BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Staff Being Made Redundant At Ewood

Ralfinho

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The powers that be are maybe getting twitchy that they may not be able to deliver,

Directors have responsibilities in law

I believe it is the not yet approved wannabe Directors who are sweating.

I apologise but there is a very good reason why I cannot say which department got removed in entirety.

However, the point remains that staff who are now being removed I believe received reassurances about their jobs only in May/June. The cost savings on these staff is of course a fraction of the payrise Steve Kean received from Mrs D at the Wigan away game last season.

Yet again the decision making at Rovers making no business sense whatsoever. The staff who remain with Rovers won't believe a thing they are told ever again.

Nice one, more cryptic Philipl nonsense :mellow:

People are refusing to buy tickets, and in some cases merchandise now because 'them lot' are still here. Its pretty pointless them having many staff working on that side of things I'm afraid at the moment. Last week when I went to pick up Leeds tickets there wasn't a single customer apart from me in the shop.

I'm not saying this is an area that's suffered redundancies, but could understand if it was.....

Backtracked by sticking to my original point? Brilliant.

Your first post sums you up, trying to be clever and then you realised it was a stupid thing to say and tried to justify it. Quite pathetic and infantile really.

One of my good friends told me last week that she, and others, had been served one weeks notice. They werent given any explanation to why they were loosing their jobs and were told to return their complimentary season tickets and that they werent getting any redundancy money. I have since spoken to her and she said once she has a new job then she will be going to the press to "let them know" what exactly is going on behind the scenes at Ewood Park.

Providing they are full time staff and have a normal contract of employment it is against the law to make someone redundant without going through the full redundancy procedure and they are fully entitled to redundancy pay according to length of service.

I apologise but there is a very good reason why I cannot say which department got removed in entirety.

However, the point remains that staff who are now being removed I believe received reassurances about their jobs only in May/June. The cost savings on these staff is of course a fraction of the payrise Steve Kean received from Mrs D at the Wigan away game last season.

Yet again the decision making at Rovers making no business sense whatsoever. The staff who remain with Rovers won't believe a thing they are told ever again.

The fact that an entire department has gone suggests someone has decided that perhaps whatever they did was something of a luxury, or perhaps something better outsourced.Perhaps it is an area most affected by the radical reduction in gates - something praised and encouraged on here day in day out.

Without context we have no idea if this makes business sense or not.

File under Ali Syed has a billion pounds in his Post Office Junior Saver Account and would be a marvelous buyer for the Rovers.

That is exactly what I was refering to Philip

Virtually every thread I read these days is littered with this.

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by braddock. View it anyway?

It's becoming only slightly less annoying than seeing his/her posts quoted by others. Is there no forum rule concerning excessive posting?

Aside from that it's galling hearing about some poor men and women - probably on modest salaries - being made redundant whilst Kean continues to be rewarded with thousands. And to those who think it's sour grapes - I'm sure these people don't want to lose their jobs, so they will keep their council (and probably swallow their pride) to continue being employed. That's often life for a depressed Northern town person.

How so?

How many think it will be cool for some insider knowledge?

You baffle me sometimes Harold.

Come on now Braddock; don't try and get clever.......You know full well that your single remark of "Cool" in answer to the post anouncing the redundancies was only going to be seen as in very poor taste at best (and that really IS putting it mildly). You knew fine that you were virtually 100% going to get a negative reaction and that is what you were hoping for. It is just as well for you that I am not a mod, because if I was you would not be trolling on here again for some considerable time. You disgust me with that response!!

One week's notice and no explanation? I'm not an expert in British legislature, but is that even legal?

Unfortunately, it could well be. Statutory rights to notice, redundancy pay and reasons for dismissal are largely determined by your length of service.

What is almost certain is that the people losing their jobs will not be the people responsible for bringing about the redundancy situation. The fault for that lies with Kean and Venkys for causing the club to be relegated.

One week's notice and no explanation? I'm not an expert in British legislature, but is that even legal?

From the direct.gov.uk website:

Redundancy notice periods

If your employer has selected you for redundancy you must be given a notice period before your employment ends. The statutory redundancy notice periods are:

• at least one week’s notice if you have been employed between one month and two years
  • one week’s notice for each year if employed between two and 12 years
  • 12 weeks’ notice if employed for 12 years or more

However, you should also check your contract of employment because your employer could have set out longer notice periods.

Derik shaw said in the meeting we had with him that £3 million was spent on wages at non footballing level , and this needs to be massively reduced in his opinion . He said that there was too many cases of there being a secretary for A secretary and departments were top heavy with individuals who have little to do all day than do their nails (his words)

So on that basis redundancies do not surprise me , and with less customers to deal with through reduced attendees at Ewood it was only a matter of time before people who work there started becoming casualties .

hopefully not many will lose their jobs and the club can find ways of tempting supporters back. Our wage bill is still massive and with reduced income this season the hole needs to be plugged somewhere

Unfortunately, it could well be. Statutory rights to notice, redundancy pay and reasons for dismissal are largely determined by your length of service.

What is almost certain is that the people losing their jobs will not be the people responsible for bringing about the redundancy situation. The fault for that lies with Kean and Venkys for causing the club to be relegated.

And of course the fans to a much smaller degree. Every little helps, though.

Providing they are full time staff and have a normal contract of employment it is against the law to make someone redundant without going through the full redundancy procedure and they are fully entitled to redundancy pay according to length of service.

I have since spoken to her regarding the redundancy as she has told me she found out earlier today that she is getting a figure but not the figure she was verbally promised, it is considerably lower than what she had been told

Derik shaw said in the meeting we had with him that £3 million was spent on wages at non footballing level , and this needs to be massively reduced in his opinion . He said that there was too many cases of there being a secretary for A secretary and departments were top heavy with individuals who have little to do all day than do their nails (his words)

So on that basis redundancies do not surprise me , and with less customers to deal with through reduced attendees at Ewood it was only a matter of time before people who work there started becoming casualties .

hopefully not many will lose their jobs and the club can find ways of tempting supporters back. Our wage bill is still massive and with reduced income this season the hole needs to be plugged somewhere

This is desperately sad news for those involved.

Even Rovers under Venky's, I think, ensure, legally, that the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed where employment rights are concerned, so I would be 90% certain that the correct process, notice periods and statutory redundancy terms have been adhered to. As regards to discretionary terms, the club can simply do as they see fit and whereas messrs Williams, Finn etc would have been more compassionate and caring, It's not too difficult to imagime the current regime being less so.

Re Glen9Mullan's points above - Firstly, I would have thought the three million will include several 'big hitters' (cost wise) such as executive directors, and Shebby, I imagine, is very, very expensive. Most likely, the people who are losing their jobs will yield savings that are relatively chicken sh1t in the scheme of things. IMV, the three million is 'spin' and nonsense as in reality three million would roughly equate to a 110 people at fully costed national average wage levels and I would think that many affected are on wages significantly below national average wage levels. so you would probably be talking about 150 people (and we clearly aren't !!!).

What really galls me is that our first team has a management team of 4 (Kean, Black, Brunskill & Hendry). Even Fergie only has an assistant and a coach. Cost of these 4 is probably around the two million mark. How about losing one of those four and allowing 10 to 15 others to retain their jobs ! At least it would be leading by example !!!

This is desperately sad news for those involved.

Even Rovers under Venky's, I think, ensure, legally, that the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed where employment rights are concerned, so I would be 90% certain that the correct process, notice periods and statutory redundancy terms have been adhered to. As regards to discretionary terms, the club can simply do as they see fit and whereas messrs Williams, Finn etc would have been more compassionate and caring, It's not too difficult to imagime the current regime being less so.

Re Glen9Mullan's points above - Firstly, I would have thought the three million will include several 'big hitters' (cost wise) such as executive directors, and Shebby, I imagine, is very, very expensive. Most likely, the people who are losing their jobs will yield savings that are relatively chicken sh1t in the scheme of things. IMV, the three million is 'spin' and nonsense as in reality three million would roughly equate to a 110 people at fully costed national average wage levels and I would think that many affected are on wages significantly below national average wage levels. so you would probably be talking about 150 people (and we clearly aren't !!!).

What really galls me is that our first team has a management team of 4 (Kean, Black, Brunskill & Hendry). Even Fergie only has an assistant and a coach. Cost of these 4 is probably around the two million mark. How about losing one of those four and allowing 10 to 15 others to retain their jobs ! At least it would be leading by example !!!

Perhaps fans forum could ask at their meeting tonight about the redundancies ?

Archived