BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I would have calmed down by now after this afternoon's debacle but I haven't.

Let's not delude ourselves, Kean was merely a symptom of the critical illness that runs right through the club. That said, his demise was a start.

Forget Shebby's bloody autograph hunt for a manager. Which manager worth his salt would want to involve himself with this shower of kean.

Unless serious surgery is performed by the owners and the club is cleansed of this parasitic rabble from top to bottom ASAP, the illness WILL prove critical.

Venkys, either eat humble pie, correct the glaringly obvious wrongs and financially back the club or Kean off.

Today was just pure garbage. We have actually managed to go backwards from Kean which I thought couldn't be possible. Why bring in a totally new system when you are a caretaker manager and try to re-invent yourselves?! Also, why play so defensively without taking any risks when you're trying to impress your bosses over a couple of games. Surely, they'd be more impressed with your ambition if you tried to win!

If you ask me the job is Black's already and that's why he's already making huge changes knowing he has time. Shebby will fail to deliver once again. Kean resigned didn't he Mr. Singh? Yes, that's right, he did.

The whole structure of the club is a disgrace and I fear we have not yet seen the last of the huge strand of lies and broken promises. Kean going was meant to be a new start, yet it's beginning to feel like the start of another Kean episode. GET IT SORTED SHEBBY!

Listening to Shebby on Radio Rovers it almost sounded that way, reading between the lines that is, He did not come out and state that but I got a nagging feeling that is what is going to happen. Path of least resistance if you ask me and a get back at the fans from the Witch in Pune. NOt saying that will happen but that interview concerned me a great deal that it is his job to throw away

• Backroom

So Rhodes should have had a clear penno in the first half in my opinion. He should also have been given a stone Waller against boro and I believe there was another good shout for one against forest. Now I don't know much about Rhodes previously but has he gained a reputation for going down easily in the past. Just wondered if that's why he's not getting the decisions now.

Problem is he always looks like he is waiting for any contact and goes down far too easily

The lad was isolated but needs to show more than he did today, he was quite lazy at times in closing players down as well.

Clearly talented but if he can't adjust to different styles it may end up as a bad purchase

• Backroom

NOt saying that will happen but that interview concerned me a great deal that it is his job to throw away

Well, the three games he's had have been pretty atrocious so outside of heavy defeats in all of them he couldn't have done much more to throw it away. We've looked worse than we were under Kean, and that takes some achievement. Black's attempt at tactical innovation has been laughable and ill-advised to say the least.

Problem is he always looks like he is waiting for any contact and goes down far too easily

The lad was isolated but needs to show more than he did today, he was quite lazy at times in closing players down as well.

Clearly talented but if he can't adjust to different styles it may end up as a bad purchase

Im sorry but why pay 8 million for a goal poacher type striker then ask him to play totally alien to what he's used to. Why not just try now and again to play to his strenghts ?

From what I saw from the 1st half he was unsteady on his feet on a few occasions (even when he had turned his man) and he wasn't the only one who wasn't closing players down

Im sorry but why pay 8 million for a goal poacher type striker then ask him to play totally alien to what he's used to. Why not just try now and again to play to his strenghts ?

I agree totally. Thing is with the exception of Robbo is the team set up to play to any player's strengths?

• Backroom

I agree that he seems that good when fed well we should set up around him but that may not happen and he will have to adapt, we saw what became of Kalinic who was touted as having similar attributes

As an aside is the Etuhu song from today the one that was heard at forest, the one today seemed to go like this:

'He's big and he's black and he came by canoe, Etuhuhuhu etuhuhu!'

Catchy tune - questionable lyrics!!!

I agree totally. Thing is with the exception of Robbo is the team set up to play to any player's strengths?

That's it mate, there's just isn't the right balance to the team. Tactics are taking over when really at home they just need to get at teams in this division. I think Wolves after 5 mins couldn't believe how we were sitting back letting them have the ball.

what a poor game, first game back since my kean exile, sat there for 90 minutes with hardly a thing to cheer, wolves fully deserved the 3 points, how blake missed that header i will never know, we had about a good 10 minute spell in the whole game, hope this means black is out of the running because he is as clueless as kean

I don't think most of our current players suit the positions they are in, albeit most don't suit playing in this high a division

I don't think it would be a case of square pegs in round holes to put Martin Olssen in center mid alongside pedersen at lest there would be some energy and willingness...........Murphy and Lowe v Pedersen and Ollsen.....its no contest

A winger with a liability at centre mid and that's not square pegs in round holes? And our squad is League 1 standard as well? Our best centre mid pairing should obviously include Etuhu......Your centre mid pairing would be annihilated.....we only got away with Dunn and Pedersen centre mid because we were playing a Swansea side who in 8 games had yet to score an away goal but still managed two and looked like scoring again until they got a player sent off.

This squad is not good enough no matter who we bring in as manager. Personally, if Venky's have the money, give the new manager the season to sort it out and get rid of the deadwood and allow him to bring in his own players and coaching staff. By not doing this in the summer I fear that we have wasted this season in terms of launching a promotion push. We have now played ten games and have yet to play well. Far from dominating the division we have been second best in the majority of these games and even poor sides look capable of taking points of us.

I respect your opinion Parson don't get me wrong, but in your view which of our players are good enough for this league? It sounds like from some, Rhodes and Nuno Gomes are the only real ones to have consistently performed.....so are you suggesting we buy another 15 or so players in January? Do you not find it a bit strange that the vast majority of our players have performed well in their career prior to coming to us? Or is that just a massive coincidence? This is not directed solely at you, rather everyone who thinks our squad is poor for this league.

This squad is very poor even by championship standards .

The legacy left by kean is going to take years to overcome , his judgment of a footballer was appalling ....

He completely wasted 4 transfer windows , after each one we were weaker ..

What about his first 6 months in the job? Lost absolutely nobody, added Jermaine Jones and Santa Cruz.

We were significantly worse in all areas.....or is it a case of managers being able to make players perform better but not the opposite? (Even though that doesn't really make any sense).

During his RR interview Shebby spoke of a new, more positive atmosphere at Ewood. How players were talking more to him, other staff suddenly felt better etc. the clear implication being with Kean removed suddenly the whole club was lifted.

Shebby went on to say the season starts here, this is our first match of the season. So that's another slate wiped clean.

Given his very positive pre-match remarks I expected to see a team buzzing with enthusiasm, released from the Kean regime and ready to prove a point. Sadly this isn't what we saw on the field and I can't help but feel it was yet more Shebby bluster.

Yesterday's performance revealed a team lacking passion, desire and motivation each of which one could have excused under Kean. Yesterday was a big day and the players and management failed to deliver - again.

For me midfield is the key and needs to be completely rebuilt. There is no stopper, no playmaker and the wrong players to carry and fetch the ball. I don't make scapegoats but Murphy is a major part of the problem, he should not be at the club. He's clearly not interested, not capable and very slow. He should be the first to be replaced; playing an ageing Dunn would at least mean 11 contributing to the game instead of 10.

For most of the second half we were reduced to long, aimless crosses easily defended by Wolves, especially the No.14. We won nothing in the air worth mentioning. Not once did we seriously test the Wolves defence or keeper in the second half.

• Backroom

I agree that he seems that good when fed well we should set up around him but that may not happen and he will have to adapt, we saw what became of Kalinic who was touted as having similar attributes

As an aside is the Etuhu song from today the one that was heard at forest, the one today seemed to go like this:

He's 6ft 2 and he came by canoe... etuhuhuhuhu etuhuhu.

He's big and he's black and he came by kayak etuhuhuhu etuhuhuhu!

Great song

For me midfield is the key and needs to be completely rebuilt. There is no stopper, no playmaker and the wrong players to carry and fetch the ball. I don't make scapegoats but Murphy is a major part of the problem, he should not be at the club. He's clearly not interested, not capable and very slow. He should be the first to be replaced; playing an ageing Dunn would at least mean 11 contributing to the game instead of 10.

From what I witnessed yesterday , you are spot on ...

He looked well and truly finished ...

I have to agree with the Murphy comments. I was very excited by his signing as I thought he would give us done creativity, but as of yet he's offered us nothing at all. Sounds like he took some abuse when leaving the match with his wife and kids which is out of order.

Maybe the international break will be a good chance for him to get some extra training under his belt as he looked very unfit. Black should have them all in for extra sessions.

Is that seriously a song? No wonder we have morons who boo our own players.

Half of the problem is that these players have been managed (I use that term loosely) by best mate Stevie. These players have put in performance after performance of minimal effort and are conditioned to loose. They need a rocket up their arses and need to give 100%. They are capable of much better but simply aren't taking the game by the scruff of the neck. I'm warming to the idea of Roy Kean to instill a bit of fear in the dressing room.

I respect your opinion Parson don't get me wrong, but in your view which of our players are good enough for this league? It sounds like from some, Rhodes and Nuno Gomes are the only real ones to have consistently performed.....so are you suggesting we buy another 15 or so players in January? Do you not find it a bit strange that the vast majority of our players have performed well in their career prior to coming to us? Or is that just a massive coincidence? This is not directed solely at you, rather everyone who thinks our squad is poor for this league.

The point I was trying to make is that we have assembled a squad without giving sufficient thought to how it will work as a team. On paper the individuals should be better than they perform in matches but the simple fact is that they are not. We have played ten games and been second best in the overwhelming majority of them. Murphy was signed as the playmaker and has struggled to make any impression. The opposition are simply closing him down quickly and he hasn't got the legs to do anything but go backwards. Do you honestly believe that there is another club in the country who will pay him what we are paying him over the next two years? Sadly we are going to be stuck with him, just like we were with Grella, only we are paying Murphy twice as much! Rhodes is a goalpoacher but we don't have the players around him to create chances for him. The players look completely out of their depth at times, wanting too much time on the ball, something you don't get in this division. Compare this squad with the one that Souness got out of this division and you will see what I mean. This is a results business and after ten games we are six points off the top and five off second place. We have scored three goals in the last four games. We have taken two points out of the last twelve. Rhodes has been a passenger in the last three games because of the lack of service and opposition managers have quickly worked out that if you cut off the supply the lad isn't good enough to create anything for himself.

I must be honest and say that after the opening few games I actually believed that Kean would get us up because the quality in this division is poor. However, having seen more matches I now realise that many of our players seem ill suited to the requirements of this League. Black was quite right when he said we don't have the type of centre-forward that is needed at this level. Best might have been that man but he got injured. Instead of signing a similar player we signed Rhodes who is a completely different type of striker. Surely somebody on the coaching staff should have spotted that a target man was required if we were to get the best out of Rhodes.

Shebby has said that automatic promotion is a must this season. If that's the case the owners had better be prepared to get out the cheque book in January and bring one or two on loan in the meantime. Above all we need a manager who can make the best out of a squad which, at the moment, has looked distinctly average.

but if you had offered me 16 points from 10 games and no Steve kean at the start of the season then I'd have snapped you're hand off.

Performances have been woeful but with a new manager coming in we can hopefully improve that. Losing today is probably a blessing in disguise. I feared if we had won then Black would have been offered the managers job. That would have killed off our promotion chances.

Remember, we have also had a tough fixture list. Leicester, wolves , Middlesbrough, hull, forest, leeds are all promotion contenders. That's 6 out of ten games against top teams.

Agree with majority of your post but never understand this promotion contender malarkey - at this stage of the season all the clubs are promotion contenders - especially in this division , except maybe Peterborough and us on yesterdays performance and prior ( as we are getting worse game by game if that is possible)

I have to agree with the Murphy comments. I was very excited by his signing as I thought he would give us done creativity, but as of yet he's offered us nothing at all. Sounds like he took some abuse when leaving the match with his wife and kids which is out of order.

Maybe the international break will be a good chance for him to get some extra training under his belt as he looked very unfit. Black should have them all in for extra sessions.

Black said the players needed a rest during the break!!!!

The point I was trying to make is that we have assembled a squad without giving sufficient thought to how it will work as a team. On paper the individuals should be better than they perform in matches but the simple fact is that they are not.....

...automatic promotion is a must this season. If that's the case the owners had better be prepared to get out the cheque book in January and bring one or two on loan in the meantime. Above all we need a manager who can make the best out of a squad which, at the moment, has looked distinctly average.

This with knobs on. :)

If somebody were to say to me that after 10 games you'll be 6 points off the leaders and Kean will no longer be manager I would have taken that in a second.

Yesterday, was absolute garbage but it just about guarantees Black won't get the job. Which is very important.

It's crucial we get the new man ASAP now, so he has the chance to bed in and work with the players ahead of some very winnable fixtures.

IMO the main issue with Murphy is that every team targets him _ and because of his lack of pace and dribbling ability he is very easy to mark out of a game. Lowe seems to have got some stick on here - but he was one of the few players trying to pass and move which is essential to get the best out of Murphy. If we are to play three in centre midfield - why not Dunn, Murphy and Lowe - granted Lowe would have to do a lot of running to make up for the two old timers - but at least it would be more difficult to mark both of them out of the game.

Archived