BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

9 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

You find it exciting as its over quick 

You also found it exciting earlier in this thread oojw.

You were waxing lyrical about the 'new exciting approach' and how the side needs to be fully committed to it.

What has changed?

Edited by Gav

Talking about cricket, about the test side, about the first class county game, the one the one day game and the general direction of cricket in this country….

I was at the members forum at Old Trafford last night. The agenda was limited to the latest county wide updates on the hundred competition. 

Bear with me, there’s a lot to take in and I might not have got this 100% correct. Manchester Originals and the other seven Hundred teams are currently owned by the ECB. They are nothing to do with the counties apart from some of them lease out their grounds to those teams.  The proposal is that the ECB will give a substantial allocation of shares in Manchester Originals to LCCC. I assume the same applies to everyone else.  LCCC will receive an amount of shares worth well into the tens of millions. Being a part owner of M.O. will also allow them to look for and obtain sponsorship wort somewhere in the millions. 

Where does the money come from? Sky Tv. It should be known that Sky see no value in the county game. As far as the county game goes, the county championship loses money. Mark Chilton told the meeting that it’s so very difficult to get players to sign first class contracts because the players don’t make enough money from it. The players want to be playing franchise cricket, especially in the IPL.  He’s hoping that some of the money that could come into LCCC from the obtaining of shares in M.O.  will go into the county game. Who knows? 

The other side of cricket that excites the LCCC board is the women’s game. It’s growing so quickly and holds so much potential to become a money spinner. 

The current contract for the hundred ends in 2028. Lancashire could soon become a very profitable business. The counties that don’t host the hundred presently receive £1.3m per year as their share of the Sky hundred contract. Lancs will be way above that figure. 

Be in no doubt of where the game is heading.

Edited by den
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

This chimes with an article in the Times recently about conversation overheard among players in dressing rooms around the counties. They want to play where the money is: which is franchise cricket here and abroad. Many aren't interested in playing Test match cricket for England and county cricket is seen as a unrewarding chore.

It's also reinforced by comments such as this on the BBC website today after the fourth India Test:

"Who cares about the result - pro sport is there to entertain and this England team are awesome. As far as this series goes; I'd much rather see England lose an exciting series like this than win a borefest any day".

Read that again, they don't care about England losing: the playstation, Netflix generation only wants instant cricket entertainment.

• Moderation Lead
49 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This chimes with an article in the Times recently about conversation overheard among players in dressing rooms around the counties. They want to play where the money is: which is franchise cricket here and abroad. Many aren't interested in playing Test match cricket for England and county cricket is seen as a unrewarding chore.

It's also reinforced by comments such as this on the BBC website today after the fourth India Test:

"Who cares about the result - pro sport is there to entertain and this England team are awesome. As far as this series goes; I'd much rather see England lose an exciting series like this than win a borefest any day".

Read that again, they don't care about England losing: the playstation, Netflix generation only wants instant cricket entertainment.

I don’t think one comment makes up the views of an entire generation, but I imagine there are others that think that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2024 at 16:08, oldjamfan1 said:

I think (hope!) a few lessons are being learned on this tour.

The biggest one I've learned is that the next world cricket superstar is Indian.

They will have more than one.

Jaiswal will be up there.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

The averages for this series, bar one or two at 40 are appalling. What was it Australia used to say?

’4 out, all out’. Some things never change.

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Another horrendous surrender.

"England Collapse" should be the England cricket team's official title 

For me, only perhaps Crawley and the young spinners come out of this series with any credit.

Looks like 4-1. Should have been 5-0. I think we approached this series very naively and a few might pay the price.

5 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

For me, only perhaps Crawley and the young spinners come out of this series with any credit.

Looks like 4-1. Should have been 5-0. I think we approached this series very naively and a few might pay the price.

McCullum and Stokes need to rethink strategy - the gung-ho Bazball approach has been exposed.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

McCullum and Stokes need to rethink strategy - the gung-ho Bazball approach has been exposed.

It's not been gung ho though Jim. Its often been poorly thought out, ill disciplined, pre-meditated and strangely crafted / manufactured. Gung ho suggests a level of freedom, aggression, belief. certainty and focus. It's been weird, like we have never played in India before. 

Since day 3 in Ranchi it’s been an unmitigated disaster but jimmys 700th wicket definitely a high point. 9 to go past warne, 101 to go past murali, 300 for his 1000th test wicket.

We are 8/9 in the standings, and have lost I think 6 from 10 lost, with lost test at Manchester. Maybe, just maybe, this “Bazball” stuff is pure shite, and things like playing time, absorbing pressure, occupying the crease, keeping opponent in the field, the things that test cricket have been based on for 150 years are still important. Well at least to me. Maybe not to the yooof who need music and fireworks

• Like 3

In his 10 innings in India Stokes scored a total of just 199* runs.

We will go on to win Tests against teams that we would beat playing any style of Test cricket and the claims will ring out that BazBall is the future.

*For comparison Tom Hartley scored a total of 185

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Bazball works for flat track bullies but gets found out against the better teams and players who stick to the time-honoured Test match virtues of crease occupation and solid defence. But for one extraordinary innings from Pope this would have been a 5-0 whitewash. 

Reading the papers it seems Stokes is leading this attack at all costs mantra as much as McCullum. With an away Ashes series on the horizon it's time for a rethink because it won't work down there either.