BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

neophox

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably feel that I shouldn't have accepted clauses I'm not willing to see out, and that I should have made sure I was in the right frame of mind for key games during the season, as that may have avoided the relegation that was now hurting me. All considered, I'd be thinking I sure did cock it up, and that £15,000 a week or so is still a very nice living. If I was overspending based on a 30k p/w wage, I'd be thinking I'd cocked up by overspending.

I would certainly be annoyed. The reason why these clauses were inserted is because the club wouldn't be able to afford Prem wages in the Championship. My question to the club would be "how come you can't afford my wages after the service I've given to rovers, yet you can afford wages for other players who've not been here two minutes? We can either afford Premier League wages - or we can't"

I'd probably feel that I shouldn't have accepted clauses I'm not willing to see out, and that I should have made sure I was in the right frame of mind for key games during the season, as that may have avoided the relegation that was now hurting me. All considered, I'd be thinking I sure did cock it up, and that £15,000 a week or so is still a very nice living. If I was overspending based on a 30k p/w wage, I'd be thinking I'd cocked up by overspending.

You saved me the effort there. I've no pity for Givet, he's been paid a hell of a lot to sit around getting his head in the right frame of mind or kicking back for a month after making a stupid and reckless challenge. He must have been on £40k+ a week - if he has spent all that he needs his head seeing to.

Simão Sabrosa has been released from Besiktas. Could be good for us, he is 32 so well under the maximum age for a Rovers palyer.

That would surely be a very good signing. Unlikely anyway but would he want high wages or want to go to a top flight team to get back into the Portugal squad?

Twitter rumours suggest we want David Bentley back......personally I would love it......I don't really like him as a person but I don't care about that if they play well.

Can you imagine if Best isnt as good as what we need, what then. Suppose Kean and co. will pocket their £19m in parachute payments come next summer and then clear off into the sunset looking for their next heist in football.

I would certainly be annoyed. The reason why these clauses were inserted is because the club wouldn't be able to afford Prem wages in the Championship. My question to the club would be "how come you can't afford my wages after the service I've given to rovers, yet you can afford wages for other players who've not been here two minutes? We can either afford Premier League wages - or we can't"

That question would be selfish and ignorant, then. Firstly, it doesn't matter why the clause was inserted, it was (under the previous regime, at that), and it was agreed to. Much like wages are agreed to. When a player gets injured and doesn't play, a la Grella, the club doesn't say "The reason we agreed to pay you wages is because we thought you would play" and try to get them to agree to take a non-contracted pay cut. We didn't ask Yakubu to forego his relegation release clause because we didn't expect him to be that good or the club to go down. Point being, contracts are there for a reason- to protect players and to protect clubs, in different ways. This is a clause that protects the club. All the ones that players sign to protect themselves always get to stay, there is no reason this one that protects us shouldn't.

Secondly, it's rather obvious why we can't afford to give Givet his old wages back. If we did, we'd be under the same obligation to give all the relegated players their old wages back, probably almost doubling our wage bill, despite our income dropping considerably. This would mean we COULDNT afford to bring in new players, probably at all, let alone of the class of Murphy. Anyway, Givet is a defender, meant to be on 30-40k p/w when we were in the Prem. I don't see us picking up any defenders in that wage bracket. Defenders go for less money, and get paid less, as a rule of averages. It's quite clear that we need those clauses to protect us as a club, and to allow us to make some signings to try and get back in the Prem. At which point we COULD afford to pay everyone their previous wages or higher.

Danny Murphy was fit and in form last season and played a large number of games even at his age.

Givet has struggled with injuries and has a heart condition that may require him to be withdrawn at any time or might even result in something more serious. It's a risk to give him a wage increase especially where he agreed to a pay cut.

If players sign contracts agreeing to wage cuts and when they get them they start to kick up a fuss then the club shouldn't bow to any demands. Players need to respect their contract terms.

Givet is an excellent player for us though. Not many going for him at the moment and he's still contracted to us, so hopefully we keep him.

Why are we even debating transfers, we've all been told that we are interested in, going for and who we are signing by the ITK's on here haha what a joke. No 1 on here knows anythings so why don't we all just quiet down

Well, probably because debating transfers is fun and we enjoy doing it.

Givet is an excellent player for us though. Not many going for him at the moment and he's still contracted to us, so hopefully we keep him.

So you want him to stay because he's an excellent player, but you also expect him to play for half the wages of 36 year old newcomers. Givet's position will be quite simple. "There's either money available for PL wages, or there's not. If you think others are worth far more money than me, then I'm off."

Sticking to the principle of a contract here Miker, will cost you a good [not top] player. That's the fact of the matter. If you think he's someone you want to keep, then you pay him comparable wages to others. Either that or say goodbye.

The original point from mercerman [?] about wage structures is quite valid in my opinion.

Put it in perspective. If you or I walked in to our employer's office and said, "I know my contract of employment is based upon a number of clearly stated and agreed terms that I had my legal advisers and agent look over in detail before I signed it, but I now wish to renegotiate these terms because new employees are getting more favourable treatment than I agreed to." How do you think the employer is likely to respond?

Yes. I thought so.

It is another example of how players in the modern game are destroying any notion of morality, honesty and honour.

I couldn't care less if Givet was the best player in the world. He is one man. A highly paid so called 'professional' and he has a team of highly paid advisers who would appear to have let him down. Let him take up his grievance with them, not with the club that, in good faith (or with his fingers crossed) he agreed a deal with last year.

Here we go again, people writing off players before they've kicked a ball.

We now play our football in the Championship!

Scoffing at an experienced midfielder who played over 40 games for Fulham last year is ridiculous.

Funnily enough, some of the same people who lamented our squad for being too inexperienced and lacking leadership last season.

Archived