SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley & Blackpool away

Hughesy

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://boards.footym...&mid=2113794122

''The older generation of supporter ( of which I am one) know that as a club we were, are and always have been vastly superior.'' :wacko:

The deluded minds of our little neighbours in Claret 'n' boo,they are like that unwanted skin boil that appears now and again..just need a good lancing as usual!

The deluded minds of our little neighbours in Claret 'n' boo,they are like that unwanted skin boil that appears now and again..just need a good lancing as usual!

Nicely quoted. Read the whole thread, fairly realistic and honest about where we are now and where we've been.

If anyone's deluded, it's not been us for years.

You can only quote what has been posted, these from the posts directly following the one you picked up on:

"I think they look a lot stronger than us and will muscle us off the ball quite easily."

"Absolutely we're good enough to beat 'em, and they're good enough to beat us. It's all set for a closely fought Derby match.

Let's get the next three matches out of the way first though eh?"

And this one, still a little deluded in parts I will grant you but nonetheless a decent rallying call:

"I remember listening to Radio Lancs just as they'd won the prem back in 1995.

A B******d fan came on spouting that, "there is now only one team in Lancashire" and other teams( us,PNE and Blackpool) would eventually whither on the vine and the fans of these clubs would slowly migrate to Blackburn.

He also claimed that they were now the main rivals to Man U and that the traditional rivalry with Burnley was a a thing of the past.Jack Walkers money would see to that.

He was serious.

And, for few months, I was beginning to think it was possible.

Then came along Trelleborgs!!!!!

Since then slowly but surely we have hauled ourselves back up the leagues and even had a taste of "The promised land"

At the same time its B******ds who've been whithering on the vine.

So now we come to the derby.

On paper they are a better side. But that's on paper and this is the Championship, or "Chumpionship" as they were arrogantly calling it only 12 months previous as they felt their premiership status was a god given right!

In essence, its nearly 20 years since I heard that guy on radio Lancs and this time more than any other, I believe he's gonna eat his words.

The power shift in East Lancs is slowly turning our way.

On 2nd December I'd love to see a certain Mr. Austin peel a way celebrating the winner, in front of a packed ,but, silent, cricket field stand, as the rest of the Turf errupts!

I hope that guys in the cricket field and he casts his mind back to 1995, and is forced to eat a large portion of humble pie.

Forced by a football club that's always punched above its weight. Seen the high and the lows. A football club that never lost touch with its roots or its traditions for being a real football club, playing real football. A club respected throughout the land for that. A football club that, in the dark days of the mid 80's nearly went under. But, a club that has clawed it way back up honestly, without a rich sugar-daddy.

That club, Ladies and Gents, is our club. Always has been, always will be.

Its Burnley Football Club

COME ON YOU CLARETS!!"

And a good post from a Rover:

Guys, if you are gonna get all nostalgic please at least tell the truth.

"Listening to the radio after they had won the league...Then along came trelleborgs"

keans. Trelleborgs defeat was at the start of the season in 1994-95, we got knocked out if Europe and actually that meant no mid week euro games and we went on then to win the league months after. But don't let facts get in the way of a mythical story.

Rovers withered on the vine? Yep, forget qualifying for Europe a further 3 times and winning the league cup. This last 2 seasons maybe.

Damian " they only won at the turf last time by cheating". Yep, ignore the fact we were by far the better team again and the linesman got a perfectly good goal ruled out wrongly, so should have been 1-0 up anyway.

Can you beat rovers? Yes. This may be your year and rovers fans who have had it so good should take it in the chin ( or at least I will).

It's been a horrendous time since Venkean got involved, and a lot of fans think that with what has gone on it just seems like fate that under these owners we will lose our 33 year record against you lot.

Football goes in cycles, the defeat is going to happen some time so when it does you have more right than many to really savour and enjoy it.

I think there is more realism in both camps than ever before. We know your squad is stronger than ours, we know we are slight under dogs but this is possibly our best chance in the last 33 years, maybe other than in 2000 when it went so horribly wrong for us.

I'm not sure you can argue against the sugar daddy label Garners, Jack was very much the first of that breed of super wealthy, buy success at all costs owners in England. Some argue he started the trend that led to footballs current problems, I'm not sure I'd agree though because after funding the dream he then set about creating a structure that for years I admired immensely, if with difficulty. One that saw you more or less self financing and enjoying a long period in the top flight.

Of course I'm bitter, can you honestly imagine how hard it was to watch your arch rivals being given that level of capital injection, being turbo charged beyond your reach? If the boot had been on the other foot I can assure you, you would be bitter to.

you can say what you want Longers but Telleborgs away was and still is up there (result aside ) the best couple of days Ive EVER had watching Rovers .Our first away day in Europe and it was a moment of dream fullfillment.IE, watching us europe was apipe dream for years.

I'm not sure you can argue against the sugar daddy label Garners, Jack was very much the first of that breed of super wealthy, buy success at all costs owners in England. Some argue he started the trend that led to footballs current problems, I'm not sure I'd agree though because after funding the dream he then set about creating a structure that for years I admired immensely, if with difficulty. One that saw you more or less self financing and enjoying a long period in the top flight.

Of course I'm bitter, can you honestly imagine how hard it was to watch your arch rivals being given that level of capital injection, being turbo charged beyond your reach? If the boot had been on the other foot I can assure you, you would be bitter to.

Jack Walker was way ahead of the game in spotting the way live TV would transform football's finances and make the Premier League the global phenomenon it is today. The explosion in player wages and concentration of wealth among a few elite clubs would have happened anyway. Walker cannot be blamed for being the first to see it coming. Walker might be seen as "sugar daddy" but his wealth is minsicule compared to the riches amassed by the owners of clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester City. He also insisted (wrongly some would say) that Rovers became self-financing in the long term which led to him to turn off the money tap at exactly the wrong time after Rovers won the championship in 1995. With the concentration of wealth among big city clubs, a town club like Rovers winning the English league title is very unlikely to happen again - ever. It's sad that nearly 20 years on from the title victory on Rovers continue to receive criticism.

Jack Walker was way ahead of the game in spotting the way live TV would transform football's finances and make the Premier League the global phenomenon it is today. The explosion in player wages and concentration of wealth among a few elite clubs would have happened anyway. Walker cannot be blamed for being the first to see it coming. Walker might be seen as "sugar daddy" but his wealth is minsicule compared to the riches amassed by the owners of clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester City. He also insisted (wrongly some would say) that Rovers became self-financing in the long term which led to him to turn off the money tap at exactly the wrong time after Rovers won the championship in 1995. With the concentration of wealth among big city clubs, a town club like Rovers winning the English league title is very unlikely to happen again - ever. It's sad that nearly 20 years on from the title victory on Rovers continue to receive criticism.

Well said Jim. It is amazing that the short sighted can only see one view. Jack was way ahead of his time and in terms of the money he invested on players, land and property he made millions for the club in most areas.

The signings made at that time by KD and JW for the most were hugely profitable. Shearer at 3.75, sold for 15, Sutton at 5, sold for 10, Le Saux and Berg at around 0.5 mill, sold on for 5 mill, May (home grown) sold for 5 mill, Hendry 750k, Batty, Sherwood, etc etc at a large profit. Jack almost paid for the ground re-development with profit on player trading at that time and his timing was absolutely impeccable.

Archived