BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

Appleton needs time. As I said in another thread, we won't get anywhere if we have a revolving door of managers. This also works on the principle that Venky's would actually go out and hire an established name (or one would even consider coming here). They haven't shown any inclination to do that so far. Not to mention it would most likely open up another protracted power-struggle between those at the top. Let's not forget that when Souness first came in, we also had a squad that flattered to deceive (and still had the likes of Dunn, Duff, Flitcroft, & Jansen at its core). Souness only won 3 of his first 10 games that season, and it took a summer of rebuilding the side, clearing out the deadwood, and building around the quality we did have, until we could mount a serious promotion push. Now, of course, that was a different time and a different club. I'm not necessarily saying that Appleton is the man to do this. What am I saying is that it's pointless to turn on the manager on the back of two bad results, especially given the long-term damage that had already been done by the time he came into the job.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appleton needs time. As I said in another thread, we won't get anywhere if we have a revolving door of managers. This also works on the principle that Venky's would actually go out and hire an established name (or one would even consider coming here). They haven't shown any inclination to do that so far. Not to mention it would most likely open up another protracted power-struggle between those at the top. Let's not forget that when Souness first came in, we also had a squad that flattered to deceive (and still had the likes of Dunn, Duff, Flitcroft, & Jansen at its core). Souness only won 3 of his first 10 games that season, and it took a summer of rebuilding the side, clearing out the deadwood, and building around the quality we did have, until we could mount a serious promotion push. Now, of course, that was a different time and a different club. I'm not necessarily saying that Appleton is the man to do this. What am I saying is that it's pointless to turn on the manager on the back of two bad results, especially given the long-term damage that had already been done by the time he came into the job.

Souness brought in higher quality players that could get Rovers over the finishing line. Appletons signings in DJ.Campbell, Rekik, and Williamson arent exactly that higher calibre type of player that can get Rovers over the line far from it.

With all the players also being loanees what future planning is there here. Think you might be wrong about giving Appleton time as it could be all about giving Venkys time to clear out those parachute payments(we shall see).

'I said to the players go out and win the second half or certainly don't get beat'

Then to paraphrase, 'if we get one then you get the impetus and try to nick something out of the game, but you have to be careful not to get thumped'

I have just heard the interview and its not half as bad people are saying IMO, sounds bad if you cherry pick a line.

Guest Norbert

The fact is that we have to stick with him. The play offs was always an outside bet when he took over, and it'll take a good while to sort out the crap squad, get players fired up and working to a tactical plan etc. Getting rid of a lot of Portuguese non-entities etc. is a good start, and hopefully in the summer Murphy, Robinson and other misfiring bigger names can be shipped off along with perma-crocks like Dunn.

And if he did get the boot, who the ruddy hell would be daft/desperate enough to take over? Peter Taylor, Ruud Gullit and Judian Ali would be the only candidates I can think of, and well that is not an improvement.

A lot of them just aren't bothered about the chop though. How do you chop people like Murphy ? No one will take him and to be honest he'll probably welcome being left out whilst he collects his final years wages before retiring.

'I said to the players go out and win the second half or certainly don't get beat'

Then to paraphrase, 'if we get one then you get the impetus and try to nick something out of the game, but you have to be careful not to get thumped'

I have just heard the interview and its not half as bad people are saying IMO, sounds bad if you cherry pick a line.

thanks imy, just as I suspected. His quotes have been taken out of context,

Can't help but think that Souness would have Givet in the squad doing a job somewhere.

Hell, we won the League Cup with Mark Hughes in midfield.

We need to start seeing the intimidating hard man side of Appleton.

@AndyBayes

The message from MA after #Rovers defeat last night was ..players have 12 games to impress or it's the chop. Shades of Souness in 2000.

Will Murphy or Etuhu really give a flying one about a threat like this given the lucrative, long-term deals that they're on? Murphy certainly hasn't been playing like it.

Edit - sorry tomphil just seen that you've said exactly the same!

Guest Norbert

A lot of them just aren't bothered about the chop though. How do you chop people like Murphy ? No one will take him and to be honest he'll probably welcome being left out whilst he collects his final years wages before retiring.

True, theory and practice are usually different. Maybe a free transfer would be an option, some Arab or Chinese club might just be interested, though it is doubtful.

Souness brought in higher quality players that could get Rovers over the finishing line. Appletons signings in DJ.Campbell, Rekik, and Williamson arent exactly that higher calibre type of player that can get Rovers over the line far from it.

Souness had an entire pre-season to rebuild the squad and was allowed to buy permanent signings, not scrape around for freebies and last-minute loan deals.

It's also good to see we're giving players less than four appearances now before we write them off.

Thats going to be the biggest problem of the summer, the club cant even plan a transfer/wage budget until obscenely overpaid trash like Murphy/givet/robinson/morten/etuhu/gomes are off the books, which i see being an impossible task in regards too murphy and etuhu(i think some of the others contracts expire in the summer so that shouldn't be too bad!) and the there's the likes of Formica/rochina/bruno/Nuno henrique/goodwillie/edinio whose futures need to be decided on.

Never mind his half-time talk, what the chuff did Appleton say to the players before the game to "inspire" such a wretched performance ?

Answers on a postcard please.

Blatantly keep it tight and see if we can nick one from a set piece (obviously using 4-4-2 with DJ and Rhodes up top this sure as hell wasnt going to work). Prior to the HT belter about not getting tubbed 2nd half.

I think the club will actually be looking to cash in on rhodes this year(players like him are just a luxury we cant afford in this league), most likely dj & best will be our main strikers next year(not great players by any means, but lots of teams have got promoted with much worst) and hopfully if there is any sense at the club money received from rhodes should all go on 2 very good centre mids too build a team around.

Appletons post match comments have been blown way out of proportion.He was basically saying that we shouldnt over commit other wise you'll get thumped.

He actually brought on two attack minded players at ht. I could understand the criticism if he took off a striker for a defender and shut up shop at ht but he didnt.

The tactics are rigid at the moment but i put that down the personnel available. The tactic is to keep it tight and nick a goal. Thats good if you go one nil up but disastrous if you concede the first goal. I just don't think there are any options to play any other way right now. That can only change when we get a better quality of player in midfield.

• Backroom

Appleton's own fault tbh, even the full interview doesn't inspire confidence. He talks about us like we're in the bottom 3 and might only survive on goal difference. Realistically we needed to win that game to have a chance of getting into the playoffs, and Appleton's comments suggest to me he had no intention of pushing to win the game. The comments about winning the second half are just bizarre, but I'll put that down to naivety. Let's be clear - we weren't playing Arsenal or Man utd, we were playing Leicester, who at the time were only 10 points ahead of us in the league on the back of a pretty poor run of form. Why was he talking about getting thumped? This surely should not be a concern? Unless the whole interview is a subtle dig at the players telling them they are @#/? rubbish. If so, bravo.

It's clear Appleton doesn't believe the team has a hope in hell of reaching the playoffs or getting promoted. Whilst I agree with him - why would any fans go to any more games knowing the manager and by the looks of things the players have essentially thrown the towel in this season?

It's not what I said and you know it, but I'll let you run with it.

The man needs a pre-season USA, the side needs overhauling, lets hope he's given the chance to act further in the summer.

Couldn't agree more but I've seen nothing to suggest he can get it done. Granted he shore up the back (temporarily?) but through one transfer window he did nothing to bolster where we are clearly weakest, midfield. Well he brought one in. Unless he plans on hoofball how do we turn defence into attack with no one to run it through. Hope like hell he builds on a solid back line but last nights result indicates we aren't that solid and I'm sure the game plan on us anymore is going to be dump diagonal balls into the six yard box, we can't deal with it. Fingers crossed though.

I think the club will actually be looking to cash in on rhodes this year(players like him are just a luxury we cant afford in this league), most likely dj & best will be our main strikers next year(not great players by any means, but lots of teams have got promoted with much worst) and hopfully if there is any sense at the club money received from rhodes should all go on 2 very good centre mids too build a team around.

If he doesn't get back on the scoresheet no one is going to be interested

Souness had an entire pre-season to rebuild the squad and was allowed to buy permanent signings, not scrape around for freebies and last-minute loan deals.

It's also good to see we're giving players less than four appearances now before we write them off.

Come pre season, what confidence do you have that he will not again be scraping around for freebies and last minute loanees.

Appletons post match comments have been blown way out of proportion.He was basically saying that we shouldnt over commit other wise you'll get thumped.

He actually brought on two attack minded players at ht. I could understand the criticism if he took off a striker for a defender and shut up shop at ht but he didnt.

The tactics are rigid at the moment but i put that down the personnel available. The tactic is to keep it tight and nick a goal. Thats good if you go one nil up but disastrous if you concede the first goal. I just don't think there are any options to play any other way right now. That can only change when we get a better quality of player in midfield.

The problem is-------we did get thumped! 3-0!

Jordan Rhodes generally creates his own space, epitomized by his goals yesterday. Campbell is for me over rated and a long term deal on big money is crazy. I think Thomas will bring much more to the team and supply better service for Rhodes.

We've seen it now. Campbell does nothing for Rhodes. Both run the channels. Need either a no 10 (Bentley?) or a target man (Best) for Rhodes.

Bentley better for us when he plays further forward.

Archived