BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Championship 2013/14

Dyche is not a good manager? I don't mind admitting I've had my doubts about his style HOWEVER, when he took over he turned a team with the worst defensive record in the league to a team with the second best - without signing a player!

Don't get me wrong, our current position of 4th is not really where we are at - anything 10th or above is massive achievement but he can only play the games in front of him - and so far he's picked up 7 from 9 and won every pre season game. I'd suggest Dyche is a better manager than you are giving him credit for, have you actually looked at who he's signed? Read back on this thread, were we not being mocked for signing a reject from Huddersfield and Sunderland - did many of your fans not even dismiss the signing of Jones as almost a relief for you as you wanted better?

I'm happier with the manager with each passing week - though I've still got concerns over the style. Our next 2 league games are brighton and derby away, I guess after those 2 we will have a better idea of just how much we can hope to avoid a relegation dog fight but looking at your club over the last 24 months I don't think you are in a position to call a manager with Dyches record @#/?.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

You got Jones because we didn't want him that may end up working in your favour and at our expense seeing as we wanted better but didn't have the cash / pulling power

Remember that we were top after 5 games last year and in the top 6 around November. Palace were bottom after 4 games, Watford and Brighton were mid table.

It means nothing yet. Burnley and Blackpool will both struggle imo despite their good starts.

It means something when the don't give a flying turd.

You got Jones because we didn't want him that may end up working in your favour and at our expense seeing as we wanted better but didn't have the cash / pulling power

That may be the case - but that is not what I heard. I heard he actually signed for 2 main reasons - firstly he wouldn't have to move and secondly because of the belief Dyche expressed in him. It may all be rubbish but as far as I know you didn't even try to sign him so he didn't make a choice. Based on games so far I'm glad we've got him, whatever the circumstances.

That may be the case - but that is not what I heard. I heard he actually signed for 2 main reasons - firstly he wouldn't have to move and secondly because of the belief Dyche expressed in him. It may all be rubbish but as far as I know you didn't even try to sign him so he didn't make a choice. Based on games so far I'm glad we've got him, whatever the circumstances.

I think you are right , I have heard we made no attempt to sign him ...

The guy who went to Leeds was 1st choice ..

Play has been mixed, good periods in games and bad ones. Defensively we look very solid but there is a danger that we still seem to have a habit of scoring and then trying to defend the lead.

I think we've deserved the points - maybe only just at Sheffield (based upon friends as I wasn't there) - and I'm pleased for them. As you say we have limited depth and at some point that is going to bite but the first 11 look decent enough. I always felt we'd be bottom half. If we get lucky then maybe 12th to15th, more likely 15th -18th but I'm a little less worried about relegation now than I was before the season kicked off. If the manager can get us 11th or above then he's done a fantastic job.

Eddie knows he has a winner in wee Dougie.

Bolton are still two signings off being a real challenger for top two. Let's not forget, they have played both Reading & Forest who are many folks' favourites to go straight up.

Will Rhodes debut for Bolton at Ewood on 31 August - now that would be a story !

Mercer please @#/? off saying wee dougie every 5 minutes. Go and support them if you want. Just stop spouting @#/? about them on here. FFS.

Play has been mixed, good periods in games and bad ones. Defensively we look very solid but there is a danger that we still seem to have a habit of scoring and then trying to defend the lead.

I think we've deserved the points - maybe only just at Sheffield (based upon friends as I wasn't there) - and I'm pleased for them. As you say we have limited depth and at some point that is going to bite but the first 11 look decent enough. I always felt we'd be bottom half. If we get lucky then maybe 12th to15th, more likely 15th -18th but I'm a little less worried about relegation now than I was before the season kicked off. If the manager can get us 11th or above then he's done a fantastic job.

I like dyche, think he's a solid manager. My thing with him tho is that he's got no plan b. His game plan is based on keeping clean sheets which obviously relies on scoring the first goal. He's a bit like Appleton in that respect.

Doesn't seem to be any ambition at Burnley these days to get back to the prem. Don't spend any money.

• Backroom

- did many of your fans not even dismiss the signing of Jones as almost a relief for you as you wanted better?

Err, no they really didn't. unless you have been reading a different board, or perhaps more likely are looking through both slightly bitter and smug eyes.

Pretty much every poster to a man on here said Jones was a good, solid player and would do a job for any Championship club he signed for.

The point most made was there was also better out there. Jay spearing and james mclean were two mentioned, but we missed out, it happens. But tbh on what I have seen so far Cairney looks twice the player Jones is.

So you coming on here all pleased with yourself after 3 games making out like you have bagged a coup by unearthing the next Viera, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes just makes you look like a bit of a tit.

You have signed a few good solid players, and had an excellent start to the season, but I wouldn't start shooting your bolt yet lad. ;)

The Champ is a marathon not a sprint, as your dull pals kept repeating ad nauseam last season when we were topping the league early on. and you were all bang on too, if somewhat monotonous.

Strange how with the starts the two respective teams have made this year that theory seems to have gone out the window and you just can't help crowing on.

Oh well, I suppose that's what 34 years or hurt does to you. :rover:

Funny you say that R11 - other than the season under flood there's never seemed to be huge ambition to do it. Since relegation all we've heard is 'punching above our weight', 'no money' and so it goes - then we hear that we made an 8 million loss last season, the directors have put 10 million in over the last 3 years and last season we would have made a lost of about 4 million but for the Rodriguez sale. So add 8 million this season to 7 million for Jay and that's 15 million in 2 seasons above normal income (which would also include around 20 million in parachute payments.

So in effect we've been spunking money left right and centre, without even saying we are trying to get promoted. I can't say we've had any amazing signings and certainly no large fee's paid out so lord knows what they have been spending what but be between 20 and 30 million a season on!

Honestly outside a select few it seems nobody in this country knows how to run a football club properly

Same problem as us then. Spent a fortune but nothing to show for it. We have an average championship team.

Just shows how important it is to have people running a club who know what they are doing and can invest the money wisely.

I really can't see Burnley in the prem for quite a long time. Like us, you seem to be getting weaker each year.

Err, no they really didn't. unless you have been reading a different board, or perhaps more likely are looking through both slightly bitter and smug eyes.

Pretty much every poster to a man on here said Jones was a good, solid player and would do a job for any Championship club he signed for.

The point most made was there was also better out there. Jay spearing and james mclean were two mentioned, but we missed out, it happens. But tbh on what I have seen so far Cairney looks twice the player Jones is.

So you coming on here all pleased with yourself after 3 games making out like you have bagged a coup by unearthing the next Viera, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes just makes you look like a bit of a tit.

You have signed a few good solid players, and had an excellent start to the season, but I wouldn't start shooting your bolt yet lad. ;)

The Champ is a marathon not a sprint, as your dull pals kept repeating ad nauseam last season when we were topping the league early on. and you were all bang on too, if somewhat monotonous.

Strange how with the starts the two respective teams have made this year that theory seems to have gone out the window and you just can't help crowing on.

Oh well, I suppose that's what 34 years or hurt does to you. :rover:

I can only assume you didn't read what I posted, instead you went around the houses to get the 34 years in. You are right most said Jones was solid and many said solid but not good enough for you so I think it was reasonable to interpret that as glad we'd signed him and you hadn't. Nobody said he was the next Viera or Keane but so far he has looked better than anything we had in the centre over the last 2 seasons.

As I say, read what I said. Look at where I've consistently predicted WE are likely to finish. You'll notice I've not talked about where you will finish - in fact on one thread I said something along the lines of 'it's only a couple of games in'.

Why am I even bothering to defend myself against somebody who can't even be bothered to read all the contributions, instead taking one comment out of context and trying to make it mean something completely different.

Funny you say that R11 - other than the season under flood there's never seemed to be huge ambition to do it. Since relegation all we've heard is 'punching above our weight', 'no money' and so it goes - then we hear that we made an 8 million loss last season, the directors have put 10 million in over the last 3 years and last season we would have made a lost of about 4 million but for the Rodriguez sale. So add 8 million this season to 7 million for Jay and that's 15 million in 2 seasons above normal income (which would also include around 20 million in parachute payments.

So in effect we've been spunking money left right and centre, without even saying we are trying to get promoted. I can't say we've had any amazing signings and certainly no large fee's paid out so lord knows what they have been spending what but be between 20 and 30 million a season on!

Honestly outside a select few it seems nobody in this country knows how to run a football club properly

Me either - I'd go one further and say relegation at some point in the next few years for us seems inevitable - only so long you can compete against the clubs with double your gates and/or wealthy backers

I can only assume you didn't read what I posted, instead you went around the houses to get the 34 years in. You are right most said Jones was solid and many said solid but not good enough for you so I think it was reasonable to interpret that as glad we'd signed him and you hadn't. Nobody said he was the next Viera or Keane but so far he has looked better than anything we had in the centre over the last 2 seasons.

As I say, read what I said. Look at where I've consistently predicted WE are likely to finish. You'll notice I've not talked about where you will finish - in fact on one thread I said something along the lines of 'it's only a couple of games in'.

Why am I even bothering to defend myself against somebody who can't even be bothered to read all the contributions, instead taking one comment out of context and trying to make it mean something completely different.

Out of interest, where do you think we'll finish? Some are saying bottom 3, a minority saying top 10, most (like myself) saying mid table.

What do you make of our summer transfer business?

A bit early for me R11, not seen anything of you etc. Before the season started I'd have said 8th-10th - thought you lacked a little for a serious top 6 tilt but would not have ruled it out.

a couple of games won't really change that and I'd still expect you to be top 10 at least - just hoping your form doesn't turn until after the 14th September

• Backroom

First of all, what you "interpret", is not what "many" of our fans think. The clue is in the word, it's your interpretation, or your personal view on it if you like.

And I read your post fine thanks, and since you insist on pointing me back to it again, I thought it was total cack pretty much from start to finish. A patronising comment about 4th is not really where we are at. Course it isn't, it's 3 games in ffs. So why even mention that?

And then another stupid comment about how a rovers fan can't have an opinion on your manager because of what has happened the last 24 months at our club. What the @#/? has that got to do with anything?!! You read this board regularly so you are well aware that the majority are more than aware of the succession of below par, inexperienced, and downright poor managers we have had at the club. How does that effect us having a view on yours?

I can't stand that attitude, and it is all too common. If I want to have an opinion on, say, Martinez at Everton being crap, then I am entitled to that view. It's generally only idiots from the big clubs that give it - " Well, who are you to judge, your crappy Blackburn in the Championship!" Yeah so what? I know how crap my club is, didn't realise that then banned me from having an opinion on any other club.

So, you see, your post was generally laced with patronising and stupid comments throughout. So don't tell me what I did or didn't read properly.

A bit early for me R11, not seen anything of you etc. Before the season started I'd have said 8th-10th - thought you lacked a little for a serious top 6 tilt but would not have ruled it out.

a couple of games won't really change that and I'd still expect you to be top 10 at least - just hoping your form doesn't turn until after the 14th September

That's interesting to have an outside perspective. I'm surprised you've said top 10 tbh.

I don't think we'll get relegated simply coz there are some seriously poor teams in the division. Yeovil, Millwall, Sheffield w, Charlton, Doncaster, Birmingham are incredibly poor. I also expect Blackpool and yourselves to struggle but not go down.

You need to start producing your own players, sell them for a fat profit and then reinvest that money into building your team. It's what we did for years under the walkers trust.

First of all, what you "interpret", is not what "many" of our fans think. The clue is in the word, it's your interpretation, or your personal view on it if you like.

And I read your post fine thanks, and since you insist on pointing me back to it again, I thought it was total cack pretty much from start to finish. A patronising comment about 4th is not really where we are at. Course it isn't, it's 3 games in ffs. So why even mention that?

And then another stupid comment about how a rovers fan can't have an opinion on your manager because of what has happened the last 24 months at our club. What the Kean has that got to do with anything?!! You read this board regularly so you are well aware that the majority are more than aware of the succession of below par, inexperienced, and downright poor managers we have had at the club. How does that effect us having a view on yours?

I can't stand that attitude, and it is all too common. If I want to have an opinion on, say, Martinez at Everton being crap, then I am entitled to that view. It's generally only idiots from the big clubs that give it - " Well, who are you to judge, your crappy Blackburn in the Championship!" Yeah so what? I know how crap my club is, didn't realise that then banned me from having an opinion on any other club.

So, you see, your post was generally laced with patronising and stupid comments throughout. So don't tell me what I did or didn't read properly.

I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion, I said it was a bit rich calling him @#/?, bearing in mind since he came to us he's achieved better results than your club with a squad of players that, outside 1 or 2, none of you would want in your team. I'm not sure I said you were 'crappy blackburn' in the championship at any point.

That's interesting to have an outside perspective. I'm surprised you've said top 10 tbh.

I don't think we'll get relegated simply coz there are some seriously poor teams in the division. Yeovil, Millwall, Sheffield w, Charlton, Doncaster, Birmingham are incredibly poor. I also expect Blackpool and yourselves to struggle but not go down.

You need to start producing your own players, sell them for a fat profit and then reinvest that money into building your team. It's what we did for years under the walkers trust.

I think those days are gone for us, we simply can't compete with the big clubs hovering up the talent. We might manage to find the odd one now and then but nowhere near enough. Under Williams you did seem to have a formula for finding the players and then driving a hard bargain when 'the big boys' came calling. Not sure you'll be able to get back to that under your current regime.

I'm just hoping that this unit Dyche has pulled together can keep us away from trouble - right now it does look like a case of the total being greater than the sum of the parts. We really do lack any depth though and as the games come this could be our undoing - we will need a lot of luck with injuries and suspensions.

You make your future sound very bleak. Given just how bleak ours is looking and given the situation at PNE Lancs County needs to happen sooner rather than later.

To think so is to dance on the grave of the great John Lewis and his other co founders.

Long live the Rovers !

Arte et labore

Watching MoTD followed by the Football League show and the gulf in quality is massive. Might just be me but the gap does appear to be widening. If anybody in the Championship is on more than 100k pa they are guilty of obtaining money under false pretences.

Watching MoTD followed by the Football League show and the gulf in quality is massive. Might just be me but the gap does appear to be widening. If anybody in the Championship is on more than 100k pa they are guilty of obtaining money under false pretences.

The gap is absolutely huge. Just makes it strange that a PL club signing players from the lower leagues around the world was championed by so many as the way forward. Working well so far innit!

I think it can work, den. If scouted properly and bought, first and foremost, for footballing reasons by a proper football manager (not a coach or imposter).

See Hughes, during his time with us as the best example. It was getting harder though even then so it must be nearly impossible now though.

The difference is the mix of youth and experience - all bought into the manager's ethos.

P.S. can you believe it's been 5 years since he left. Seems a lifetime ago...

Archived