BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gael Givet

Givet is mentally fragile and should be offloaded asap. Why he's a fan's favourite is a complete mystery as his defending is all desperate linges and mistimed headers. Too slow for full back, not tall enough for CB and a woeful passer. He repeatedly goes walkabout just before or during games and shows a shocking lack of professionalism. Apart from that he's ok.

Givet is mentally fragile and should be offloaded asap. Why he's a fan's favourite is a complete mystery as his defending is all desperate linges and mistimed headers. Too slow for full back, not tall enough for CB and a woeful passer. He repeatedly goes walkabout just before or during games and shows a shocking lack of professionalism. Apart from that he's ok.

Totally agree, you took the words out of my mouth. +100

Hahaha! With a calm, clear head - that is so true.

Shocking how even though that is all true, he is still our best defender though!

Another in full agreement here. I thought Givet back to France would have been one of the nailed-on transfers last summer, I'm amazed he's still here.

Oddly I think he'll be more exposed in this division than the Premier League because he'll come up against more teams playing route one with bruising centre forwards.

Not many centre halves can get away with being under 6 feet. It's not even like he's got a good leap to make up for it.

Looks like we have another Hoilett/Nzonzi situation where miraculously a sizeable amount of our fans don't rate one of our best players.

He is one of our best players, but like Frankie Boyle said, "It's like being awarded the title of best looking man on the burns unit".

I see your point, but regardless of what the other members of the squad are like, surely it's a good idea to keep and play your best players.

I don't mind Hanley next to Givet but him and Dann together hardly fills me with confidence.....or I suppose we could just play Dann and Orr together again, that was the only time I didn't miss Samba :blink: (Not directed at you Pedro)

I see your point, but regardless of what the other members of the squad are like, surely it's a good idea to keep and play your best players.

I don't mind Hanley next to Givet but him and Dann together hardly fills me with confidence.....or I suppose we could just play Dann and Orr together again, that was the only time I didn't miss Samba :blink: (Not directed at you Pedro)

I like Givet, he has his major flaws but I still have a lot of time for him. I like the blood and guts approach as it is entertaining!

He can't keep spitting his dummy out though midway through matches , as the poster further up sort of said - he is clearly unhinged. He does have a long track record of falling out with various coaches etc. and maybe if he still has value we should cash in on him like we had to with Samba, N'Zonzi and many of the other players that have grown out of/tired of the club and fans.

It is my understanding that French players can be the most difficult race to manage in football. There have been many reports of cliques with clubs where there are several players. Look at the rows that players in the French national team have had a recent tournaments. When we had N'Zonzi, Samba, Chimbonda and Diouf they all used to stick together, a type of kick one and they all limp mentality. Givet hasn't looked happy for a while now and I wonder how much he is missing his fellow countrymen.

Givet was having words with other defenders during the game - then again, if you had Orr, Dann or Hanley alongside you it's no wonder the frustration creeps in. I think this merely underlines that the so called 'spirit' in the camp is not what it should be. Givet never gives less than 100 per cent on the field but clearly he has strong views and is not afraid to express them. This is why we need a strong manager who can handle personalities and egos. It's no surprise that El-Hadji Diouf did well under Sam and is now doing well under Neil Warnock. You might not like Allardyce or Warnock but they know about man management and they get the best out of people. The same could be said of Hughes during his time at Ewood Park. It's that type of manager we need now. Givet is too good a defender to be simply cut loose because he is difficult to handle. We lost a decent young midfielder in Nzonzi for similar reasons and I would hate to see us lose Givet because the management isn't up to handling him.

He's a typical temperamental Frenchman, needs handling the right way, because he's without doubt the best defender at the club and is probably frustrated with playing with tweedly dee and tweddle dum (Dann and Orr).

Givet was having words with other defenders during the game - then again, if you had Orr, Dann or Hanley alongside you it's no wonder the frustration creeps in. I think this merely underlines that the so called 'spirit' in the camp is not what it should be. Givet never gives less than 100 per cent on the field but clearly he has strong views and is not afraid to express them. This is why we need a strong manager who can handle personalities and egos. It's no surprise that El-Hadji Diouf did well under Sam and is now doing well under Neil Warnock. You might not like Allardyce or Warnock but they know about man management and they get the best out of people. The same could be said of Hughes during his time at Ewood Park. It's that type of manager we need now. Givet is too good a defender to be simply cut loose because he is difficult to handle. We lost a decent young midfielder in Nzonzi for similar reasons and I would hate to see us lose Givet because the management isn't up to handling him.

So true.

Any coincidence that the winners/leaders we used to have in the squad all left the club – eg. Salgado, Nelsen, Samba.

Kean couldn’t manage them properly, unless it is the ‘young players’ he was ever so fond of talking about.

Well Black has said that the situation has been dealt with and Givet is in the squad for tomorrow's game. Said that Givet is sorry and explained his reasons and is happy with what Givet said, "He just wants to win" said Black.

Which suggests to me he was obviously fished off with some of his team mates and their efforts at defending, perhaps he felt the tactics were wrong or that the players simply weren't following the tactics in place.

On one hand it's good that he spots the weaknesses and can see when our defending is all over the shop and rightfully should be annoyed, but on the other hand it's not exactly ideal having a grown man throwing his toys out of the pram and refusing to play, good job he only plays for us and the Kean is hard done by train is still going otherwise the media probably would have picked up on it more, surprised they didn't claim he refused to play until the supporters apologise to Kean.

Link to Black quotes, http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/strong-squad-for-forest-match-403179.aspx

Well Black has said that the situation has been dealt with and Givet is in the squad for tomorrow's game. Said that Givet is sorry and explained his reasons and is happy with what Givet said, "He just wants to win" said Black.

Givet must have been tempted to top himself playing under Kean.

Him and language mate N'Zonzi had massive bust-ups with Kean, N'Zonzi got shipped off, now he has to play in a Kean-era defence (notice he was p-d off with Dann and Orr).

Maybe Simon could arrange for him to stay at the monastery for a bit...

I feel for Givet. His way of dealing with gripes are questionable, but he is one of very few who look like they care and play with some heart. I just wish could play alongside a center half capable of winning the first header. Because Dann cannot. Givet gets drawn out trying to win the first ball when he should be the man tasked with winning the second. His size will never allow him to be a really commanding center half. He is superb when he picks up the pieces like he used to do alongside Samba. I just wish he'd chin whoever has upset him rather than spit his dummy out at half time.

Archived