BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Is that not primarily because he let our few creative players leave in January, though? I'm not sure Appleton's style of football necessarily requires creative players, just hard-grafting central midfielders (the big problem) and pacy wingers.

Which creative players would they be?

We have only one creative player and that's Bentley.

Sorry - total rubbish - compare the comment that we will have two players in by Saturday - by 14:00 on the same day - only 50:50 to get new players in.

He is telling us what we want to hear - how rubbish our owners purchasing have been, how Kean has taken away the foundations. All true - however one very simple thing missing - the team on Tuesday had at least 6 internationals in the starting 11 - most with Premiership experience - and yet he could not get them even motivated ! His tactics - again - were totally wrong (as per Hull away) - and yet it is the injury list, or problems caused by previous managers.

I am willing to give him time - but all sounds like excuses to me.

oh dear, another poster who think we have the best squad in the league.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the myth that we have one of the strongest squads has well and truly gone. I thought players like Murphy, Etuhu and Martin Olsson would absolutely storm this league whereas they've actually been quite poor.

The only players that have excelled are Kean, Hanley, Dann and Rhodes. Other players have been good in patches but not consistent enough.This couped with having loads of players in some positions and virtually none in other positions has really hurt us this season.

I heard the Leicester commentators the other night saying that Blackburn should be right up there with experienced prem players like Murphy and Pedersen. I think that's the problem. People look at those names and think we should be up there but, in reality, players like Pedersen and Murphy are well past it.

If we win the next couple of games then a few people are going to look silly. I'm not 100% happy with Appleton especially as he wasn't my choice in the first place, but it's way too early to compare him to the likes of Kean.

If he gets another season and we struggle to get promoted then it's probably a valid comparison in terms of managerial ability.

I couldn't agree more RVR

For anyone to compare the two you have start looking for a motive, as the remark is so outlandish and incorrect that anyone with even half a brain wouldn't come out with such nonsense.

I heard some murky stuff about certain people posting rubbish on here, most I've dismissed, but when you read cr@p like comparing Appleton with Kean you begin to wonder.

If Appleton lost every game from now until he's sacked, he'd still not be in the same league as the keaning rat.

You can't take games out or it suits your argument, people did similar with Berg away at Palace.

However you could say that he seemingly went with the same team to see what we were about, got a negative reaction then had a good look at the squad.

He then made us hard to beat, was quite frank about the balance of the squad, and put a few results together in games we should have got them from, peaking in an upset at the Emirates. Our defensive record was outstanding.

The question was then asked; could we become an attacking threat? Appleton had really got us organised and seemed to have a plan.

So far we have regressed and even shown previous defensive frailties away at 2 of the better teams in the division.

You would have to say that he does seem to have a plan, he does seem to know in the main how to organise a team, what he has yet to prove is if he can take the team on a level and actually make us an attacking threat.

My main worry was the lack of passion at Hull and apparently at Leicester too. This has been a long term problem which he had seemingly sorted out.

You can't take games out or it suits your argument, people did similar with Berg away at Palace.

However you could say that he seemingly went with the same team to see what we were about, got a negative reaction then had a good look at the squad.

He then made us hard to beat, was quite frank about the balance of the squad, and put a few results together in games we should have got them from, peaking in an upset at the Emirates. Our defensive record was outstanding.

The question was then asked; could we become an attacking threat? Appleton had really got us organised and seemed to have a plan.

So far we have regressed and even shown previous defensive frailties away at 2 of the better teams in the division.

You would have to say that he does seem to have a plan, he does seem to know in the main how to organise a team, what he has yet to prove is if he can take the team on a level and actually make us an attacking threat.

My main worry was the lack of passion at Hull and apparently at Leicester too. This has been a long term problem which he had seemingly sorted out.

That's a good post.

At some time or another though, a manager has to come into this club and completely overhaul the squad and It's going to take time. There's no quick fix unless Venky's are going to come up with £20m or so for new players. So where are we and what do we do? Do people honestly think that now is the right time to sack Appleton? - Then what? Don't anyone think Mourinho is going to walk out of Real Madrid to take this job. If we do go looking for another man to take over, because of where the Raos have taken us during the last two years, it's going to be someone like Appleton, or someone who's managed and failed at a higher level. To me, it's a long way back.

We have lacked passion for over two years. This is one of the biggest reasons why the squad needs alot of changing and a pre season to build some team spirit. The players are just used to turning up, playing crap and then the manager telling them a load of positives.

Some new leaders are really needed on the pitch, experienced championship players would be ideal.

We have lacked passion for over two years. This is one of the biggest reasons why the squad needs alot of changing and a pre season to build some team spirit. The players are just used to turning up, playing crap and then the manager telling them a load of positives.

Some new leaders are really needed on the pitch, experienced championship players would be ideal.

I don't think it helps with Appleton saying to the players; "don't worry, we you're playing rubbish, but its not your fault, its because the club has been in quicksand for the last 2 years" He should be firing them up now, what's the last 2 years got to do with Murphy etc lacking the motivation. Just another excuse as to why the most expensive squad in the league is taking comfort that we only lost the second half one nil to a Leicester team without a win in 4.

• Backroom

Which creative players would they be?

Rochina and Vukcevic, primarily. Formica was supposed to be creative though he never showed anything to prove this.

I don't think it was a bad decision to let our "creative" players go, because they're not really necessary for the way Appleton sets his teams up. He can't use a lack of one as an excuse though, as he opted to get rid of them.

Rochina didn't display it enough, partly because his decision making is so poor, however he can be creative Den. I can think of at least a couple of superb assists this season off the top of my head.

If he'd have shown anywhere near enough SR, he'd have been a regular. He wasn't, under any manager. He might have it in his locker somewhere because he's undoubtedly technically very good, but I don't remember him creating hardly anything, except confusion in the other players around him.

• Backroom

Rochina certainly has the ability to be creative, he just needs a good manager to show him how to utilise his talents properly. Steve Kean and Henning Berg are not that person, and to be honest I doubt Appleton is either.

As for Vukcevic, in the brief glimpses of him we had this season he was very creative and assured. Unfortunately for whatever reason he was deemed surplus to requirements - one assumes an attitude or fitness problem.

Rochina capable of producing something out of nothing in a way that our other players weren't, but I'm not sure I'd say he was creative. Most of the time he lost the ball trying to do too much.

Let's not forget that Rochina asked to leave by the way. Can't blame him for wanting to take a move to La Liga.

If Rochina had been English and had arrived from say Doncaster, he'd have been hounded for giving the ball away so often. The fact he was Spanish and arrived from Barcelona meant fans believed the hype. He's got a long way to go that lad. Raw materials are there but he's got no brain to use it.

If Rochina had been English and had arrived from say Doncaster, he'd have been hounded for giving the ball away so often. The fact he was Spanish and arrived from Barcelona meant fans believed the hype. He's got a long way to go that lad. Raw materials are there but he's got no brain to use it.

So you're saying fans had certain expectations because he come from the best footballing academy in the world?

I think Nuno Gomes has been creative this season when he played behind Rhodes, he's the only one who has been able to link midfield to attack.

I think the Nuno Gomes/Rhodes partnership in the 1st few games was the best partnership we have had this season and was the main reason we scored for fun in that period(even against the run of play!), Gomes's 1st touch and awareness was a different class.

So you're saying fans had certain expectations because he come from the best footballing academy in the world?

No. I'm saying fans forgave pish poor performances time and time again because he came from that back ground. Fans had the right to expect better considering his education.

I think Nuno Gomes has been creative this season when he played behind Rhodes, he's the only one who has been able to link midfield to attack.

Maybe we should try Gomes alongside Lowe in midfield. He can't be any worse that Murphy, surely.

No. I'm saying fans forgave pish poor performances time and time again because he came from that back ground. Fans had the right to expect better considering his education.

Rochina showed his pedigree on numerous occasions. It was his overall decision-making that let him down. I would've liked to have seen him play as an out-and-out striker. His technical ability is without question and he has some shot on him. Think he's too inclined to overplay it when out-wide or in midfield.

Archived