BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

You weren’t far wrong with your prediction.

Yeah to score almost 300 in the 4th innings in India is not to be sniffed at. We need first innings runs in the next test match though, put a different kind of pressure on the Indians.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah to score almost 300 in the 4th innings in India is not to be sniffed at. We need first innings runs in the next test match though, put a different kind of pressure on the Indians.

I read yesterday that no team has ever scored 300 in the fourth innings in India (irrespective of the result).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

450, although feels like a lot of runs, is probably a par score. You can still get 5/1 for the draw in this match and that looks like good value to me.

207 for two at close was it, great performance from Ducket all to play for tomorrow 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody does batting collapses quite as well as England. They’re in a class of their own.

Nobody does great escapes like this team as well

• Like 4

India showing how to play attacking cricket but being sensible at the same time, defending when necessary and not giving wickets away and throwing away an advantage. Bazball is great when it works but is high risk and just as likely to fail. Heavy defeat on the cards now

On 29/01/2024 at 10:24, only2garners said:

Not very carefully then. He has played 21 first class games already. He has been a regular in the T20 competition for 2/3 seasons as well. I don't think he's played in the One Day Cup, but because he has been in the dreaded Hundred instead.

Wooooooosh.

Yesterday we were 89 for no wicket, Duckett had 50 off 39 and was flying, we were chasing 450 and had made a great start.

Ashwin hadn't bowled up to that point, but was then brought on to slow our momentum. Bowling around the wicket off spin.

Seven balls later the brain dead Crawley is out sweeping on 15 to a ball pitching 18 inches outside leg stump, that bounced and turned. A ball he could just kick away. Chips it to short fine leg placed waiting in a catching position.

His sole responsibility at that stage was to support and play 2nd fiddle to Duckett, control his ego, play for the team, but again he squandered his wicket with scant regard for the match situation.

This morning, 10 minutes into the days play, Root is out for 18, caught at 2nd slip trying to reverse scoop a medium fast bowler.  I am all for playing positively, but irresponsible stupidity like that is completely unacceptable.

The captain Stokes defended with a straight bat and played patiently.  As the match required. So why is Root batting like he is on meths?

Crawley isn't an opener. I don't care how many he carts through mid-wicket. He would be far better at 4, 5 or 6. Root is pissing me off regularly throwing his wicket away when we are relying on him. Bairstow has always been susceptible to anything nipping back.

I'd swap Root for Crawley. Tell Root to play properly, leave balls outside off stump, play straight, protect his castle and open the innings. No scooping until he is well past 50. Bairstow either bats and wicket keeps, or his place has to be under threat. If Root wasn't bowling, I wouldn't be unhappy to see him get a wake up call either.

Our bowlers are toiling in unfavourable conditions and the frontline batsmen ie Crawley, Duckett and Root have ultimately thrown their wickets away. It could have been even worse. No one could pick the leg spinner and his googly fooled them all. He went through bat and pad of Stokes 4 or 5 times.

I don't understand Bazball if our most technically gifted batsmen in Root is encouraged to play 20 over cricket away in fecking India chasing 450.

• Like 3

We lost this match at 89 for 0 with Crawley or 240 for 2 with Root in the first innings. We have lost the last 18 wickets for 200 or so. The shot selection and lack of personal responsibility is very disappointing.

This is one of the most painful test defeats i can ever remember. Even worse than Haynes and Greenidge scoring 300+ at Lords way back when.

Self inflicted, irresponsible, unprofessional, child-like and unacceptable. I've no idea where we go from here. It doesn't hurt the players enough when they get out. How can that be?

• Like 1