BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That is amazing from Hartley. I’ve seen a lot of him for Lancs and, got to be honest, I didn’t think he had that in him. 
He does have a very good temperament, and no doubt that helped his recovery in this game.

Thought we were looking at another one cap wonder, to add to Kerrigan and Parkinson.

No chance of that now 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martonrover said:

That is amazing from Hartley. I’ve seen a lot of him for Lancs and, got to be honest, I didn’t think he had that in him. 
He does have a very good temperament, and no doubt that helped his recovery in this game.

Thought we were looking at another one cap wonder, to add to Kerrigan and Parkinson.

No chance of that now 🙂

He won't get a pitch like that every day though! But who cares? One of those days you never forget, there are so many under Stokes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They tell me he plays for Lancashire, but I've never seen this man with a red rose on his cap and I watch pretty much every game on LancsTV. 

Not very carefully then. He has played 21 first class games already. He has been a regular in the T20 competition for 2/3 seasons as well. I don't think he's played in the One Day Cup, but because he has been in the dreaded Hundred instead.

I’ve seen quite a lot of Hartley and like quite a few others didn’t see him as an England bowler. The main reasons being that he’s a finger spinner, bowls quickly - almost a medium pace bowler and doesn’t give the ball much air. He’s very flat. However, that combination, on that pitch and in those conditions worked brilliantly for him yesterday.  That doesn’t make him an automatic international bowler yet but really great to see the lad do so well on debut and of all places - in India.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, den said:

I’ve seen quite a lot of Hartley and like quite a few others didn’t see him as an England bowler. The main reasons being that he’s a finger spinner, bowls quickly - almost a medium pace bowler and doesn’t give the ball much air. He’s very flat. However, that combination, on that pitch and in those conditions worked brilliantly for him yesterday.  That doesn’t make him an automatic international bowler yet but really great to see the lad do so well on debut and of all places - in India.

Sounds like Derek Underwood. He wasn’t bad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, den said:

He wasn’t bad, no. He made his name on the sticky, uncovered wickets.

I remember coming home from work one day about 5 o clock. The Aussies were batting on about 50 for 2. Underwood came on and had them all out in roughly an hour ! For the last couple of wickets he had every fielder in so close they were all in screen on the TV. As a kid I’d never seen anything like it.

A few years later on I saw England batting against India ( I think ). Heavy rain had got under the covers, then a really hot sun came out  India had two leg spinners bowling, Intikab Alam and Chandrasekhar ? England were doing ok at first, then the sun got going and all of a sudden the ball started turning square ! They skittled England out in about an hour that time. That was a real sticky wicket.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Underwood was unplayable in the right conditions. He bowled at a good pace, probably that of a decent club opening bowler, and managed to extract huge turn at the same time. I've never seen a bowler like before or since. "Flat Jack" was more of a slow bowler than a true spinner, he didn't turn it much. Very good in one-dayers but not a Test cricketer - he eat too many pies for the top level. 

2 hours ago, den said:

David Lloyd recommended Hartley to Rob Key during the summer, cos of the way he bowls and the type of spinners pitches in India requires. The great Shane Warne struggled in India and his bowling average was 43. 

DAVID LLOYD: I told Rob Key that match-winner Tom Hartley could cut it out in India - I was right! … https://mol.im/a/13017015 via https://dailym.ai/android

• Like 3

On 30/01/2024 at 20:47, Ianrally said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68138591

The Pakistan courts don't pull their punches, pity the Indian courts drag their feet.

The corruption within the legal system under military oversight in Pakistan surpasses that in India.

That takes some doing.

Meanwhile Root just gave a masterclass in how to edge to slip.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

253 all out and another mountain to climb. England got away with it in the first Test but batting fourth is unlikely to happen again. The Times made England favourites to win the second Test which never made much sense

• Like 2

India 255 all out, lead of 398. Great performance from our bowlers. 

Difficult task for our batters on a wicket that's keeping low but plenty of time.

Need a huge improvement from our top order.

Interesting point, India's batters have  largely failed in both innings apart from having a top performance from one batter in each.

• Like 1