BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

About 17k imo. Wasn't 20k. Looked like a typical early round cup game attendance to me, but certainly more than in recent games (that's the opinion of a pal who's been more than me this season).

Not one of the players today seemed comfortable with the role they were asked to play. Givet didn't know whether to get out to the full back position or stay central. System was presumably meant to make us hard to beat but it somehow made us less compact defensively as players chased the ball like 5 year olds and nobody seemed to stick to their man and make sure he didn't get the ball in a good area. Richards tried to play here there and everywhere but the one place he was supposed to be, or one expects he would be mopst effective, off the main striker Rhodes. Rhodes was so isolated it's unfair to pick him out as underperforming. Subs were the wrong ones - no change of formation or type of player when the subs came on. Nunes can cross a ball can he? Well, not from where we were sitting as every one found the first man and was cut out. The crowd wanted to party - what a pity neither the caretaker manager - hope that's all he is - nor the players seemed to want to give us anything to celebrate. I'd rahter have lost 4-3 than watched that dross.

Well summarised Gumboots. That is just how I saw it as well. One thing above ALL else stood out for me; every single Rovers player that appeared on the pitch was showing a total lack of confidence. Yes ALL of them and this never changed from start to finish. And IMO that is not going to change, or our play improve until such time as a proper and experienced manager, along with a complete change of coaching team and methods is introduced. Nothing less will do it. Venkys please note and act accordingly.

I respectfully disagree. He can't cross to save his life and never has been able to.

Does it matter though as we dont seem to have anyone capable of heading it do we. No wonder Nunes kept crossing low almost along the floor rather than putting some height on it.It was laughable when Black sent Scott Dann up front for the final few minutes to try and head the ball.

• Backroom

Crosses don't just have to be headed in. A decent cross can be volleyed/half-volleyed into the net from the correct angle. A decent cross can also create a scramble leading to a goal.

I thought at the back-end of last season Orr might be half decent at crossing but this season has put paid to that notion. Chalk off the only attribute he could have brought to the team.

Does it matter though as we dont seem to have anyone capable of heading it do we. No wonder Nunes kept crossing low almost along the floor rather than putting some height on it.It was laughable when Black sent Scott Dann up front for the final few minutes to try and head the ball.

Rhodes scored quite a number of goals with his head for Huddersfield didn't he?

Rhodes scored quite a number of goals with his head for Huddersfield didn't he?

Here's a cracker:

A hat-trick of headers in eight minutes by striker Jordan Rhodes ensured Huddersfield overwhelmed Exeter.

http://news.bbc.co.u...v_2/8290692.stm

And another:

Jordan Rhodes scored four times as Huddersfield fought back to deny Sheffield Wednesday victory in a pulsating Yorkshire derby.

Rhodes headed in twice to give the Terriers a two-goal lead but Rob Jones's header and Reda Johnson's shot made it 2-2 after 28 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16124051

Here's a cracker:

A hat-trick of headers in eight minutes by striker Jordan Rhodes ensured Huddersfield overwhelmed Exeter.

http://news.bbc.co.u...v_2/8290692.stm

And another:

Jordan Rhodes scored four times as Huddersfield fought back to deny Sheffield Wednesday victory in a pulsating Yorkshire derby.

Rhodes headed in twice to give the Terriers a two-goal lead but Rob Jones's header and Reda Johnson's shot made it 2-2 after 28 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/16124051

Only thing one can add to this is that he must have been capable of getting away from his marker which is something we havent seen from Rhodes over the past two home games.

• Backroom

Seems like I chose a good game to miss. :( Had to get my fix so I went watching Slask Wroclaw on Sunday. Poor standard, but a terrific atmosphere and choreography from the Slask ultras.

Anyway, back to Rovers.. did we create a chance for Rhodes ?

He had a decent chance in the first half but went to ground and when he got to his feet the chance was all but gone

There wasn't much created for him but he certainly didn't make the most of what was

He had a decent chance in the first half but went to ground and when he got to his feet the chance was all but gone

There wasn't much created for him but he certainly didn't make the most of what was

Thanks, Tom. Its worrying that we don't appear to be able to utilise him correctly to get the best out of him. :(

• Backroom

Did you expect anything more, Zac? It's all well and good buying an £8m striker but if the service to him is p1ss-poor then he'll struggle, especially when he's still a developing lad. Under a decent, structured system Rhodes will flourish... but we'll only see that if our idiot overlords decide to do something intelligent for once in regards to their abused "baby" and actually appoint a proper manager.

So the feats of the leading goalscorer at the top level of english football over the last 2 decades (by an absolute mile) are down to 2 wingers he played with for about 25% of his career? And to say all his Rovers goals came from crosses is pretty inaccurate as well, I'd say about half were link-up play with his strike partner/created himself/smashed in from distance.

The way his career has developed so far, Rhodes will do well to emulate someone like Bobby Zamora. I really, really hope he proves me wrong but seeing the likes of Bikey, Woodgate, Johnson and Berra dominate him the last 2 home games has made me question the hype.

Our best time periods are when we have had out and out wingers ie Wilcox/Ripley, Pedersen/Bentley. Somebody at the club needs to realise this eventually.

+1 and it makes for a much better and more exciting spectacle too.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot that trying to batter the ball down the middle (especially against a team with clear height advantage at the back) just doesn't work. It requires skill, persistence and guile to open up play down the flanks, and to ensure that defenders are on their back foot, facing oncoming strikers who are anticipating the ball coming back from the bye-line or across at speed.

However, Rovers very rarely seem to employ managers who are capable of setting their team up with wingers as a key tactic.

Bring back Bentley and Hughes I say.. then you'd see what I mean.

So the feats of the leading goalscorer at the top level of english football over the last 2 decades (by an absolute mile) are down to 2 wingers he played with for about 25% of his career? And to say all his Rovers goals came from crosses is pretty inaccurate as well, I'd say about half were link-up play with his strike partner/created himself/smashed in from distance.

The way his career has developed so far, Rhodes will do well to emulate someone like Bobby Zamora. I really, really hope he proves me wrong but seeing the likes of Bikey, Woodgate, Johnson and Berra dominate him the last 2 home games has made me question the hype.

Exactly SKH. Quality shines out no matter what the players or service around them is.

Archived