BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tim Sherwood set to become Rovers manager

Batty was certainly a good player, different strengths and weaknesses but certainly in the same league as Sherwood, I rem my suprise to find that he was a very good player as well as a midfield enforcer. Flitty was a midfield growler, an all action, well ard, getter and giver (nothing wrong with that cos every team needs one) but he could pick his nose better than pick out a pass. Berkovic was the best inside forward that I have seen since Duggy but off the ball he was as much use as I was..... and I was sat in the JW Upper! Fantastic ability but he simply refused to tackle anybody and anything.

Rovers would certainly never have won the premiership with Flitcroft or Berkovic in the side. Different players to Tim Sherwood but still very secondary to Tim.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers would certainly never have won the premiership with Flitcroft or Berkovic in the side. Different players to Tim Sherwood but still very secondary to Tim.

I'm not sure that I agree with that either Jal. Certainly Berko was a luxury in a poor division, the icing on the cake of our promotion bid who was perfect in the 3-5-2 which Souness adapted us to play but wouldn't have fit in with KMD's strict 4-4-2 at all but Mark Atkins could only ever be described as a poor mans Gary Flitcroft. Flitty coming in for Atko would have improved the team without a doubt.

I'm pretty sure that if we approach Sherwood he'll take the job. His comments on Talksport endorse that and £2 million for a failing Berg will certainly help make his mind up.

So when it doesn't happen (because it won't) we can all agree that it's mischief making from the lifelong Rovers fan in the boardroom.

Again.

Relieved its looking unlikely he'll be manager.

Regarding him as a player, well only Rovers fans would question the ability of the captain of their best team in the last 99 years. We must be a hoot to outsiders sometimes.

It's called objectivity. Some of us have it, some just go along with the herd. If Sherwood was better than Batty he would have won more caps. How many did he win whilst he was at Rovers ?

My my you do carry a grudge well. Are you a Riversider by any chance? You've still got your knife into our very own Captain Fantastic I see.

Batty was certainly a good player, different strengths and weaknesses but certainly in the same league as Sherwood, I rem my suprise to find that he was a very good player as well as a midfield enforcer. Flitty was a midfield growler, an all action, well ard, getter and giver (nothing wrong with that cos every team needs one) but he could pick his nose better than pick out a pass. Berkovic was the best inside forward that I have seen since Duggy but off the ball he was as much use as I was..... and I was sat in the JW Upper! Fantastic ability but he simply refused to tackle anybody and anything.

Just as an observation and I'm not particularly in favour of Sherwood returning as manager but why did so many support the possibility of Shearer coming as manager on a number of occasions yet nowhere near as many seem to want Sherwood? Odd isn't it? A good player is no indication of managerial ability no matter how much some people seem to think it is. At least Sherwood hasn't had a glorious failure stamped in bold black and white lettering on page 1 of his cv like Big Al.. There are some very strange thought processes at work around here.

I'm not bearing a grudge,That would be pretty pointless. I'm just voicing my opinion and my opinion is he wasn't as good a player as some people made out at the time. Some will agree, some won't. that's fine by me. I'd be less than happy if he ended up managing Rovers because he's totally in-experienced as a manager, not because of his ability as a player or the fact that he left the club under a cloud.

just listened to the Tim Sherwood interview on Talksport and in my view he isn't interested in the Rovers manager job.

so Bowyer must get it the Permanent manager job. don't see anyone out there I want to become manager who would come to Rovers in the current situation

just listened to the Tim Sherwood interview on Talksport and in my view he isn't interested in the Rovers manager job.

so Bowyer must get it the Permanent manager job. don't see anyone out there I want to become manager who would come to Rovers in the current situation

We don't know that for certain, I think it's highly likely that if we carried out a proper managerial search and appointment process I think we would get some interested candidates with varying levels of management experience. Instead of giving Bowyer the job because he's cheap and it's the easy option why don't we do it right this time?

It's called objectivity. Some of us have it, some just go along with the herd. If Sherwood was better than Batty he would have won more caps. How many did he win whilst he was at Rovers ?

I agree Batty probably was better. I was referring to the more extreme comments in the thread, such as your claim that Flitcroft and Berkovic were. Nothing objective whatsoever going on there, that's very reminiscent of your anti-Pedersen views. I assume Sherwood was your designated scapegoat for that era.

I'm guessing then that Bowyer won't be confirmed today. No doubt we'll get another 'Bowyer should be appointed today' line in the LET tomorrow..and the next day...and the next. Why don't they just be honest and say 'there's no second guessing this mob so we haven't a clue when anyone will be appointed'.

I agree Batty probably was better. I was referring to the more extreme comments in the thread, such as your claim that Flitcroft and Berkovic were. Nothing objective whatsoever going on there, that's very reminiscent of your anti-Pedersen views. I assume Sherwood was your designated scapegoat for that era.

We could argue the toss about Flitty but Berkovic was apreciably better, again in my opinion. I know he wasn't a tackler but neither was Sherwood unless he was forced into it. Courage takes many forms on the football field, there's the Kevin Moran / Colin Hendrey types flinging whatever bit of their body is needed in the way of the ball, and there's the Eyal Berkovic's of this world who'll show for the ball and demand possession no matter what the situation, no matter what the score is. They don't hide, and they take the fight to the opposition constantly. That sort of player gets you on top in close games. I remember him playing for 'City in the Manchester derby after he left us. He passed a late fitness test and proceded to run Utd ragged in midfield, and that's when Utd's midfield was the best in Europe. They just couldn't deal with him running the ball from centre midfield. A top, top player.

I don't have scapegoats, I have guys who deserve to wear the shirt and guys who don't.

The midfielders who played for us during the golden era were brilliant in their own right and in their own style. It's no use trying to compare one to another.

Sherwood was captain, playmaker, goal scorer and a very, very good player.

When he was injured, Flitcroft and McKinley formed a superb partnership that should never have been broken when Sherwood became fit again (IMO). Tim should have been made to wait his turn on the bench.

Batty was a godsend. Only he could take the weight off the defence and keep possession. Hendry said all we have to do is give the ball to Batty.

Now Paul Warhurst was different again. IMO he was the only other player as well as Shearer who had world class ability.

Mark Atkins had a good engine to make up for his lack of skill. But he could get himself into goal scoring positions better than most. It was strange that when Atkins played we did well but as soon as we lost his services our form slumped. King Kenny recognised the worth of Atkins and Wilcox.

By the way, I am over the moon that we are not having Sherwood forced on us as manager. GB for me.

I'm guessing then that Bowyer won't be confirmed today. No doubt we'll get another 'Bowyer should be appointed today' line in the LET tomorrow..and the next day...and the next. Why don't they just be honest and say 'there's no second guessing this mob so we haven't a clue when anyone will be appointed'.

Yes, when the LET reports that club officials are confused by reports linking Sherwood with the job and that they hope to appoint Bowyer, I would basically read that as a Shagnew statement.

Archived