BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Appletons post match comments have been blown way out of proportion.He was basically saying that we shouldnt over commit other wise you'll get thumped.

He actually brought on two attack minded players at ht. I could understand the criticism if he took off a striker for a defender and shut up shop at ht but he didnt.

The tactics are rigid at the moment but i put that down the personnel available. The tactic is to keep it tight and nick a goal. Thats good if you go one nil up but disastrous if you concede the first goal. I just don't think there are any options to play any other way right now. That can only change when we get a better quality of player in midfield.

Agree that his comments were twisted by some folk. But i'm not convinced Appletons style will change much even with a new midfield. By all accounts he is very much 'play it safe' style manager. No problem with that at all in my book. Its not too pretty to watch at times, but the very last thing the club need right now is a gung-ho manager who fills the side with light weight players with flicks and tricks. To get out of this division you need pace and power. Hit teams on the break and know when to do it. I recall Big Sam's Rovers looking no-hopers when they went a goal down. I remember thinking on numerous occassions that going a goal down would inevitably mean game over as we offered so little going forward. But i bet there aint many Rovers fans who wouldn't walk over hot coals to have him and his safety first approach back now.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've seen it now. Campbell does nothing for Rhodes. Both run the channels. Need either a no 10 (Bentley?) or a target man (Best) for Rhodes.

Bentley better for us when he plays further forward.

I predicted as much when he signed but I have a feeling that the real reason Campbell is here for when Rhodes moves on as he must.

Still sounds realistic to me.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10258182.Appleton_challenges_Blackburn_Rovers_players_to_prove_their_worth/

We still have to go along with him, what alternatives have we? He seems to know what's wrong, not just with the playing staff, but the club as well. Also, I don't accept that he's got an overly negative approach to games, because basically he's had no creativite players at his disosal for at least the last few games. No guarantees that this will work out, but I'm happy to give more time.

• Backroom

Also, I don't accept that he's got an overly negative approach to games, because basically he's had no creativite players at his disosal for at least the last few games.

Is that not primarily because he let our few creative players leave in January, though? I'm not sure Appleton's style of football necessarily requires creative players, just hard-grafting central midfielders (the big problem) and pacy wingers.

Is that not primarily because he let our few creative players leave in January, though? I'm not sure Appleton's style of football necessarily requires creative players, just hard-grafting central midfielders (the big problem) and pacy wingers.

I'd only have kept one now thinking about it all and that would have been Rochina. With him we could have covered midfield as we all seem to believe needs doing and had some serious flair.

Kean

Henley Hanley Dann Givet

Cuddles Lowe MGP Olsson MKI

Rochina

Rhodes

Probably the same as Allardyce did in every away game that we played under him. At least we've not had a 7-1 drubbing, yet.

We've not played in the premiership yet....

If a very average Leicester can hammer us, then god knows how we'd get on in the PL.

You can't compared our away performances in the PL to this season. We NEEDED a WIN against Leicester, whereas if you're playing a top half premiership side, a draw is a decent result to aim for.

• Backroom

We've seen it now. Campbell does nothing for Rhodes. Both run the channels. Need either a no 10 (Bentley?) or a target man (Best) for Rhodes.

Bentley better for us when he plays further forward.

Rhodes runs the channels? Does he?

The two clearly don't work together though

Really hope that MA isn't turning into another SK as I've liked him so far but he did make some bizare xcomments the other day. He needs to concentrate on getting the best out of what he's got and find a way of winning games with the players he has and stop looking for excuses and new players.

Really hope that MA isn't turning into another SK as I've liked him so far but he did make some bizare xcomments the other day. He needs to concentrate on getting the best out of what he's got and find a way of winning games with the players he has and stop looking for excuses and new players.

He hasn't compared Rekik to Denis Irwin yet. Keep the faith.

Still sounds realistic to me.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/10258182.Appleton_challenges_Blackburn_Rovers_players_to_prove_their_worth/

We still have to go along with him, what alternatives have we? He seems to know what's wrong, not just with the playing staff, but the club as well. Also, I don't accept that he's got an overly negative approach to games, because basically he's had no creativite players at his disosal for at least the last few games. No guarantees that this will work out, but I'm happy to give more time.

Sorry - total rubbish - compare the comment that we will have two players in by Saturday - by 14:00 on the same day - only 50:50 to get new players in.

He is telling us what we want to hear - how rubbish our owners purchasing have been, how Kean has taken away the foundations. All true - however one very simple thing missing - the team on Tuesday had at least 6 internationals in the starting 11 - most with Premiership experience - and yet he could not get them even motivated ! His tactics - again - were totally wrong (as per Hull away) - and yet it is the injury list, or problems caused by previous managers.

I am willing to give him time - but all sounds like excuses to me.

“It is going to be difficult (the play-offs), there are still 36 points to play for and nothing is impossible. We have to concentrate on winning games of football. If we win four or five on the bounce, the picture changes again. I am just being more of a realist than an optimist or a pessimist."

Winning 4 or 5 on the bounce and he's a realist?

At times making 4 or 5 passes in a row is optimistic.

Personally wingers aint the problem, its a tough tackling central midfielder or 2.

His record already in signings worries me, Campbell and Rekik arent what we needed.

Obviously, have to give him the rest of the season, but Im concerned.

We'll do well to get 4/5 wins in total from the last 13

"Meanwhile Appleton is still looking for reinforcements and admits he
would be “amazed” if two loan signings were not added by Peterborough’s
visit on Saturday."

Seems to be his "Hoillet will sign in 24 hours" line

Applekean indeed

If we win the next couple of games then a few people are going to look silly. I'm not 100% happy with Appleton especially as he wasn't my choice in the first place, but it's way too early to compare him to the likes of Kean.

If he gets another season and we struggle to get promoted then it's probably a valid comparison in terms of managerial ability.

From the first home game I saw with Appleton in charge.

22nd Jan - Rovers 1 - 1 Brighton (D)

26th Jan - Derby 0 - 3 Rovers (W)

2nd Feb - Rovers 2 - 0 Bristol (W)

9th Feb - Rovers 1 - 0 Ipswich (W)

12th Feb - Brighton 1 - 1 Rovers (D)

16th Feb - Arsenal 0 -1 Rovers (W)

19th Feb - Hull 2 - 0 Rovers (L)

23rd Feb - Rovers 0 - 0 Leeds (D)

26th Feb - Leicester 3 - 0 Rovers (L)

We were going well up until the last 3 games. He's honest, hardworking, and wants to succeed. Let's see how he gets on over the next 6-8 months.

Not sure I like how Appleton is saying that he was please with the Leeds performance (on the back of losing to Hull) and wants a similar reaction to the loss at Leicester.

We were poor against Leeds weren't we?

Archived