BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Burnley v Rovers 2nd December 2012

Kelbo

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How would they police a Rovers-Burnley play-off final?

I was thinking about this yesterday, they'd just have to get on with it, surely we have no more idiot types than the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd etc when they face each other.

Robbo showed again yesterday why he's our number 1.

We'd have been beaten with either Kean or Bunn in goal.

Then you remember the amount of goals Robbo has cost us this season and your post is invalidated. ;)

They were when he took over - but they aren't now, He's improved them - it's what good managers do.

Come on Jim, taking a snap shot of a three month period in a managers entire career, in order to push a case for him is daft. I notice no-one has taken his last three months at Wolves to use as evidence. I don't know whether McCarthy would have done a job with this current rovers squad [i doubt it], but if we're weighing up other managers, at least look at everything they've done over the years.

"McCarthy would have done great for us because he's won a few games at Ipswich recently" is pretty irrelevant really.

A draw away is a decent enough result, but due to recently dropped points at home we desperately needed to win.

The collapse predicted by many Rovers fans did not happen and credit is due to the management and players for managing this fixture professionally without defeat, as it was never going to be easy away from home against a fired up Burnley. From the reports I am hearing from the fans who travelled, our players were fully committed, resolute in defence and worked very hard throughout. I should imagine that behind the scenes a lot of pride is being taken in this performance due to its local importance. It's a pity we could not hang on till the end and claim the win, deserved or otherwise as that would have taken some of the immediate pressure off.

Back to home fixtures now, which generally concern me more than the away matches. Cardiff at home on Friday which will be far from easy. Feel's like we are biding our time a little till January in order to balance the squad with greater options and I can't wait for the January transfer window as we clearly need at least 3 maybe 4 new players. Let us pray the Venky's support their new man and he spends any funds very wisely.

Come on Jim, taking a snap shot of a three month period in a managers entire career, in order to push a case for him is daft. I notice no-one has taken his last three months at Wolves to use as evidence. I don't know whether McCarthy would have done a job with this current rovers squad [i doubt it], but if we're weighing up other managers, at least look at everything they've done over the years.

"McCarthy would have done great for us because he's won a few games at Ipswich recently" is pretty irrelevant really.

Why daft ? In the short term he has dragged Ipswich out of the relegation zone and with a similar points return we would be in the top 6 or thereabouts. Looking at McCarthy's record over the long term he has achieved two promotions from this division which isn't a bad CV. Not saying he's a top-class PL manager but I think he was the right man for us at this particular time and could have got us into the play-offs this season. Of all the managers that were available to us he and perhaps Holloway (though I have my doubts about him) were the most likely to deliver. "Daft" is the appointment of Berg which was just another silly gamble on the part of the owners.

Why daft ? In the short term he has dragged Ipswich out of the relegation zone and with a similar points return we would be in the top 6 or thereabouts.

It's daft, because as you said, these are short term results, they don't mean he would have got the same number of points for us in the games we've played in the same period. McCarthy would have been my choice Jim, but three months worth of results for Ipswich really don't prove anything about his abilities.

If Robo wasn't on top form he'd have bagged that header yesterday.

He should really have headed that into the corner or across goal. That was his only chance that he had. Compare that with Rhodes, who also had one chance all game and bagged. Scott Dann had Austin in his back pocket all game. Expected more of a threat from a player that has scored 18 league goals this season.

As poor as we were first half yesterday, the poor run of form we are in, they still couldn't beat us.

Just about sums it all up perfectly Gull.Happy with the draw in the circumstances as most of us were never that confident going into the game,Burnley had their big chance but blew it.

Just seen the pictures of the steel barracades put up around the ground,just 7 arrests on the day...way,way over the top!

It's daft, because as you said, these are short term results, they don't mean he would have got the same number of points for us in the games we've played in the same period. McCarthy would have been my choice Jim, but three months worth of results for Ipswich really don't prove anything about his abilities.

Of course it does - it shows he can turn round a very poor team. You're also ignoring his long term record.

Just about sums it all up perfectly Gull.Happy with the draw in the circumstances as most of us were never that confident going into the game,Burnley had their big chance but blew it.

Just seen the pictures of the steel barracades put up around the ground,just 7 arrests on the day...way,way over the top!

Maybe the lack of arrests was partly down to afore mentioned steel barricades? I was happy to feel safe.

Just seen the highlights.

We are still not good enough at closing down the oppsition. This leads to several crosses and long-rang shots.

We do not posess the same aerial ability as before and we have one of the leagues weakest shotstoppers / commanding keepers.

This is a huge problem and also how we gave away the last goal. Last goal though was a superb cross from Junior Stanislas.

From the highlights Gamst looked absolutely rubbish and lazy. Many me included were saying that he should play this game, he knows the derby etc. Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish. Young King looked twice the energy and player that gamst was.

Formica looked lively and full of work. Also from the highlights I though Murphy fought well.

Of course it does - it shows he can turn round a very poor team. You're also ignoring his long term record.

Then why couldn't he do anything with Wolves or Sunderland?

All I'm saying is that three months results at Ipswich doesn't prove that he would have done any better here. Different club, different squad, different fixture list.

From the highlights on Rovers player, if you didn't go to the match and are watching that and wondering why people on here are talking about King's impact, the commentator doesn't appear to be able to tell the difference between Olsson (wearing gloves) and King (not wearing gloves) so you'll have to spot that yourself. The highlights didn't capture the sheer terror Burnley's defenders felt as soon as he got the ball and started running at them, nor the times he tracked back and easily dispossessed any Burnley player nearby who fancied having a run down the wing, without having to even make a tackle and simply intercepting their dribble, such was his extreme pace. Appears to be the fastest player I've seen in a Rovers shirt, but then we are in the Championship so I couldn't say for sure.

Christ, the pitch was bad. I knew it was with all the slips, but seeing it again on the highlights it's a shoddy surface.

I bet that number 2 was still having nightmares about King last night. He was totally dominant when he came on. I would play him in the centre because he kept having to cut back onto his right foot from the left.

I bet that number 2 was still having nightmares about King last night. He was totally dominant when he came on. I would play him in the centre because he kept having to cut back onto his right foot from the left.

That's the beauty of it. He's played on that side so he can cut in and cause the defender real problems who has to have the ball taken in on his weaker foot. It also drags across a midfielder or two and mixes things up as he starts moving goalwards. Then, defensively, when on the inside tracking back he can intercept the ball or make a block/tackle with his stronger foot whilst running back towards his own half. Plus it means you can switch the two wingers on the pitch over effectively.

He'd be wasted centrally.

He should really have headed that into the corner or across goal. That was his only chance that he had. Compare that with Rhodes, who also had one chance all game and bagged. Scott Dann had Austin in his back pocket all game. Expected more of a threat from a player that has scored 18 league goals this season.

Yes you could be right, but lets give praise to Dann who has taken some right stick over the past 12 months, as you say he put him in his pocket and didn't allow him to leave until the final whistle went.

straight at him, he starts letting them in he wants putting out to grass big time

Straight at him? the one where he scopped the ball out at full stretch in the first half?

Then why couldn't he do anything with Wolves or Sunderland?

All I'm saying is that three months results at Ipswich doesn't prove that he would have done any better here. Different club, different squad, different fixture list.

He did very for Wolves. Got them promoted and kept them up twice.

I don't think he's failed at a club in the Championship?

Yes you could be right, but lets give praise to Dann who has taken some right stick over the past 12 months, as you say he put him in his pocket and didn't allow him to leave until the final whistle went.

Definitely agree, thought Dann was outstanding and said that as soon as I posted on here. He has been good this season and as some say, he seems to have found his level. The defence dealt pretty well with whatever they threw at us and was definitely an improvement on the dismal display against Bolton.

I would have Dann as captain of the team ahead of Murphy. Feel he is more vocal and commanding, both of which Murphy is not.

I think there were a few single seats here and there.

On the game, thought we were a little unlucky but if you don't take your chance when on top you don't win games. First half you weren't even in the game, second half was much more even.

Overall it was the poorest derby atmosphere I can remember. First half you were awfully quiet and we were only marginally better. After half time I think most of our fans must have thought they were still on the concourse because we made little noise whilst you did improve - pretty much mirroring the teams. The only real noise though was for the 2 goals. Fierce derby? Not yesterday I'm afraid.

Disagree with that. The only time Rovers fans seemed to quieten down was towards the end of the First Half imo as we were getting battered.

The first 5-10 minutes seemed to be an electrifying atmosphere from both sets of fans too.

Honestly thought the atmosphere was a lot better than 2010, for the sole reason that the Burnley fans sang the odd chant this time ;)

Archived