BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Yakubu or Rhodes?

Would you swap him for Yakubu and £6m?

No. One is a lazy, ageing money grabber with no sell on value, the other is a young and ambitious prospect with a lot of potential who scores regularly in a team that creates no chances.

If Rhodes carries on scoring, the 8m we paid will be more than repaid in any future sale.

Rhodes as he is here and now.

As an aside what a nice fella. I was packing my lad off after the match and went to meet his Grandma. Jordan was there outside the club shop signing autographs - making his way home. I'm not sure how long he'd been there but there was a few milling about and he was just about done and ready to go. I asked him if he'd have his photo with my lad. He couldn't have been friendlier, not only that I only took one and its a cracker!

So thanks Jordan. Your patience and manner is very welcome. All the very best.

In terms of talent Yak beats Rhodes all ends up - probably the only are where Jordan may have a small edge is finishing. Yak was stronger, faster (in his youth), better movement, better technique.

Hopefully Rhodes will get us into the Premiership, and turn into a decent Premier League player. But for me he lacks the fundamental speed, technique or strength to really worry defenders. Hope I'm wrong, but watching him it is hard to see how he is going to turn anyone or hold up the ball in the top division.

• Backroom

Yakubu is a better player, not only did he score goals he was absolutely class at bringing the wingers into play and gave us more of an outlet

Rhodes will develop further though with the right coaching

I wonder how much better Rhodes is than the likes of Murray, Austin and Woods. They've all scored a lot and were bought cheaply. I like Rhodes but feel we over paid by about 3-4m.

I worry about his lack of out and out pace, he doesn't seem to have that change in pace top strikers seem to posess.

• Backroom
His finishing is outstanding the other things can be taught, but at this moment in time I'd have to go with the yak.
I don't think pace can be taught

Edit not that the Yak had pace sorry I thought this was in reply to Ricky's post

What a pointless thread. They're both great players so why try to belittle arguably our best player by comparing him umfavourably to Yamubu.

What's the next one? Rhodes or Messi?

The Yak was a joy to watch when the ball came anywhere near him, he nearly always managed to lay the ball off successfully. However, he didn't want to know if the ball wasn't near him so I honestly doubt if he'd have scored the goals Rhodes has in this side with the lack of service such as its been.

Anyone know how the Yak's been doing this season out of interest?

I wasn't trying to "belittle" him, I know he is our prized asset, i just was curious as to how highly people rate him.

If that was my intention, surely Lowe v Andrews, Matteo v Dann or Goodwillie v Modeste or something similar would have been more appropriate?

No worries I see where you're coming from however it was fairly predictable the thread would turn into somewhat of a Rhodes bashing session.

Also any comparison is fairly pointless as one player is at the end of his career and the other near the start. You can only really compare the two accurately at the end of Rhodes career.

As for the players you mention above Andrews Dann and neither. Hee hee!

Yak without a doubt.

Rhodes is only young though and could become a greater talent than Yakubu.

Right now though Yak is superior.

What a pointless thread. They're both great players so why try to belittle arguably our best player by comparing him umfavourably to Yamubu.

What's the next one? Rhodes or Messi?

The Yak was a joy to watch when the ball came anywhere near him, he nearly always managed to lay the ball off successfully. However, he didn't want to know if the ball wasn't near him so I honestly doubt if he'd have scored the goals Rhodes has in this side with the lack of service such as its been.

Anyone know how the Yak's been doing this season out of interest?

I don't think he was trying to belittle Rhodes and if so I doubt Rhodes would take time to give a hoot anyway.

Archived