BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] possible transfer targets summer 2013

Regarding reducing the wage bill, I think we'll see a lot of the players winding down their contracts rather than leaving this summer.

Any spare cash Rovers had has probably gone to pay off Murphy, I can't see us being able to avoid to pay a lump sum now to get rid of Robbo/Givet etc

I can see Dann being sold to attempt to balance the books.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding reducing the wage bill, I think we'll see a lot of the players winding down their contracts rather than leaving this summer.

Any spare cash Rovers had has probably gone to pay off Murphy, I can't see us being able to avoid to pay a lump sum now to get rid of Robbo/Givet etc

I can see Dann being sold to attempt to balance the books.

Doubt that he will bring in enough.

You've seen him - would you pay the supposed five or six million that Rovers want ?

Big problem building here in that we aren't shifting enough out.

I think there are targets to be achieved by end of August in terms of surplus transfer trading and reduction in wages.

As things stand, there is only one way this can be addressed and I think most know, and dread, the solution.

I suspect you're scaremongering there Mercer rather than speaking from a position of having any genuine insider knowledge but I must admit I didn't like GB's comments in yesterday's LT in which he seemed to more or less concede we would lose players we don't want to lose at the end of the window.

If no-one leaves we certainly don't need another striker imo. I would play Rhodes and Rochina and would only use Best and Campbell as back up. So if we're after another striker perhaps that's a little worrying in itself.

Doubt that he will bring in enough.

You've seen him - would you pay the supposed five or six million that Rovers want ?

No, but I can deffo see one of the PL clubs such as Villa, Sunderland, Fulham, Hull, West Ham etc becoming desperate after an experienced CB if they have a bad start on their campaign or significant injuries etc

I suspect you're scaremongering there Mercer rather than speaking from a position of having any genuine insider knowledge but I must admit I didn't like GB's comments in yesterday's LT in which he seemed to more or less concede we would lose players we don't want to lose at the end of the window.

If no-one leaves we certainly don't need another striker imo. I would play Rhodes and Rochina and would only use Best and Campbell as back up. So if we're after another striker perhaps that's a little worrying in itself.

Agree with you about the striker front assuming that Rochina doesn't want out, DJ remains fit, and Best can actually do something half-decent. Problem is there are rumours of Rochina wanting out, DJ is already crocked for another 2 months, and Best hasn't shown any quality as of yet. So think we do look a bit light up front in light of all this. And that's before we consider the possiblity of Rhodes going...

It's not scaremongering but it is my opinion whatever that may be based upon.

A couple of other points to consider - firstly, I would be staggered if any commercial organisation, struggling to manage its cash as Rovers clearly are, did not have such financial targets in place and secondly, all the peripheral 'noises' (you quote GB) suggest the same.

I agree, Rhodes will be gone by the end of the transfer window, probably at a cut price.

If he bangs 5/6 goals in August, you might be right that he'll be gone, but not on the cheap.

But if he carries on like pre-season, I can't see anyone paying even half what we payed for him.

Looks like we could see some serious barrel scraping soon and its likely we will start the season with Lowe and Marrow in the middle

I think it obvious from the pre season games Bowyer intends to play with two defensive midfielders. Lowe and Marrow seem to be his preferred choices, although Dunn could play there alongside one of them as he did at Wrecsam where he got more time on the ball to spray passes around.

Agree with you about the striker front assuming that Rochina doesn't want out, DJ remains fit, and Best can actually do something half-decent. Problem is there are rumours of Rochina wanting out, DJ is already crocked for another 2 months, and Best hasn't shown any quality his whole career as of yet. So think we do look a bit light up front in light of all this. And that's before we consider the possiblity of Rhodes going...

He's only out for 2 months so just get a loanee in or play King there. Well actually maybe just get a loan in.

Will Keane must be alive by now, Graham Burke at Villa maybe Fuere at Chelsea would join Kane?

Gotta feeling this deal for Bannan is not dead. It's just a way of Rovers saying they're not gonna be conned into paying a huge agent fee. As others have said, the correct approach to take.

They key thing is Bannan wants to come and Villa want to sell.

I have a feeling that bowyer still has reservations on bannan and is looking at other options before finalising any deal. We know what financial package it would take to bring in bannan now so I think of bowyer can't get anyone better before Friday he will go back in for him

We probably just have to offload a Givet or a couple of squad players before they'll sanction the type of wage he wants, fair enough i suppose.

Isn't it more a case of not waniting to pay a huge agent fee? Don't think wages are an issue.

We probably just have to offload a Givet or a couple of squad players before they'll sanction the type of wage he wants, fair enough i suppose.

Easier said than done!

Will cost serious money to shift Robbo, Orr, Givet, Etuhu, MGP etc. Looking at annual wage costs of about £9ish million plus N.I. etc. Doubt you would 'buy them out' for less than £6ish million. That is one big problem - unless you sell Dann or Rhodes or both !

Isn't it more a case of not waniting to pay a huge agent fee? Don't think wages are an issue.

I doubt the deal would go on ice though if it was just down to agents fee. Surely if his client was happy with the deal he'd tell his agent to drop his demands or find a way of sorting it. I don't think the player or his agent are in that much of a powerfull position, Villa want shut and there doesn't seem to be a bidding war for him. The problem could be at the villa end though.

Easier said than done!

Will cost serious money to shift Robbo, Orr, Givet, Etuhu, MGP etc. Looking at annual wage costs of about £9ish million plus N.I. etc. Doubt you would 'buy them out' for less than £6ish million. That is one big problem - unless you sell Dann or Rhodes or both !

Sod paying them off, we've got rid of the bad egg that was Murphy. The rest i would make a huge effort to loan out, even if paying some of the wages. Or use them of course.

I doubt the deal would go on ice though if it was just down to agents fee. Surely if his client was happy with the deal he'd tell his agent to drop his demands or find a way of sorting it. I don't think the player or his agent are in that much of a powerfull position, Villa want shut and there doesn't seem to be a bidding war for him. The problem could be at the villa end though.

Sod paying them off, we've got rid of the bad egg that was Murphy. The rest i would make a huge effort to loan out, even if paying some of the wages. Or use them of course.

Apparently, it's not that simple regarding agent fees. A player cannot just tell their agent to lower their demands as they have a pre-arrangment with them according to the reliable Makey11.

Apparently, it's not that simple regarding agent fees. A player cannot just tell their agent to lower their demands as they have a pre-arrangment with them according to the reliable Makey11.

Yes it could even be the old percentage of wages thing that these leeches sometimes get. If so then i hope Rovers stand firm.

Seems to me as though we're keen for the player to come here, the player less so. The agents demands could be a convenient way of holding things up to see if there is any other interest from elsewhere. If the player desperately wanted to join I'm sure he and his agent would find a way to make it happen between them.

Got to say I've never seen Bannan play but given his off field reputation I'm not sure it's a deal we should be throwing the kitchen sink at financially unless he's very very good indeed.

Seems to me as though we're keen for the player to come here, the player less so. The agents demands could be a convenient way of holding things up to see if there is any other interest from elsewhere. If the player desperately wanted to join I'm sure he and his agent would find a way to make it happen between them.

Got to say I've never seen Bannan play but given his off field reputation I'm not sure it's a deal we should be throwing the kitchen sink at financially unless he's very very good indeed.

Don't really know how agents fees work but they know Rovers have been a soft touch in the past with fees to agents so are probably trying their luck.

Think the deal will still go through at some point but we're not being conned anymore by agent fees.

Whilst I agree Rovers should not be paying over inflated wages or agent fees you can't help but feel they would be making a massive mistake if they missed out on Bannan because of that.

A fee of £750,000 for Bannan is very cheap indeed. A full international, plenty of ability, still young at 24 and re-sale value. Be very disappointed if this does not come off. He could be the difference between mid-table and top 6.

It's a bit like the Rochina situation isn't it? Arguably you're getting a very talented player for an absolute snip but the catch is you have to pay the agent way over the odds. In my view you have to look at the overall cost of the deal and judge if you're still getting value for money.

I think we got a cracking deal overall on Rochina. In Bannan's case my view would tend to be the same as Neal's not having seen him play.

It's a bit like the Rochina situation isn't it? Arguably you're getting a very talented player for an absolute snip but the catch is you have to pay the agent way over the odds. In my view you have to look at the overall cost of the deal and judge if you're still getting value for money.

I think we got a cracking deal overall on Rochina. In Bannan's case my view would tend to be the same as Neal's not having seen him play.

Exactly. You have to take into account the overall cost and a £750,000 transfer fee is a snip. If that means paying his agent a little more then so be it. However, that depends on how much is agent wants of course.

You have to think long term value as well. Bannan's value could easily go up and then we'd recoup the money back. Similar to Rhodes. He looked like an expensive signing at the time but he'll pay for himself. We'll sell him on for a big profit which will essentially cover the transfer fee and wages we paid him.

Archived