BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager Part 2

Kamy100

499 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following managers would you accept

Bohinen doesn't know anything more than an average joe in norway about solskjær and a potential move so i wouldnt use him as a source. Its just a general opinion in norway that he won't leave norway at this moment, maybe it could be possible in december-february but most people think he will stay for at least 1 more year.

If blackburn or bolton were to make a move for solskjær he would either deny it or consider it. if he were to consider it he would get his wife and kids opinion and then sir alex opinion. Then he would make a decision.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers' new bid for TS, according to the Scum.

http://www.thesun.co...tion-bonus.html

Another quote with the 2m figure.. madness paying someone with no management experience those sort of sums (top 20 worldwide wage wise and that includes international managers)... however I reckon he may be a decent enough (and potentially excellent) manager, does have more about than most (but would still be out of my top five choices).

We have very little to base Sherwood's potential managerial abilities on.

Unless he's managed before, the only way of knowing how he might be as manager is seeing him day to day at the training ground.

Yes he's well regarded in his post, but so were Harford and Kidd. Even Steve Kean had an approach from Phil Scolari to join his team at Chelsea.

So when people say "I think Sherwood will be a good manager", it's a statement that's based on very little except that he was the captain when we won the title.

I didn't really rate Sherwood as a player, at least when compared to most of the others in the Championship winning team, and consider him very lucky indeed to have a Premier League winners medal, and being the skipper at that. He wasn't that good.

Further, when he agitated to leave us, like a lot of the mercenaries did, he certainly burnt his bridges as far as I'm concerned.

However, I will get behind the team with him in charge, and to some extent also, you've got to think (or at least, it's possible to think) that Venkys (assuming they really are the controlling owners, which I'm far from convinced about) are actually "trying" to make it up with the fans by giving them something they think they might like, whether or not it's really good for the club. They are obviously hopeful it will work out, but are also trying to court popularity - and it's hard to criticise them for that when they've ignored the fans, and worse, for the whole period they've been in charge. In fact, they've done nothing but sh*t in our faces from day one. If appointing someone like Sherwood is an acknowledgment of that, I'm prepared to say to them that OK, I accept your current good intentions, but you've got some way to go to fully make up for past mistakes and behaviour.

So, for everybody's sake, it "deserves" to come off. Only thing is, sentiment is rarely rewarded in sport. It's wonderful when it does ... but it's unlikely.

However, I will get behind the team with him in charge, and to some extent also, you've got to think (or at least, it's possible to think) that Venkys (assuming they really are the controlling owners, which I'm far from convinced about) are actually "trying" to make it up with the fans by giving them something they think they might like, whether or not it's really good for the club. They are obviously hopeful it will work out, but are also trying to court popularity - and it's hard to criticise them for that when they've ignored the fans, and worse, for the whole period they've been in charge. In fact, they've done nothing but sh*t in our faces from day one. If appointing someone like Sherwood is an acknowledgment of that, I'm prepared to say to them that OK, I accept your current good intentions, but you've got some way to go to fully make up for past mistakes and behaviour.

Appointing Sherwood is taking the easy way out, they're just sticking another unproven name in front of the fans (like they did the last time), with the only distinguishing feature being that Sherwood captained our best side ever so some fans are lapping it up.

What they should do is appoint someone who knows what they're doing, who has managed a football club before. Sam Allardyce wasn't the most popular choice but most of us will agree he was the right one at the time, especially considering what followed.

I'm not "lapping it up."

I agree a proven manager would have been the way to go. (Curbishley would have been my choice.) However, up to now, you could view Venky's ownership not only as bizarre and grossly incompetent, but openly hostile to the club, town and the fans.

So assuming that they aren't getting an inexperienced manager in order to bully him, or even to accelerate our decline (and I wouldn't rule either out) then I'm prepared to see the appointment of Sherwood, someone with good links to the club compared to other inexperienced candidates out there, as an olive branch to supporters i.e. a belated recognition that they need to get us on board, rather than, as I stated above, a continuance of their policy of sh*tting in our faces which is all they've done up to now. In that sense, it's a step forward.

Or at least, it's "possible" to view it as a small step forward. I'm prepared to take that view.

I'm not "lapping it up."

I agree a proven manager would have been the way to go. (Curbishley would have been my choice.) However, up to now, you could view Venky's ownership not only as bizarre and grossly incompetent, but openly hostile to the club, town and the fans.

So assuming that they aren't getting an inexperienced manager in order to bully him, or even to accelerate our decline (and I wouldn't rule either out) then I'm prepared to see the appointment of Sherwood, someone with good links to the club compared to other inexperienced candidates out there, as an olive branch to supporters i.e. a belated recognition that they need to get us on board, rather than, as I stated above, a continuance of their policy of sh*tting in our faces which is all they've done up to now. In that sense, it's a step forward.

Or at least, it's "possible" to view it as a small step forward. I'm prepared to take that view.

My main problem with that is that promotion in the next two seasons is absolutely paramount. After that the parachute payments start drying out, and our revenue stream from our gates is so small that we will struggle to compete financially with the majority of the Championship.

So really, I'm not bothered about gestures etc, and the appointment of a manager should never be an "olive branch". The only thing I really care about is results on the pitch and the future of our club, and appointing someone with a considerably worse experience level than the last manager had is putting that into extreme jeopardy.

I didn't really rate Sherwood as a player, at least when compared to most of the others in the Championship winning team, and consider him very lucky indeed to have a Premier League winners medal, and being the skipper at that. He wasn't that good.

Sherwood was an excellent player for Rovers - one of the best midfield players we've had at the club. That doesn't mean he will be a good manager however and the appointment if it happens would represent another outrageous and unnecessary gamble by the owners.

Unless he's managed before, the only way of knowing how he might be as manager is seeing him day to day at the training ground.

Yes he's well regarded in his post, but so were Harford and Kidd. Even Steve Kean had an approach from Phil Scolari to join his team at Chelsea.

So when people say "I think Sherwood will be a good manager", it's a statement that's based on very little except that he was the captain when we won the title.

What credentials had Howard Kendall?

Or dare I say king kenny at Liverpool?

What credentials had Howard Kendall?

Or dare I say king kenny at Liverpool?

For every one of those you can name, I can name dozens more risky inexperienced appointments that didn't work.

Also, Kenny was brought up in the famous "boot room" tradition at Liverpool, future managers and coaches would be groomed during their playing days.

My main problem with that is that promotion in the next two seasons is absolutely paramount. After that the parachute payments start drying out, and our revenue stream from our gates is so small that we will struggle to compete financially with the majority of the Championship.

So really, I'm not bothered about gestures etc, and the appointment of a manager should never be an "olive branch". The only thing I really care about is results on the pitch and the future of our club, and appointing someone with a considerably worse experience level than the last manager had is putting that into extreme jeopardy.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying!

Remember, however, who we are dealing with here and what they might have done, and why they might have done it.

All I'm saying is that if they appointed Sherwood, it will have involved slightly different thought processes on their part than, for instance, the utterly mindless thought processes they had in sacking Sam, appointing Kean, losing (forcing out) Williams and Finn etc. I agree, even so, that the thought processes are still not what's best for the club - but at least, in their minds at least, they "might" be trying to make amends, which hasn't been part of their modus operandi to date, and that is a position from which it's possible to move forward.

It might well turn out badly, but if it has been motivated by conciliatory considerations rather than hostile or "couldn't care less" ones as previously displayed, it's something we should be prepared to acknowledge rather than simply keeping up the warfare when Venky's are (possibly, I don't really know) declaring the war is over. That, at least, would be a step forward.

I don't actually know if hostilities are over or not. I don't even know if they truly own the club, or control the club, or care about the club. Nobody knows. At least, if they appoint Sherwood, although I wouldn't, and you wouldn't, and many others wouldn't, they are showing it's not all about "them" and they "might" (just might) be thinking about "us" and trying, in their way, to give something back. OK, still not thinking in the way we really want or more importantly, desperately need, but it is possible to view it positively, bearing in mind everything else they've done up to now which has shown no other consideration than their own seeming determination to deliberately ruin the club and alienate the supporters at the same time.

For every one of those you can name, I can name dozens more risky inexperienced appointments that didn't work.

Also, Kenny was brought up in the famous "boot room" tradition at Liverpool, future managers and coaches would be groomed during their playing days.

And Shirley hasn't been? It appears like he has and looks like he is very well respected. I would rather see an experienced man at the helm with Shirley as assistant but he'd be a better choice than a lot of other managers I could mention. He's been trained at a fairly successful Premier League club for quite a while now (since 2008)...

And Shirley hasn't been? It appears like he has and looks like he is very well respected. I would rather see an experienced man at the helm with Shirley as assistant but he'd be a better choice than a lot of other managers I could mention. He's been trained at a fairly successful Premier League club for quite a while now (since 2008)...

I agree with most of that, the only proviso is that the bootroom boys were being groomed specifically to take over at Liverpool with the Liverpool mentality and culture, not sure if Spurs and ours is the same in that respect so adapting quickly will be key

Oh dear...

No he hasnt, that example is nothing like the Boot Room. Theres nothing to indicate Spurs were grooming him as a future manager.

No he hasnt, that example is nothing like the Boot Room. Theres nothing to indicate Spurs were grooming him as a future manager.

Really? Because I can find multiple articles that say exactly that...

"And Spurs are hopeful that he will stay, despite being overlooked for a role as technical director at White Hart Lane. The former Tottenham midfielder has a strong relationship with chairman Daniel Levy and is being groomed to eventually take over as head coach of the north London club having been appointed by Harry Redknapp four years ago."

Do a google search and you can find them easily enough.

If anyone still needs convincing about how tabloid journalism works this is the proof.

Kean out of work, his agent wants publicity for him etc. journalists briefed, headlines appear.....and many people see it as credible reporting.

Interesting article in the Mail about the next manager, which also states our debt is (at least) 36 million?

http://www.dailymail...pportunity.html

Assuming the figure is correct it would be even greater, up to £44m - "debts of £36m INCREASED with the striker's £8m transfer from Huddersfield"

A little ray of hope...been at Universal Studios in LA today and saw Avram Grant in the queue behind me. Casually asked him about him and the Rovers job...he's definitely not anywhere near the running. :)

And no, as ridiculous as that sounds it actually happened...after the tour/ride loads of people mobbed him for photos. He was actually really nice...now to find an actual manager.

People are judging the job he has done at Spurs, bringing through young players and transfer recruitment. One major, major plus to Sherwood joining would be him walking out the door with years of player scouting under his arm and all the networking that comes with it. Tactically we know nothing about him, fair assumption to make he will have been influenced by spurs style

My main problem with that is that promotion in the next two seasons is absolutely paramount.

I have accepted that no promotion equals venkys doing one, might be better in the long run?

Archived