BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

I disagree completely.

Robbo, very good keeper.

Individually Givet/ Martin Olsson/Dann/ Hanley should all be more than good enough at this level . Marcus Olsson has done better than I thought. I agree Orr is abysmal at RB but Lowe hasn't played too badly in that position previously .

Etuhu/Murphy should be able to dominate games at this level. Gomes has done far better than I thought and Rochina has the ability to be a cut above if given an extended run. Nunes has shown considerable promise. Kazim Richards looks OK and Vukcevic can't even get on the bench.

Rhodes looks a top quality acquisition with Best to come back.

Then we have more depth in the squad to cope with injuries and suspension than most.

A half decent manager should be able to get this squad up at a canter imo.

Yeh I have to agree, the squad is not the best when you compare it to the premiership, but we're not in the premiership anymore, compared to the championship clubs it's more than competitive.

Is the squad as strong as when Kean took over? No but who's fault is that!!!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who would you go for out of interest?

Well its not up to me & im glad its not

we firstly need to try sort the boardroom out, then get a manager that all agree on. The board & Venkys need to be signing from the same hymn sheet. Thats why the previous regime were so successful

My heart would love Sherwood, I have heard only good things about him however hearing good things does not mean he will be good. I just feel that appointment will be similar to the Hughes appointment

There are not really any proven championship/premier league managers available so a risk has to be taken or we must poach someone if we are to fill my criteria.

So my gamble would be Sherwood & my poach would be Holloway as he is the best I think we would be able to poach!!

I disagree completely.

Robbo, very good keeper.

Individually Givet/ Martin Olsson/Dann/ Hanley should all be more than good enough at this level . Marcus Olsson has done better than I thought. I agree Orr is abysmal at RB but Lowe hasn't played too badly in that position previously .

Etuhu/Murphy should be able to dominate games at this level. Gomes has done far better than I thought and Rochina has the ability to be a cut above if given an extended run. Nunes has shown considerable promise. Kazim Richards looks OK and Vukcevic can't even get on the bench.

Rhodes looks a top quality acquisition with Best to come back.

Then we have more depth in the squad to cope with injuries and suspension than most.

A half decent manager should be able to get this squad up at a canter imo.

There's a lot of shoulds in that. Anyway I'm glad I've read it because I can sit back now and watch us cruise this league. Thanks for reassuring me.

Someone should ask Nicko who's squad it was if it's so bad. That would be one Steve Kean!

Exactly!

To be fair I think we've made some decent signings.

He just hasn't ever got the team performing as a unit. For example from where I sit high up at the side during home games it's obvious that there's invariably too big of a gap between defence/midfield and midfield/attack.

Neither do we press the ball when the opposition have it. We just drop way too far back. It's all just so basic you'd think a better manager would sort it out.

I cant believe people are considering Mick McCarthy, Though he is a decent coach & will no doubt gain us promotion he has always proven to be a poor premier league manager. With Venkys being known for their "loyalty we will be back to square one!!! Although I think McCarthy is man enough to walk away!!

Harsh. McCarthy kept Wolves up for a season.

To be honest it's far too early to look towards the Premier League. If he would "no doubt" guarantee us promotion then we should hire him without a second thought. Getting promotion is all that matters right now, we'll tackle the PL question if it ever arises. I think you're really underestimating how tough it is to get out of this league.

Ian Holloway would be my choice. He knows this league inside out, he would be universally liked by the fans, he's got a good eye for a bargain (Charlie Adam, Matt Philips, Tom Ince etc) and he plays attractive football. He's done excellently for Blackpool, he wasn't far from keeping them up on a shoestring budget.

There's a lot of shoulds in that. Anyway I'm glad I've read it because I can sit back now and watch us cruise this league. Thanks for reassuring me.

If we had say Holloway or Poyet or Grayson in charge, would you rather have our squad or Blackpool's or Brighton's or Huddersfield's?

I'd take ours any day of the week.

Ideally - experience is what we need. Lessons need to be learnt. I would opt for maybe Curbishley who did the biz with promotion for Charlton years back. Adopt a number 2 in the shape of maybe Sherwood or Tugay - this move would instill confidence back with us fans and at the same time give that morale injection which is desperately needed back at Ewood...

Surely getting a manager with proven pedigree is going to be nearly impossible due to our owners being the worst around?? Know money talks but if they are a decent manager they will know other clubs, at some point, will be in for them too.

Sorry, off topic i know, but is the loan window still open?, we really need at least a couple more quality players(centre mid and defence), if sherwood came in im sure he could talk spurs into letting him borrow a couple of frindge players(jenas would have been almost perfect but i see hes just gone to forest on loan!).

Told him not to listen to any fans or journos, and that he should be talking to people within the game. I am sure that if he rang someone like Fergie he would advice him.

If only that had happened 24 months ago Kamy!

I think we are going to get a lot of this.

But hey, who cares. HE'S GONE!!!

Well said that man.

First choice would be curbishly, would be happy with Sherwood and think next manager will be black(which in my eyes is as bad as kean).

That's just not possible. But unfortunately for Eric Black, he worked under Kean.

We need to clear it all out, he might have gone but to suffer mediocrity (at best) and to stand by and watch the club unravel? Sorry, but it's just not good enough. Agnew, Shelf Bloke, Eric, Colin (sorry big man), that other coach (big lad, dark hair). It's time to go.

We start again.

(how's it going Jordan? Pint for you in Blues if your coming over)

First choice would be curbishly, would be happy with Sherwood and think next manager will be black(which in my eyes is as bad as kean).

Not that I want Black by any means but he has at least managed before and therefore is much better than Kean.

I think he would play differently to Kean....as I doubt when he previously managed he used the same system as Kean.

Here's some Coventry City fans comments (he previously managed them and Motherwell) -

"When Black was in charge we played exciting football and got mixed results."

"I think the pro-Black brigade fail to look at the whole picture when he was in charge. Admittedly he had some spectacular results big wins home and away and our fortunes improved, but he lost a lot too and changed the team after winning 6-1 i think it was to play in the FA Cup against lower league opposition and got beat and that is the game i think that cost him his job in the eyes of McGinnity and co. Probably was harsh sacking him at the time and why not have given him a stab at it BUT he was no messiah."

(In reference to above) Personally, I find the opposite to be true - namely that many fans now write off Black as being overrated without carefully scrutinising what he achieved in comparison to other managers (the big picture, so to speak).

'1. the average points per game went from 1.2 under McAllister to 1.6 under Black

2. the league win percentage went from 26% under McAllister to 50% under Black

3. the average goals scored per game went from 1.1 to 1.88

4. we scored three goals or more in a third of all Black's games

5. the average point total under Black is playoff calibre the majority of years

6. the average goal difference would have resulted in +33 over the course of a season

And he did all this with a less-than-stellar squad playing some really exciting football. I wouldn't bet on us finding another manager who has that kind of impact on the side anytime soon."

"Yes Black was great but it'll always be a case of "what if". What if he had've stayed and it'd gone down hill? Or maybe he would have been a great manager. We'll never know and that's OK for me. The Board made a mistake at the time but that's all in the past."

"True but he did have longer than Thorn and he did show real promise. I find it hilarious that people think Thorn plays entertaining football - do they remember Black? Goals galore -- and they should check the squad that he had at his disposal. He inherited what he got and he got on with it. It was an opportunity missed and no-one could ever compare Thorn with his clueless approach and the intelligent and thoughtful Black."

"Oh how i wish we had kept EB in at least some capacity."

"I'm not convinced Black would be right. Just because he hadn't had long enough to (Please don't use that word again) it up, people think he would have been great."

"Black managed us for 26 games and won 46% of them, nearly 3 times a long as Thorns end of season games. Although I agree you never know if it will work out but I wouldn't be disappointed with him as manager."

"[We] played some exciting attacking football when Eric Black was temporary manager."

"I would love it if Eric came back, at least we'd see attacking football with some intent to score goals.

This negative football and these spineless players need sorting out. We might even score more than 2 goals in a game, can you imagine it !!!!"

Interesting stuff.

Archived