BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Thanks goodness for that. England didn't deserve to lose this series and 2-2 at least gives them a semblence of respectability. Hats off to Broad - what a player and what a way to end a career - but why is he retiring? He's bowling as well as ever. Credit to Mooen too on his Test comeback and retirement (again)

Cos he had enough of playing and was to go out playing his last test in the Ashes and spend more time with his partner and child. 

Having said all that, England have blown a golden opportunity to regain the Ashes this summer. This isn';t a vintage convict team and we could have won comfortably this series. The mistakes in selection, captaincy, Bazball tactics and individual errors at Edgbaston and Lord's proved costly, particularly the first Test.

You still don't understand what Stokes and McCullum even tho me and several others including Den has explained to you. 

You were asked more than twice who you would replace Stokes and McCullum with but you choose to ignore the question. 

what mistakes in selection? 

Time to salute the old and bring in the new. Anderson cannot be first choice any longer and there's several candidates waiting to pick up the mantle. Leach can take Moeen's place when fit and there's a couple of promising spinners in the county game waiting for the call. Above all, James Rew has to come in as the new batsman/wicketkeeper. 

I think Stokes will want Anderson in India to give the squad some experience. 

My squad:- Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Bairstow, Stokes, Foakes, Lawrence, Jacks, Leach, Ahmed, Anderson, Wood, Tongue, Potts, Stone

55 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Loved that. Fantastic entertaining series. I was hooked throughout. 

Pleased you have enjoyed the series 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos he had enough of playing and was to go out playing his last test in the Ashes and spend more time with his partner and child. 

You still don't understand what Stokes and McCullum even tho me and several others including Den has explained to you. 

You were asked more than twice who you would replace Stokes and McCullum with but you choose to ignore the question. 

what mistakes in selection? 

I've made it clear many times why I have my doubts about Bazball and why there are other, well proven ways of winning Test matches and why playing attacking cricket all the time does not always work and why it's better sometimes to rein it in and play smart, sensible cricket.

I'm delighted England won today and drew an Ashes series they should really have won if they'd been a bit more careful and the coach, captain and individual players not made so many mistakes at Edgbaston and Lord's, which again I've explained many times.

Beating Australia is always satisfying and while England did not not deserve to lose this series as seemed possible a few times in this Test, and did well to fight back and level the series in the end after being 2-0 down, it could and should have been so much better. 

For what it's worth..... and you won't like this ...... but I have been watching England Test cricket for more than 60 years and although  there are some very good players in this England team there isn't one player who would get in my all-time England XI. This isn't a great England team - nowhere near it. It couldn't even take back the Ashes against a misfiring and ageing Australia team. 

These are my opinions formed from decades of playing and watching the game. Some will agree and some will disagree. I don't have to keep explaining them and  I don't care if you don't like them.  And as someone else also told you on the football messageboard, no one has to answer your silly questions. 

Goodnight. 

Edited by jim mk2

It was an amazing ashes. So many ups and downs, close calls, brilliant cricket and a bit of controversy as well to add to the tension. 

England thoroughly deserved to draw the series. If we’d had Archer and Leach, plus Woods and Woakes from the start, I think we'd have won easily. 

I'm gutted its over but also relived. I work for myself and have taken way too much time off to watch the cricket! 😬

The hundred starts tomorrow. I don't know about others but I'm just not that interested. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I've made it clear many times why I have my doubts about Bazball and why there are other, well proven ways of winning Test matches and why playing attacking cricket all the time does not always work and why it's better sometimes to rein it in and play smart, sensible cricket.

I'm delighted England won today and drew an Ashes series they should really have won if they'd been a bit more careful and the coach, captain and individual players not made so many mistakes at Edgbaston and Lord's, which again I've explained many times. Beating Australia is always satisfying and while England did not not deserve to lose this series as seemed possible a few times in this Test, and did well to fight back and level the series in the end after being 2-0 down, it could and should have been so much better. 

For what it's worth..... and you won't like this ...... but I have been watching England Test cricket for more than 60 years and although  there are some very good players in this England team there isn't one player who would get in my all-time England XI. This isn't a great England team - nowhere near it. It couldn't even take back the Ashes against a misfiring and ageing Australia team. 

These are my opinions formed from decades of playing and watching the game. I don't have to keep explaining them and  I don't care if you don't like them.  And as someone else also told you on the football messageboard, no one has to answer your silly questions. 

Goodnight. 

What's your all time XI, Jim?

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Thanks goodness for that. England didn't deserve to lose this series and 2-2 at least gives them a semblence of respectability. Hats off to Broad - what a player and what a way to end a career - but why is he retiring? He's bowling as well as ever. Credit to Mooen too on his Test comeback and retirement (again)

Having said all that, England have blown a golden opportunity to regain the Ashes this summer. This isn';t a vintage convict team and we could have won comfortably this series. The mistakes in selection, captaincy, Bazball tactics and individual errors at Edgbaston and Lord's proved costly, particularly the first Test.

Time to salute the old and bring in the new. Anderson cannot be first choice any longer and there's several candidates waiting to pick up the mantle. Leach can take Moeen's place when fit and there's a couple of promising spinners in the county game waiting for the call. Above all, James Rew has to come in as the new batsman/wicketkeeper. 

At no stage during the Series did the Aussies bat as a consistent unit, they were prone to individual failure and collapses.

We missed one hell of an opportunity to thrash them.

The weather beat us at OT, we beat ourselves at Lords.

It was a great watch throughout.

Broad has some scriptwriter.

Great team? great Captain? Not until you beat the Aussies home and away. Some have ....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChrisyG said:

It was an amazing ashes. So many ups and downs, close calls, brilliant cricket and a bit of controversy as well to add to the tension. 

England thoroughly deserved to draw the series. If we’d had Archer and Leach, plus Woods and Woakes from the start, I think we'd have won easily. 

I'm gutted its over but also relived. I work for myself and have taken way too much time off to watch the cricket! 😬

The hundred starts tomorrow. I don't know about others but I'm just not that interested. 

I've now taken to T20 and will watch the Hundred.

I just view it for what it is.

Baseball played with a cricket bat and ball although some games are more like Rounders played by blokes.

Am I or a cricket fan from Liverpool supposed to be supporting some made up team called the ‘Manchester Originals’? Somebody from Bristol or Somerset getting behind ‘Welsh Fire’?

Ridiculous competition brought in by a ridiculous organisation attempting a power grab, but at least it sounds like it will be scrapped sooner or later.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

In all the euphoria and back slapping after the game yesterday, it never dawned on me until this morning that England took 7 wickets after the rain delay yesterday, 7 wickets!

What time did they come back on? 4.30pm'ish? 

That is some going that against the best side in the world.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Brilliant series. Enjoyed every minute of it and didn’t want it to end.

I still think England bossed the Aussies throughout. Australia spent most of the series hanging on to Englands coat tails. Why? Two reasons. Firstly this isn’t an Australia team to compare to previous Australia teams, although it’s still a bloody good one. Secondly, Englands positive approach throughout left them hanging on. 

All in all, watching the top players going head to head in any sport is just riveting.

Was it Jim that asked why is Broad retiring? A lot of people will be asking that this morning, although to be fair he’d be nearly 40 by the time the Ashes come around again. What am I going to watch now?

Edited by den
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

In all the euphoria and back slapping after the game yesterday, it never dawned on me until this morning that England took 7 wickets after the rain delay yesterday, 7 wickets!

What time did they come back on? 4.30pm'ish? 

That is some going that against the best side in the world.

Or a batting collapse with good bowling assisted by conditions, the "ball" and the 12th Man, the crowd.

Whatever it was it was a fabulous watch and Broad, what a winner he is.

We should have won the Series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 47er said:

because he's almost 40 and because he's got a lucrative contract with SKY!

It was a rhetorical question.

Now the Ashes are over frustration is the over riding emotion. England missed an outstanding opportunity to give them a 4-0 spanking. That would have been delicious and so satisfying after the maulings we’ve suffered over the years.

I read this morning we scored at 4.6 an over during the series and they scored at 3.2. Yet the series finished 2-2, showing there’s more than one way to skin a cat

The Hundred starts today, giving Bazball addicts the chance to continue their fix. I won’t be watching 

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It was a rhetorical question.

Now the Ashes are over frustration is the over riding emotion. England missed an outstanding opportunity to give them a 4-0 spanking. That would have been delicious and so satisfying after the maulings we’ve suffered over the years.

I read this morning we scored at 4.6 an over during the series and they scored at 3.2. Yet the series finished 2-2, showing there’s more than one way to skin a cat

The Hundred starts today, giving Bazball addicts the chance to continue their fix. I won’t be watching 

One Day Cup is on today, Lancs v Essex at Sedbergh, plus WI v India so I'll give the Hundred a swerve.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, den said:

Inspection at 12 Matt

This is what I just don’t understand cricket. By 12 both sets of players and same again nos of support staff will have been charging around the outfield fucking about for 2 hours. If it’s good enough to play footy it’s good enough to play cricket. There’s no groundmen doing anything either, not even dragging the customary rope round the outfield, so not sure what the umpires are expecting to happen by 12 that’s going to be remotely different 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

You don't understand what Bazball is and it is no difference to other captains/head coaches in previous regimes saying it. Only difference if everything is Stokes won't slammed someone for playing an atatcking shot and getting out like previous captain 30 years would have done. Thank god the game has move on from that boring 2 runs an over days 

I'm delighted England won today and drew an Ashes series they should really have won if they'd been a bit more careful and the coach, captain and individual players not made so many mistakes at Edgbaston and Lord's, which again I've explained many times.

Beating Australia is always satisfying and while England did not not deserve to lose this series as seemed possible a few times in this Test, and did well to fight back and level the series in the end after being 2-0 down, it could and should have been so much better. 

The series have been great overall watch where England bossed the series and played positive cricket throughout the season. 

These are my opinions formed from decades of playing and watching the game. Some will agree and some will disagree. I don't have to keep explaining them and  I don't care if you don't like them. 

Well, what is worth I have been watching Test Cricket for 28 years now so my opinion is based on that and that the cricket need move on from the past ways of playing. Test cricket is under massive threat from Franchise cricket and unless we modernise and look at ways to attract the next generation to test cricket and keep them enjoying it. 

I think the way South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and West Indies state of the test cricket is horrible to see and I loved watching England play in South Africa in December and New Year period in a 5 test match series. We will never get to see that again at this rate 

And as someone else also told you on the football messageboard, no one has to answer your silly questions. 

It wasn't my question actually Jim, so please get your facts correct. Gav also asked you. Clearly you were trying to wind people up on here. 

Let’s not fall out chaps 

Overall it has been a brilliant series. One for the memory bank, for sure 

The final Broad spell was just sensational. The way he manipulates the ball is a real rare talent. I think it makes sense for him to retire - he’s reached the milestones he can realistically achieve and to leave on such an incredible series for him is the perfect ending to a brilliant career. I will miss his antics. You get the feeling if Anderson had broke the 700 wicket mark he would have retired as well. Maybe he needs one more summer, and you’d bet his house he will get them against Windies or Sri Lanka next year 

We need to look to the future now. I thought Tongue was very good in his one game. Woakes will be our leading swing baller for the next 4 years imo. He bowled as well as he has ever done and is as fit as a fiddle 

We look forward to the ODI World Cup now

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

At no stage during the Series did the Aussies bat as a consistent unit, they were prone to individual failure and collapses.

We missed one hell of an opportunity to thrash them.

The weather beat us at OT, we beat ourselves at Lords.

It was a great watch throughout.

Broad has some scriptwriter.

Great team? great Captain? Not until you beat the Aussies home and away. Some have ....

Just to win a game in Australia would be something, that we have only won test's in 1 of our last 5 tours is in an embarrassment. 

Australia come here and regardless of how good a team they have they usually compete our last 3 efforts down under have been pathetic a 5-0 & two 4-0's and one of those would have been 5-0 if not for the weather compare that to the last three in England you have two 2-2's and a 3-2 to England, they have won as many matches on their last 3 tours here as we have on our last 9 tours to Australia. I think it is safe to assume that Anderson won't be in the squad next time we tour there and that will mean that no one in our squad will have ever won a test in Australia.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Just to win a game in Australia would be something, that we have only won test's in 1 of our last 5 tours is in an embarrassment. 

Australia come here and regardless of how good a team they have they usually compete our last 3 efforts down under have been pathetic a 5-0 & two 4-0's and one of those would have been 5-0 if not for the weather compare that to the last three in England you have two 2-2's and a 3-2 to England, they have won as many matches on their last 3 tours here as we have on our last 9 tours to Australia. I think it is safe to assume that Anderson won't be in the squad next time we tour there and that will mean that no one in our squad will have ever won a test in Australia.

Ewood, Can I ask what would your squad be for the tour of India? 

I'd personally take young bowlers like Tongue, or spinners we've barely used but are doing well this season to compliment Leech. I'd leave Anderson and I that generation at home. We need to get the new guys in the squad now as we can't rely on 32+ year olds forever. I might end badly, but they'll need to build up experience somewhere, sometime.

• Like 1