BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the general consensus on McCarthy? That he would take us up but probably not keep us there?

I am leaning towards that view but he didn't take Wolves back down.....he might have even kept them up last year......and they only had 3/4 decent players......I can't remember Sunderland having any when he went down with them.....took Ireland to the World Cup after beating Holland.....didn't they go out on penalties? Or beat Spain on penalties, then go out or something?

I do quite like the guy personally.....as a pundit and in interviews, not as a commentator......he always tells it like it is.....you probably couldn't get a manager so far unlike Kean in that respect.

And a poor one at Ipswich......not up for Keane personally....hate his surname as well.....it would be a constant reminder.

Hasn't Keane just taken a job in Turkey?

As for the trimvirate of Messrs Flitcroft, Jansen and Short, well all three were excellent players and come across as excellent people but the club in it's current chaotic state does not need heroes of yore making dewy eyed returns. Ewood is no place for managerial rookies.

What is needed is a flint eyed pragmatist, battle hardened, ready for the fray and a commander of respect. Step forward Mick McCarthy, ya big Yorkshire fecker.

McCarthy would give us a good chance of getting up as he'd tighten us up at the back and getting service to Rhodes. That's enough to get you out of the Championship but not enough in the Premier League as his record suggests. He kept Wolves up for a season though and that would warrent us giving him a 2 year contract. Walter Smith would also be a safe pair of hands and has a good record...

Paying 3 million for Sherwood would be crazy and if we were going "up and coming" I think Karl Robinson might be a better, cheaper and more experienced bet. Forget Rafa Benitez, he'll never come here and I don't thing Solksjaer would either.

If we appoint Jansen/Flitty/Short then we are asking for trouble.

Why is everyone so eager on Mick McCarthy? Have you forgotten what happened to him last year? He did so badly at Wolverhampton Wanderers that fans were calling for his head halfway through the season (and mind you, they were already bottom before Trevor took over), and if I recall other than beating us in the first game of the season they mostly remained below us, rooted to the bottom. Not to mention he was also fighting us to escape relegation two seasons ago and got beaten 3-2 in our last game of that season. bish1982 said that he kept Wolverhampton up for a season, but that was more down to luck than anything else. If Birmingham City hadn't been held to a draw, it would have been Wolves who went down instead, since they lost to us. Getting promotion just to get embroiled in another relegation battle immediately? No improvement from Steve Kean. And a few years back, he was responsible for Sunderland's worst ever finish in the Premiership - 18 points in the entire season, dead last and relegated. Even He Who Must Not Be Named (though I just named him earlier) had gotten more than 30 points.

Are you sure you want someone like that? Sure he's got a proven record of taking teams up, but he also has an equally proven record of sending them back down almost immediately. That's just my opinion though, but just a word of caution before everyone blindly throws themselves into the McCarthy bandwagon.

Funnily enough, despite harping on McCarthy's record of taking teams up and overlooking his record of sending them down just as quickly, the same people criticize Garry Flitcroft as being trouble despite him having a record of taking Chorley up in his first attempt. Now I'm not suggesting we get Flitcroft, but I think that's a little weird that you're willing to overlook McCarthy's flaws for his positives (damn you Kean for that word) but at the same time overlooking Flitcroft's positives and maybe even Sherwood's positives for their lack of experience.

Why is everyone so eager on Mick McCarthy? Have you forgotten what happened to him last year? He did so badly at Wolverhampton Wanderers that fans were calling for his head halfway through the season (and mind you, they were already bottom before Trevor took over), and if I recall other than beating us in the first game of the season they mostly remained below us, rooted to the bottom. Not to mention he was also fighting us to escape relegation two seasons ago and got beaten 3-2 in our last game of that season. bish1982 said that he kept Wolverhampton up for a season, but that was more down to luck than anything else. If Birmingham City hadn't been held to a draw, it would have been Wolves who went down instead, since they lost to us. Getting promotion just to get embroiled in another relegation battle immediately? No improvement from Steve Kean. And a few years back, he was responsible for Sunderland's worst ever finish in the Premiership - 18 points in the entire season, dead last and relegated. Even He Who Must Not Be Named (though I just named him earlier) had gotten more than 30 points.

Are you sure you want someone like that? Sure he's got a proven record of taking teams up, but he also has an equally proven record of sending them back down almost immediately. That's just my opinion though, but just a word of caution before everyone blindly throws themselves into the McCarthy bandwagon.

Funnily enough, despite harping on McCarthy's record of taking teams up and overlooking his record of sending them down just as quickly, the same people criticize Garry Flitcroft as being trouble despite him having a record of taking Chorley up in his first attempt. Now I'm not suggesting we get Flitcroft, but I think that's a little weird that you're willing to overlook McCarthy's flaws for his positives (damn you Kean for that word) but at the same time overlooking Flitcroft's positives and maybe even Sherwood's positives for their lack of experience.

Eager isn't the word I'd use. He would be a safe pair of hands (similar to Sam) who would stabilise us through what will still be a difficult period. He's an experienced guy at the level we are at. Maybe a 12 month contract would be good.

Eager isn't the word I'd use. He would be a safe pair of hands (similar to Sam) who would stabilise us through what will still be a difficult period. He's an experienced guy at the level we are at. Maybe a 12 month contract would be good.

I doubt he will accept a 12-month contract. It's like telling him, "hey, we're hiring you just to get promoted, then we can go our separate ways after that." After working hard to secure promotion, there's no way he wouldn't want to manage a team at the Premiership level (despite failing spectacularly every time). I would definitely take Sam Allardyce over him any time, given the work he's done both here and Bolton Wanderers. By the way, he's still getting stick from the West Ham fans despite their pretty high position, but I don't see anyone criticizing the West Ham fans for that. We protest against Steve Kean, and we get abused the media. Double standards much?

Well, I think everyone will be happy with Harry Rednapp, but whether he will actually agree to manage us is another issue altogether......

Villas-Boas, speaking after his side's stunning 3-2 against Manchester United in the Premier League at Old Trafford on Saturday, said: "I can't comment on the Blackburn situation because I have Steve Kean as a friend and I respect him.

"But if Tim is a candidate, he has to make a personal decision and speak to the club."

Hmm. Strange bedfellows.

My hunch is that Villa-Boas would be delighted to lose Sherwood who is breathing down his neck, and bring someone in who is less London and more Europeanin charge of the youth

Can't find a link, but the People (Nixon) reporting that Rovers have requested permission to speak to Sherwood and are lining up a contract of £35k p/w plus a cool £1m promotion bonus.

I'd go with more experience to be honest. But if it had to be Sherwood then just imagine how many would flood back through the turnstiles if he had King Kenny working with him as a DOF or some other senior role!! Sadly, i just can't see it.

My friend who is a Spurs fan, says that Andre Villas-Boas thinks highly of Tim Sherwood as a technical co-ordinator or whatever that post is called, which is why he wanted Sherwood to remain in that position. Not sure how true that is.

What does a technical co-ordinator do? It sounds like one of those fanciful titles they give in football when somebody doesn't have a real job.

Knowing Venkys they'll bring in Chris Coleman and allow him to choose his own assistant....

Why Chris Coleman? Is it because of his time at Fulham and relationship with Danny Murphy and Dickson Etuhu? I didn't know Venkys were fans of Fulham.

What does a technical co-ordinator do? It sounds like one of those fanciful titles they give in football when somebody doesn't have a real job.

No idea, maybe he is supposed to co-ordinate the technical aspects of the game, such as fitness, tactics, health, etc?

Can't find a link, but the People (Nixon) reporting that Rovers have requested permission to speak to Sherwood and are lining up a contract of £35k p/w plus a cool £1m promotion bonus.

WTF? Allardyce was rumoured to be on £40k/w in Premier League, and now we're offering almost same terms to a complete novice in a league where our revenue is cool half of what it was in the PL? Idiots.

Because he'd pick Steve Kean as his assistant and we'd be back to square one.

I thought it was funny.

Oh, right! I completely forgot that Steve Kean was Chris Coleman's assistant. Sorry about that. My goodness, my mind is completey filled with the notion that Steve Kean has been an eternal nightmare lingering in Blackburn Rovers forever that I forgot he used to be an assistant at Fulham and other clubs.

McCarthy would be a good, sensible choice.

Venkys don't do sensible though, so they?

I am beginning to think Mad Mick , would be the best choice ...

But , I also think it will be next season before we can seriously look at promotion , Kean signed dross and a lot of it ..

Whoever the new man is , needs to rid the club of people like Orr, Dann , Anderson , Portugese no marks etc etc

Kean was a total unmitigated disaster , to rid the club of his shadow is going to take time and a good manager ...

Agnew leave now !

Oh, right! I completely forgot that Steve Kean was Chris Coleman's assistant. Sorry about that. My goodness, my mind is completey filled with the notion that Steve Kean has been an eternal nightmare lingering in Blackburn Rovers forever that I forgot he used to be an assistant at Fulham and other clubs.

Its early on a Sunday morning mate - You can be forgiven for forgetting other clubs have suffered too!!

I'm waiting for the official statement from the club-that following the departure of Steve Kean the club have offered Eric Black a Temporary management contract and he will fly out every weekend to India to report on his progress and introduce his wife to Mrs Desai.....

I'll tell you now Venky's won't spend money on a new manager they will appoint from within.

** NOT that Eric black is Steve Kean-i like the bloke!!! (but don't feel he is what the club needs right now as a manager-the club needs a breath of fresh-air and new blood. Something for the fans to get behind**

http://www.lancashir...his_own_future/

Archived