BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

neophox

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most depressing thing I've heard in this window is Shebby's statement that we are only looking to sign one more player, two at most. One of those players is ostensibly Adrien Silva, another midfielder. This means they 'might' look at signing another player, but they're not sure, and there were previously reports that if we lost Yakubu we would look to get yet another striker.

This means they are not very interested, if at all, in bringing in reinforcements in our WEAKEST part of the pitch, the defence. Yes, if Silva is a good runner as has been said, and if he can defend a little, maybe he will provide more cover to the defence, but that isn't all there is to it. I'm not comfortable with our only recognised centrebacks being Givet, Dann and Hanley. The first two have shown they can be injury prone (and Dann is shocking...might be better in this league, remains to be seen), and if I remember rightly all three had injury problems at some point during the season. We just sent our youth captain, a centre half, out on loan, so there really is no cover. We desperately need to sign a centre half. I think we could do with a left back too, given the probability of Olsson leaving, and the fact Givet will be needed a lot in the centre anyway (if he even stays). Yes we could then replace, but Singh said we wanted everyone in place for pre-season. We should look at Nicky Shorey if possible, and I dunno who for centre half. Right back is also a potential problem area, we only have Orr with Lowe as (supposedly out of position) cover.

If we don't sign at least one defender, I'm certain it will not be a good season.

only then?!!!!

I'm only CERTAIN then...I'm still holding onto the thin hope they might sack Coco after the first 7 or 8 games and let us salvage something. If we've bought well in the summer that will be possible.

agreed we need a C/B , personally i'd be looking at someone like Jody Craddock or Dan Shittu (bags of experience at this level and free ) or someone like Mcfadzean who's young, got potential and a hunger to play at a higher level

At the moment I am very happy with the transfer window. I was expecting a fire sale and players to be replaced by League 1 standard players, not premiership class players which at least 2 of the players we have bought are. Speaking to non Rovers fans they can't believe we have signed Murphy and think that Gomes and Best are good signings for the championship. IMO Murphy with be more effective than Nzonzi given some of Nzonzi's non-performances than last season. The key now is to keep the majority of the squad. Bunn can replace Robinson quite easily. If we can keep Givet, Dann, Hanley and add one / 2 more defenders then I will be happy. Also a left back is needed if / when Olsson leaves, or a possibility could be to train his brother to play left back as he has the pace to recover and would not be exposed as much in the Championship as he would be in the Premiership. Yes a risk but a possibility. Getting Silva would be great, like I said the key now is that we don't loose to many more important players and buy a defender or two.

At the moment I am very happy with the transfer window. I was expecting a fire sale and players to be replaced by League 1 standard players, not premiership class players which at least 2 of the players we have bought are. Speaking to non Rovers fans they can't believe we have signed Murphy and think that Gomes and Best are good signings for the championship. IMO Murphy with be more effective than Nzonzi given some of Nzonzi's non-performances than last season. The key now is to keep the majority of the squad. Bunn can replace Robinson quite easily. If we can keep Givet, Dann, Hanley and add one / 2 more defenders then I will be happy. Also a left back is needed if / when Olsson leaves, or a possibility could be to train his brother to play left back as he has the pace to recover and would not be exposed as much in the Championship as he would be in the Premiership. Yes a risk but a possibility. Getting Silva would be great, like I said the key now is that we don't loose to many more important players and buy a defender or two.

What about Wayne Bridge on loan, Citeh!! would probably pay the majority of his wages and he is better than anything we have at LB

Has nobody mentioned that we need an effective right winger as we've plenty of left footers.

Step forward Simon Vukcevic!

Although knowing Kean, we'll have Marcus Ollson or Lowe playing out of position there.

Step forward Simon Vukcevic!

Although knowing Kean, we'll have Marcus Ollson or Lowe playing out of position there.

I must admit I would like to see him given a decent chance, seems to have ability but at the same time wont leave the full back exposed.

I have for a long time thought one of the main issues with our midfield has been complete lack of ball retention. Murphy is such an improvement and I actually think Vukecevic will help there as well.

I believe someone mentioned that Vukcevic didn't get more playing time due to behind the scenes orders regarding bonus payments should he feature more. As presumably Venky's have decided to back Kean financially then Kean should also be able to select his starting XI more freely and not controlled so much by politics. He's definitely got more than enough quality for the Championship, so I hope to see him feature more.

Givet article interesting in LT.

Just as I've been flagging, paying ridiculous wages to Murphy, Best & Gomes is only going to cause problems this season and next season, irrespective of whether we go up or not.

If you were Givet, how would you feel about a 50% pay cut, contracted or not, that would put you on less money than, more than likely, all three of the aforementioned.

An indefensible wages' structure will only bring chaos and disillusionment.

Next season, if we don't go up, we'll be financially in trouble and if we do go up, the vastly inflated salaries of Morphy & Best become the base line in that any 'quality' we are after will only want more than Murphy & Best.

I right old pickle we find ourselves in. Surprised, not in the least, saddened, very much so.

Brighton?!? Bloody hell how've we managed to miss that one.

Agree, bloody lucky to dodge that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you were Givet, how would you feel about a 50% pay cut, contracted or not, that would put you on less money than, more than likely, all three of the aforementioned.

I'd probably feel that I shouldn't have accepted clauses I'm not willing to see out, and that I should have made sure I was in the right frame of mind for key games during the season, as that may have avoided the relegation that was now hurting me. All considered, I'd be thinking I sure did cock it up, and that £15,000 a week or so is still a very nice living. If I was overspending based on a 30k p/w wage, I'd be thinking I'd cocked up by overspending.

I fail to see the issue mercer, players from clubs don't all get paid the same so it's a moot point surely. Would he have been unhappy to earn half as much as samba previously??

I have no issue with murphy coming in on that sort of money if he leads us back up. If we stay down it looks like an expensive gamble.

Agree, bloody lucky to dodge that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, he's no great shakes, but he's plenty good enough for the Championship. Unless he's been suffering serious injury issues?

I fail to see the issue mercer, players from clubs don't all get paid the same so it's a moot point surely. Would he have been unhappy to earn half as much as samba previously??

I have no issue with murphy coming in on that sort of money if he leads us back up. If we stay down it looks like an expensive gamble.

Don't think it is a moot point. Agree, there are differentials at all clubs and always will be. The key is justifying those differentials. For example, you could make a strong case for justifying Samba being paid substantially more than Givet in terms of club captain, team influence and impact, overall level of performance and market value. Similarly, say Rooney versus Welbeck. Where I see problems is Murphy and Best versus Givet - I would not like to try and 'defend' that differential ! Take Best, a bit part PL player v a proven, consistent 'warrior' at PL level.

Two of the biggest issues I've faced in working life are dealing with pricing and remuneration differentials. Get those wrong and you really do have problems in your business.

Players being brought in is important but the main thing will be who leaves. Our squad lacking numbers was part of the reason we were relegated (getting rid of samba,nelson, and emerton didnt help or having Kean at the helm and not playing certain players.)

Teams have been relegated before us with the thinking that if we can keep some the players we had in the premier league we will be ok and have not come back up.

The yak and hoilet alreadyt will be a huge loss also probably n'zonzi, olsson and robbo maybe some of simon, formica and rochina.

Championship games come thick and fast we will need close to double incoming as outgoings and most of them will have to be quality (championship wise) and to be able to hit the ground running, to have a chance of competing for the playoffs and to have a leg to stand on IF we get back into the top flight and that is without taking into consideration Kean's total lack of ability.

Archived