BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tim Sherwood set to become Rovers manager

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Warhurst-What a player he could/should have been if he'd not been so injury prone(we paid a LOT of money for him at the time as well), We got the occasional glimpse of his individual genius but not enough.

To a lesser degree we could say the same about Vincenzo.

The midfielders who played for us during the golden era were brilliant in their own right and in their own style. It's no use trying to compare one to another.

Sherwood was captain, playmaker, goal scorer and a very, very good player.

When he was injured, Flitcroft and McKinley formed a superb partnership that should never have been broken when Sherwood became fit again (IMO). Tim should have been made to wait his turn on the bench.

Batty was a godsend. Only he could take the weight off the defence and keep possession. Hendry said all we have to do is give the ball to Batty.

Now Paul Warhurst was different again. IMO he was the only other player as well as Shearer who had world class ability.

Mark Atkins had a good engine to make up for his lack of skill. But he could get himself into goal scoring positions better than most. It was strange that when Atkins played we did well but as soon as we lost his services our form slumped. King Kenny recognised the worth of Atkins and Wilcox.

By the way, I am over the moon that we are not having Sherwood forced on us as manager. GB for me.

Thanks for reminding me about Paul Warhurst. What a player he could have been but for that broken leg. Not many players have it all but he had. He was clever, had pace , stamina, passing ability, heading ability, he could make play and score goals, tackle, good temperament. The sort of player that could play in any position and look a natural.

When I look back on that team and that era what occurs to me most of all is how unlucky we were with serious injuries. Shearer, Gallagher, Le Saux, Batty, Wilcox, Warhurst all had long spells out with serious injuries.

Bohinen and Warhurst both had unbelievable God given ability. Unfortunately temperament for the former and injury and temperament for the latter prevented both of them from fulfilling their undoubted potential.

We could argue the toss about Flitty but Berkovic was apreciably better, again in my opinion. I know he wasn't a tackler but neither was Sherwood unless he was forced into it. Courage takes many forms on the football field, there's the Kevin Moran / Colin Hendrey types flinging whatever bit of their body is needed in the way of the ball, and there's the Eyal Berkovic's of this world who'll show for the ball and demand possession no matter what the situation, no matter what the score is. They don't hide, and they take the fight to the opposition constantly. That sort of player gets you on top in close games. I remember him playing for 'City in the Manchester derby after he left us. He passed a late fitness test and proceded to run Utd ragged in midfield, and that's when Utd's midfield was the best in Europe. They just couldn't deal with him running the ball from centre midfield. A top, top player.

I don't have scapegoats, I have guys who deserve to wear the shirt and guys who don't.

Ok well the post before this you were talking about objectivity, then in this one you immediately point out that its your opinion. Objectively Batty was better than Sherwood because he has far more England caps and spent more of his career at or near the top. Objectively Flitcroft never won a title, never played at a top side and never played for England. I was a huge fan of him at Rovers but he wasn't in Sherwood's league. And objectively Berkovic was better than Flitcroft but again never played for a top side and never won anything of note outside of Isreal, his international caps stack up but for a country that haven't qualified for a major tournament since 1970.

Its harder to compare Sherwood and Berkovic and I agree with some of what you say about Berkovic's strengths. But the fact is Berkovic wouldn't have got in our title winning team, and Sherwood captained it. You don't carry players in title winning sides and you don't have the very best in an attacking sense and then stick with mediocre in a defensive sense. Dalglish had a blank chequebook and a Keane/Ince midfield to compete against and he stuck with Sherwood, who competed admirably and scored a disgracefully disallowed equaliser at Old Trafford. That should all point to Sherwood being the best central midfielder in the country that season, something Berkovic has never gotten close to.

Bohinen and Warhurst both had unbelievable God given ability. Unfortunately temperament for the former and injury and temperament for the latter prevented both of them from fulfilling their undoubted potential.

Warhurst would have been an England regular but for injury. I remembering him bossing the United midfield until we had our usual player sent off. A masterstroke by Dalglish to take one of the leagues top scorers and convert him to midfield - oh what could have been

To a lesser degree we could say the same about Vincenzo.

Apart from he barely had any natural talent anyway! I've never seen anyone move so slowly through the midfield. Plus his passing was terrible, he kept kicking out of play. His only redeeming feature was that he was quite determined and aggressive. But then he was so slow that he couldn't get near enough to the ball so just fouled people instead.

Warhurst would have been an England regular but for injury. I remembering him bossing the United midfield until we had our usual player sent off. A masterstroke by Dalglish to take one of the leagues top scorers and convert him to midfield - oh what could have been

He was originally a cb and i think thats where he played most during his career, he was just quality wherever he played though.

And a masterstroke to take a defender and turn him into a striker.

i wonder how many players have actually played and performed in all three outfield roles???

he was probably a good keeper as well.

And a masterstroke to take a defender and turn him into a striker.

Who was it who turned Warhurst from defender to striker at Wednesday for that season

And Sutton from defender to Striker at Norwich, ditto for the one season?

I can read all about Rovers history now. Tutor group bought me amongst other things, a thing called News Headlines Blackburn Rovers from 1907. Has all the newspaper pages reporting Rovers big stories from 1907 to end of season last year. Inscribed with my name and with a book plaque thing in the front saying who it was from and what for. Absolutely brilliant gift from my lads. Who says today's teenagers don't know how to behave etc - totally wrong and it's just here as a story to counteract the no doubt bad press our Muslim communities will get after today's Woolwich killing.

Ok well the post before this you were talking about objectivity, then in this one you immediately point out that its your opinion. Objectively Batty was better than Sherwood because he has far more England caps and spent more of his career at or near the top. Objectively Flitcroft never won a title, never played at a top side and never played for England. I was a huge fan of him at Rovers but he wasn't in Sherwood's league. And objectively Berkovic was better than Flitcroft but again never played for a top side and never won anything of note outside of Isreal, his international caps stack up but for a country that haven't qualified for a major tournament since 1970.

Its harder to compare Sherwood and Berkovic and I agree with some of what you say about Berkovic's strengths. But the fact is Berkovic wouldn't have got in our title winning team, and Sherwood captained it. You don't carry players in title winning sides and you don't have the very best in an attacking sense and then stick with mediocre in a defensive sense. Dalglish had a blank chequebook and a Keane/Ince midfield to compete against and he stuck with Sherwood, who competed admirably and scored a disgracefully disallowed equaliser at Old Trafford. That should all point to Sherwood being the best central midfielder in the country that season, something Berkovic has never gotten close to.

If you say so Steve. I think we need to agree to disagree on this one.

I still find it all pretty insane that schuster who is still interested in the job gets no mention (and I know from the horses mouth he is.... and do you ever seem me even trying to be in the know), dude has taken numerous small clubs up the charts which is why the likes of Real came after him.

That happened at Sheffield Wednesday, not Rovers

Yep very true(same for Sutton) sad about Warhursts injury run, the guy could have made it to the very top imo.

Archived