either Wigan or QPR. Sadly, those early season defeats against Wolves and Everton at Ewood and the dropping of six points to both Bolton and WBA is going to come back to bite us. However, in truth, I don't believe we actually deserve to survive. Every decision that Venky's have made has been detrimental to the club and ultimately if you keep making the wrong decisions in any business it's only going to have one outcome.

No. Without wanting to sound mean the change in tone among some our support because we won yesterday is as short-sighted as it gets. From the position of disadvantage that Rovers have put themselves in, the crucial factor is how QPR and Wigan get on. QPR beat Spurs which was an absolutely disastrous result for us and more than suggests they're capable of beating Stoke in 2 weeks. Wigan have Newcastle and Wolves at home, 3-6 points guaranteed. We're worse off than we were pre-Norwich, it'll take a miracle now.

Bit of an obvious thread!

Of course we hope we can pull off a great escape but yesterday we just did enough against a poor team, and that Qpr result is not what we wanted, but the way Qpr played compared to us was world apart.

Qpr were on levels of fight and spirit that I only saw from Givet.

The odds are against us, im sure we would all like to see us survive but right now we are one of the favourites to go down its in our own hands but the problem is KEAN so its hard to sway to a positive outcome from this.

Its not in our own hands now, that is the problem

Only way out now is for the Venkies to grease palms and the Glasgow mafia to swing into action

If yesterday was the start of The Great Escape (and I very much doubt it)it will only delay the inevitable. If we don't get relegated this season it will be next. Our owners have no interest and are not prepared to invest and we have a manager totally out of his depth. I have been following the Rovers since the late sixties but am in a dilemma on whether to renew next season if Venkys and Kean are still involved. Every supporter needs hope, but there is none with these clowns in charge.

Can't see Wigan beating Newcastle i have to say. I think we'll suprise Spurs, then only end up drawing with Wigan, but who knows i still think there will be plenty of twists left in the next 3 weeks.

We can only hope Chelsea pull off a minor miracle and progress to the Champions League final and don't give a rats behind about our game. Next weeks game could go either way depending on how spurs are feeling, have we ever beat spurs with Robbo in goal? But wigan is the make or break game, we lose we go down simple, we win we give ourselves a fighting chance.

not a cat in hell's chance, we need 2 more wins, chelsea and spurs are pushing hard for a champions league place and i can see that fight going down to the last day of the season, we were mediocre yesterday, nothing more, norwich are just a poor side, we blew it months ago when they didnt sack coco, yesterday was just a delaying of the inevitable, even the most optimistic must surely now realise its game over. I can see bolton getting a couple of points from their games in hand which will make it even more difficult.

Is there anybody out there that thinks yesterday was the start of the Great Escape?

I don't want to sound like Chrome Dome himself but...

Spurs - Spurs are 15th in the form table with 6 points from 6 games (shame we are 18th in the same table with 3 points from 6 games). More than this though, surely we must back ourselves against a team that has just rolled over for two teams in Norwich and QPR that we have been better than every time we have played them this season.

Wigan - I can't remember us not beating Wigan at home - I have just checked and we have beat them the last 5 times we have played them in The Premiership at Ewood Park. No disrespect to Wigan but it's one of them games that if we don't win then we deserve to get relegated.

Chelsea - It's all about how much the game means to Chelsea. If they can't climb up or down the league and the game is sandwiched between the FA Cup Final and Champions League Final then the game becomes a totally different proposition.

Snookers required once Venkys let the January window close and only spent £2.50 despite having many ''active bids'' and ''our business done early''!!!!! Tossers.To really shove it up us they then sell Samba .So we have had a Championship quality team all season and guess where we will end up?????

I reckon we're going to need 38 points now which is 2 wins and a draw. Can't see us getting that many but if we win on Sunday at least we'll probably still be in with a shout in the last game and then you never know. Long shot though.

Hope springs eternal but not no but hell no. We can count on us being true to form and helping Spurs end their poor run of form. In watching the other teams who are struggling, Wolves aside, they are better organized than us and clearly clearly WANT to stay in this league. Our lot have not shown me that desire since before the Bolton game. Yesterday was better by a long way but sadly too little too late. We are going down say we are going down.

We'll probably beat Wigan, but it likely won't be enough. I have absolutely no hope that we can get anything from Spurs at all, so it will be down to whether or not we can get something at Chelsea. As long as it's mathematically possible to survive on the final day, there will be some hope. Anything can happen on the final day.

Personally, I don't think that this was the start of The Great Escape. As ABBEY said, Steve McQueen is more likely to rise from the dead and jump over the Riverside on a motorbike.

For all the reasons listed above by fellow fans, I think that much as we love the club, blind freddy could see that over the course of the season, we were one of the 3 poorest sides in the division. The table does not lie.

But in saying that, much as I despise Venkys (and Kean as their right hand), I sincerely hope that we do pull off a miracle escape. Because once we go down, we aint never coming back up. Not in this lifetime anyway.

As long as we are in the top flight, the Venkys/Kean situation will one day get resolved. Hopefully for the better. And the club retains its value for prospective buyers.

In saying that, Venkys show no signs of letting us go even if we drop down, so hoping for relegation in order to lose that millstone may end up being 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.

Premiership with Kean and Venkys.....or Championship with Kean and Venkys. I'll take the former any day.

So heres to Steve McQueen. Hope he does show up. :tu:

No.

Whats more if staying up means limping on with venkean causally selling assets as they go I'm not sure even want us to stay up as ridiculous as that sounds.

If go down MAY and only may get rid of them both and it's only the vaguest possibility that may get rid that keeps me going

It doesn't matter to me what division rovers are in I'd personally would prefer the club to be wound up and start again in evo stick division one north and watch rovers vs clitheroe etc than watch Kean lie his way through another prem season.

No.

Whats more if staying up means limping on with venkean causally selling assets as they go I'm not sure even want us to stay up as ridiculous as that sounds.

If go down MAY and only may get rid of them both and it's only the vaguest possibility that may get rid that keeps me going

It doesn't matter to me what division rovers are in I'd personally would prefer the club to be wound up and start again in evo stick division one north and watch rovers vs clitheroe etc than watch Kean lie his way through another prem season.

We've been "selling assets" for years. Or have you forgotten waving goodbye to players like Bellamy, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Warnock? Our club has no choice but to limp on unless someone is charitable enough to invest enough money into the club. Otherwise we will continue to "limp on" hoping that our gambles on unproven or past it players actually pay off.

It's unbelievable that some people go on and on about how important Rovers in the Premier League is to the town, and then say how they'd rather go down.

We've been "selling assets" for years. Or have you forgotten waving goodbye to players like Bellamy, Bentley, Santa Cruz and Warnock? Our club has no choice but to limp on unless someone is charitable enough to invest enough money into the club. Otherwise we will continue to "limp on" hoping that our gambles on unproven or past it players actually pay off.

It's unbelievable that some people go on and on about how important Rovers in the Premier League is to the town, and then say how they'd rather go down.

The big difference is that whenever we sold a "Bellamy" we replaced him with a "McCarthy". In other words we always tried to bring in a decent replacement. Venky's have brought in so much rubbish that even the manager is too ashamed to pick them. Bruno, Anderson, Goodwille, Slew and the rest. That's the difference Miker. Venky's have never attempted to bring in quality replacements and that is why we are going down.

The only reason I can see for people wanting the club to go down, and I admit I cannot understand it, is to get away from the glare of the national media highlighting the fact that the club has become a national laughing stock.

The saddest part of all this is that there really is no reason for the club to have been relegated this season. If the owners had resisted the urge to get high wage owners off the wage bill all at once and looked for a gradual reduction we might well have survived. It needed careful pruning of the squad instead of which Desai, who clearly is way, way of her depth, has cut the squad to pieces and brought in cheap and totally inadequate replacements.

The win against Norwich was welcome but unless the team can get another six or seven points it will count for very little. Rather than the great escape I suspect Saturday was just another chapter in the "Great Betrayal" by the owners and the puppet in the dug out.

If im being realistic Bolton and Wigan would have to fail to pick up any more points for Rovers to have any chance to survive this season.

Wigan appears our only realistic chance of registering anymore points, whilst QPR's goal difference is worth an extra point,

I just cant see Wigan, Bolton and QPR failing to get a win in the 11 matches they have between them.

I'm usually fairly cautious in outlook but I'm staggered by the pessimism on here.

Logically, you would think 'a bridge too far' but I've got this gut feeling that wins against Wigan and a demoralised, dejected and knackered Chelsea will see us through.

Archived