BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager Part 2

Kamy100

499 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following managers would you accept

I read a book recently called 'Soccernomics'. It was very enlightening. It said that managers need time to do their thing as most managers only get 18 months in charge before someone new comes in and changes everything. Venkys appear to have heeded this advice re Kean. Of course, I suspect that it would never have occurred to the authors of Soccernomics that a team would hire a mananger like Kean.

I also expect Venkys to follow the 'Soccernomics' view that clubs hire managers too quickly and should take their time about it. Again, it would never occur to the authors of Soccernomics someone might heed their advice and take their time, thinking that this would mean that they made the right decision.

I fully expect Venkys to procrastinate and then make the 'wrong' decision anyway.

I don't think the present regime would know a good manager if he bit them on the backside.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the numerous years that I have supported the Rovers my first hero was Bryan Douglas, my second Alan Shearer. No doubt in my mind that they, above, all the great players to have worn the blue and white halves, were the greatest players I have had the pleasure to witness playing for our club.

When it comes to appointing a manager to guide this club onward and hopefully upward, would you pick Bryan Douglas or Mike England for example. I think not. Nor me, regardless what I thought of them as players.

So I have to wonder why so many think Shearer might be the answer to our prayers, on the sole pretext that he played for us. Like so many greats before him he has no managerial experience to speak of, other than the handful of games at Newcastle already mentioned. NUFC was his hometown club, and even he couldn't inspire them to an escape from relegation. Why do folks think he would inspire our lot? Great player, definitely yes. Manager, I don't think so.

If Pardew were to leave Newcastle tomorrow, how many magpies would chose their local hero Alan to replace him? Not many me thinks.

All this young up and coming manager business coming out of the club is total rubbish for me. The criteria is to get promoted. We need an experienced strong manager to get us there.

Mad Mick is the man for the job.

LeChuck asked me what I have against Shearer.

It's not so much against Shearer himself but more the deluded myth that he's the next Cloughie based solely on his playing career. It's been proven time and time again that great players don't necessarily translate into great managers.

Like I said, Shearer is an egomaniac who believes he can walk into a top job because of his reputation as a player. He's had chances to enter into management, such as at Cardiff, and didn't take them. It wouldn't be that bad if the guy actually had *something* about him, but he's constantly exposed his ignorance of the modern game.

People keep mentioning his leadership qualities. Well Newcastle had a squad more than capable of staying up in 2009 but short on fight. Irrespective of results & tactics, they still went down like a Saigon whore. If that's a taster of Shearer's biggest strength then he can keep it.

Here's a game: How many pages will this thread make before Venky's finally hire someone?

Knowing Venkys we will be well into page 80-100 in the "Next Manager Part 4" thread. More rumours etc will cause havoc on this board like the days of Nicko and his teens.

Any truth in the rumour that the senior cast at Ewood and Brockhall are temporarily moving their regular place of employment for a couple of months to King Georges Hall?

In December and January its Mother Goose and the Magical Circus............

this would be completely the wrong time to gamble on an unproven manager. Has Shearer even taken all his coaching badges? Make me laugh that people don't want Dickov but want Al just based on his playing days.

Ha ha don't say that i've put some crafty bets on some of the lesser managers with good odds :)

the more i read that shaw and agnew are involved (yes i know but its a lesser of two evils) the more hopeful i am that shebby's criteria is just his own opinion and not a fact, if agnew and shaw can convince the brothers grimm and her witchness that going for experience is key then hopefully we wont end up with singh's ludicrous idea of a rookie just to satisfy his own ends

the more i read that shaw and agnew are involved (yes i know but its a lesser of two evils) the more hopeful i am that shebby's criteria is just his own opinion and not a fact, if agnew and shaw can convince the brothers grimm and her witchness that going for experience is key then hopefully we wont end up with singh's ludicrous idea of a rookie just to satisfy his own ends

Is this the same Agnew that backed Kean to the very end and was involved in the Team Kean war against the supporters? and that makes your more confident that the right person will be appointed in the best interests of the club?

As I have no confidence I think 113 pages and a New Manager Part 3 thread opening before a manager comes in.

I actually believe that the Internet will have seized to be the de facto communications medium by the time it's all sorted out. And no, don't ask, I don't know what will replace it. If I did do you think I'd be on here? No, I'd be out there patenting it and preparing to buy the club back. Reminds me, I must eat more cheese before bed.

There are some people on here who need to wind there necks in,recruiting a new manager does take a certain amount of skill and expertise but you also need a massive amount of luck.We all know the Venkys track record and I would love new owners,but whatever we think they ain't going anywhere,so we have to back them,I know the feelings of many on here don't rate Shaw Agnew and Shebby,but I think we have a better chance of a decent manager with these instead of last time when Venkys were getting advice from a certain agent.

Cast your minds back to Mike Ashley when he first took over at Newcastle,Joe Kinnear,Chris Hughton Newcastle fans were in uproar and when Pardew was installed as manager,the fans were going mental,what happened is history.

A little nearer home my idol Sir Jack Walker,getting Kenny what a master stroke,but what happened after that Ray Harford bad choice,then Roy Hodgson didn't last long,and then Kidd,disaster.

So whoever they come up with we have to give them a chance,so to all the moaners on here,that's about 70%,just think whoever we get will not be anyway as bad as Kean.

Ps just seen Sherwood looking for a house in Wilpshire...

1 / 3 on on SkyBet !! That's a bit confident !

4/6 and 7/10 at ladbrokes and betvictor.. looking like the money is all being thown at Sherwood.. a leak or just wishful thinking? Daft thing is that if stories are right (and in this case it def looks like there is fire behind that smoke) it is pretty obvious that Sherwood was Shebbys big target from day one.. hell a fair few stories started before Kean left in relation to Sherwood when Shebby was at the spurs game back on the 22nd Sept.. and Shebby used his great little "no comment" again today when asked if we are approaching Sherwood..

If it is Sherwood who's appointed, he has my full support. Everything you read about his methods, the time he spends trying to improve players, his demeanour, the respect he has at Spurs is all very positive.

His link to Rovers for me doesn't mean as much as what I hope he will bring to a squad short of everything in practice but pretty good on paper. Okay, it's his first job and I would prefer an experienced man, but taking a risk on Sherwood at least seems like a calculated move rather then hiring Black, for example.

Archived