BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers

To be fair its sang in retaliation to the "Blackburns a sh1t hole, I want to go home" chant, witty in that context for me.

I think the Blackburn a sh!t hole chant is even more cringey and idiotic! Especially when its tramps from the likes of Boro singing it.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget the chants, the football was dire. First game this season and my view is that Murphy is no more than a passenger.Unlikely to change tactics in a week and thefitness levels are poor. Murphy was a passenger, no contribution, I cannot believe what kean has done to Olsson,in respect of his attacking game.This will take time to alter. Need a good strong manager.

Black's after match comments are just bull - 'we've not got the players to score goals' hmmmm. Well so far we'd been scoring goals for fun. I think it was probably more due to the fact he played 6!!!! defenders on the same pitch with a gap of about 40 yards to anyone that was remotely attack minded.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but there was a Wolves fan on 606 with Alan Green this evening who commented on how angry everyone inside Ewood Park was on Saturday. He wasn't being overly critical (unlike an earlier caller who could not wait to get a dig in favouring Kean when his name came up during the call) but Green is one of the few journalists who can wrap his head around the chaos at the club. He set the guy straight.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already but there was a Wolves fan on 606 with Alan Green this evening who commented on how angry everyone inside Ewood Park was on Saturday. He wasn't being overly critical (unlike an earlier caller who could not wait to get a dig in favouring Kean when his name came up during the call) but Green is one of the few journalists who can wrap his head around the chaos at the club. He set the guy straight.

I mentioned this after the match. Its understandable really, but there did seem to be a sense that the crowd were only one step away from getting very very disgruntled. After so long suffering Kean i guess it's impossible to have a dramatic swing in terms of getting the feel good factor back into Ewood. If nothing else, i think it just proves that a completely fresh start is required in terms of the management of the side. I actually don't mind Eric Black as a bloke. His post match comments about Jordan Rhodes being knackered were pretty honest. Something we've not had enough of! But despite this, i think it's obvious the club needs a change and i'm afraid Black is guilty by association to Kean and needs to go.

The performance was crap on the whole. I thought Fabio Nunes looked bright when he came on. Just a shame he can't manage to take a corner properly. Murphy looks like he's sick of the place already. Kazim Richards can be a player at this level but he looked understandably off the pace. Orr was bang average. Olsson clearly wants to be elsewhere and didn't look too interested. Dann and Givet worry me because neither of them are competent at winning the first header. The 3-5-2 system or whatever it was looked a work in progress. Both full backs didn't offer enough going forward. Rhodes tried hard against two center halves who towered over him. He did take up some clever positions but the ball into him was always in the air and he was never likely to get much joy. He always looks to get between the center half and the full back and if we were able to play him in along the ground he'd look much more dangerous. Jason Lowe shouldn't be in the side yet. Despite a full season under his belt he looks very niaive and some of his decision making is well off the standard required.

Despite a good summer spend up, the incoming manager might have a bigger task on his hands than he realises.

Does anyone not think the crowd was slightly deflated in the official attendance figures? I was sat in the BBE lower looking around the groud it was significantly better than the previous home matches. The Darwen End hold 8k i think 3 either side and 2 in the top tier, now I would say the bottom tier was about 85% full so thats around 5100. Riverside was about 70% full so thats 4500, Jack Walker Stand I would estimate at 55% full so thats 4400 then we have the BBE. I cant guess on that as I didnt see the top tier or the lower tier but the lower tier certainly looked pretty much there for me so lets say another 5500 in the lower tier plus what ever is in the top and I reckon we broke the 20,000 barrier. Anyone agree?

Very poor performance again, lacking guile, creativity and ideas. We knew early season results and league positions were deceptive and that we had enjoyed more than our fair share of luck in a number of the games. Results and performances in the last four games have not come as any suprise.

It must surely be clear to all that the players we have recruited are not as good as some have been making out and that we now need a competent and qualified manager to maximise the results obtained from this group. Time is of the essence and having obtained 2 points only from the last 12 available there is no more time to waste. Black and Hendry must be relieved of their duties and a qualified and respected management team installed as soon as possible.

Due to the timing of Kean's departure it was always going to be difficult getting someone in place quickly and Black has therefore had the chance to stake his claim to the position. Although pleased he has immediately considered our defensive frailties and worked to mimimise these issues, the formation, substitutions and players selected at weekend were not successful and we somehow played like a team that had just met each other and been thrown together.

Time for a clear out and some new ideas and a fresh direction.

Does anyone not think the crowd was slightly deflated in the official attendance figures? I was sat in the BBE lower looking around the groud it was significantly better than the previous home matches. The Darwen End hold 8k i think 3 either side and 2 in the top tier, now I would say the bottom tier was about 85% full so thats around 5100. Riverside was about 70% full so thats 4500, Jack Walker Stand I would estimate at 55% full so thats 4400 then we have the BBE. I cant guess on that as I didnt see the top tier or the lower tier but the lower tier certainly looked pretty much there for me so lets say another 5500 in the lower tier plus what ever is in the top and I reckon we broke the 20,000 barrier. Anyone agree?

A little overestimated there i think. Darwen End Lower had approx 1,400 from Wolves and prob similar in the Rovers side. BBE lower was about 4k. The crowd seemed about right to me for once lol

I was very dissappointed with Murphy. As a captain he should be leading by example, not throwing hissy fits in the first 15 mins because a pass didn't go straight to his feet. Apart from 10 mins in the 2nd half he was dreadful.

I felt sorry for Rhodes, he had no service at all. We were crying out for some width. Olsson, Richards, Nunes could have been blasting down the wings whipping a few crosses in. The only time we looked dangerous was when Olsson had a go at their full back.

The defense was way to deep. At times Dann was almost in his own penalty box when the midfield was on the half way line. As for Orr, he doesn't have a clue! I used to find Emerton frustrating, but he was 10 times the player of Orr.

I am 100% sure Black isn't the man to sort this lot out. We need a very strong manager, and quickly.

Even if you beasted them for two weeks solid, they wouldn't get back up to scratch. In fact it would knacker them for the next game.

By all means beast them, but it will take time to get the fitness back. Double training sessions a must while pitches aren't boggy.

After the Forest game I said that the system that Black played didn't suit the players he had in the side. It was even more obvious during the first half on Saturday that Orr and Olssen hadn't a clue when to go forward and when to sit. From my seat in the family stand I lost count of the number of times that they both should have really pushed on in wide areas but didn't. In fact on some occasions they didn't even get over the half way line when we were in posession. At least Black changed it in the second half and went to a formation that at least suited our play and players. The Wolves manager must have either been at Forest or have a good scouting system because they just stifled us in midfield and didn't give our players any time on the ball.

Overall it was disappointing but it was fine for me personally because for the first time in a long while I didn't feel the anger that welled up inside me on so many occasions last season.

.................I heard Black's interview was utterly bizarre, trying to lay the blame elsewhere.

Utter nonsense I would say, I couldn't believe what i was hearing

'we don't have the type of strikers you need in this division to score goals'

Er... how come Rhodes and Gomes have got 5 and 4 goals this season.

'We're asking Jordan Rhodes to play in an unfamiliar role'

Why ask him to play in that way then?

'If we're going to play the ball upfront early, which I'm more than happy to do, then it's going to come straight back'

Why did we try to play that way then?

'Poor Jordan, it''s wrong what we've asked him to do' ???

'If you kick it up front to Jordan Rhodes, Nuno Gomes, David Dunn, it's gonna come straight back to you, I don't see there's another option'

'We need a presence up front or systems don't matter'

I found this a very depressing interview too. Compare it to this preview piece in the LT where CKR's return was going to provide the "presence" Rhodes needs alongside him:

http://www.lancashir...vers_caretaker/

Here are a few snippets:

"Black said: “It’d be massive to get him back, absolutely massive. Not taking away anything from the players who have played but we have had to adapt to not having a real presence."

"Bringing Kaz in would bring something extra into the mix. He is a presence and he plays off the back four. He wants to play higher in the game."

This is the bit that gets me. He said it in the interview as well:

“The strikers we have, we kick the ball up to them and it comes straight back, that is the type of strikers we have."

What a limited set of tactics he seems to believe in! Hoofing the ball aimlessly out of defence and giving the opponents another go has been a source of frustration for many a long while now (even before Kean - Kalinic and Roberts never won any of them either!). But remember those rare exhilarating moments when JJones (and even PJones) used to carry the ball out of defence and drive into the opponents half? Or even the lightning bursts down the wing of Marcus O when he first started to impress - turning defence into counter-attack? Or Tugay delivering a sublime defence splitting pass?

This guy seems to have bolstered the defence at the expense of limiting any creative options in attack. All I'm looking for is a bit of variety - even if we don't have the same quality of player anymore.

After the Forest game I said that the system that Black played didn't suit the players he had in the side. It was even more obvious during the first half on Saturday that Orr and Olssen hadn't a clue when to go forward and when to sit. From my seat in the family stand I lost count of the number of times that they both should have really pushed on in wide areas but didn't. In fact on some occasions they didn't even get over the half way line when we were in posession. At least Black changed it in the second half and went to a formation that at least suited our play and players. The Wolves manager must have either been at Forest or have a good scouting system because they just stifled us in midfield and didn't give our players any time on the ball.

Overall it was disappointing but it was fine for me personally because for the first time in a long while I didn't feel the anger that welled up inside me on so many occasions last season.

Orr in particular was in no mans land when we had possession. And when defending Hanley and Orr were constantly confused over who should pick who up.

We were better second half, but your right, Wolves had us sussed.

Orr in particular was in no mans land when we had possession. And when defending Hanley and Orr were constantly confused over who should pick who up.

We were better second half, but your right, Wolves had us sussed.

I agree with both of the last two posters. This formation calls upon the wing backs to push up the field and wide when we are in possession, something which they both failed to do against Forest and then Wolves. Partly off their own initiative, but also by the centre backs, who should be screaming at them to move, with the centre backs taking responsibility themselves for marking the opposition attackers. We have Olssen who can sprint and overlap but cannot cross the ball, and Orr who has little pace although he can put in a good cross, yet doesn't get forward enough to do so. We are left with the centre backs in possession with little options forward and wide other than to hoist the ball forward to Rhodes who gallently gets pushed off the ball.

No, holds 3000 in each top tiers of bbe and darwen end. and 5000 in lower tiers.

JW lower was less than 50% full as was the upper tier with galring gaps in both the riverside and blackburn end. I though 17k was pretty generous

Archived